BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Some advice is needed for my new board game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mister Monster
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hello everyone I've been a lurker for a while and wanted to finally come out of the shadows and pose a question.

You see I am going to be kickstarting a game within the next 6 months. It has been a labor of love and not without its pitfalls but I feel it is worth it.

before my question a little about the game.

The board is set up with 4 houses, one on each side of the board. players start in a house and must traverse the board to get supplies, complete objectives and so on in order to survive. There are several game modes involving different objectives but the main focus is on your home town being overrun by a supernatural force.

The board will use Hex cards inset into hex holes on the board. you move over the hex's and have the ability to overturn them as you go to search for things or possibly find a monster waiting to eat your face off.

Anyways, that's the most basic description of the game. Here are my questions.

1. I need to have each hexagon on the board cut an inch into the board. Would 1-2 laser cut boards be suitable for this or is there another way? The hex holes contain the cards so it is imperative they be inlaid.

2. The houses are to be plastic/resin or some other compound. on key parts of the house there are card slots for items you acquire during the game to fortify the building (ie: boarded up windows adds +2 defense against all attackers while a wreath of garlic adds +6 against vampires). My question is, as far as a 3D house which will also be inlaid into the board via pegs, what would be the most cost effective casting? Resin, plastic? Bulk 3D printing?

3. One last question, the game will allow for expansions very easily. it's built for it. I was considering a Cthulhu pack and would LOVE to do a zombies at my neighbors pack. what type of licensig would I have to get for something like that? Also what packs would any of you want to play?

I will be opening this up for play testing in a few months time and will update this thread (or start a new one for play testing) If anyone is interested in that as well let me know. I'm doing most of the art for this myself, all the construction etc. So this is very close to my heart. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
edenburning wrote:

3. One last question, the game will allow for expansions very easily. it's built for it. I was considering a Cthulhu pack and would LOVE to do a zombies at my neighbors pack. what type of licensig would I have to get for something like that? Also what packs would any of you want to play?

Well Lovecraft's work are all public domain now, so you can do anything Cthulhu-inspired that you wish, as long as you stick to things Lovecraft wrote himself. (There are other pieces of the Cthulhu mythos written by other authors that are not yet in the public domain.)

Zombies Ate My Neighbors is more difficult. The game was published by Konami and developed by LucasArts, two companies which are not well-known for being free and open with their intellectual property. You'll have to approach them to see who currently owns the rights to publish ZAMN board games. IF no one does, and IF they are willing to give or sell you the rights, then you can proceed. But don't make a move before hand, or you could get slapped with an ungodly amount of legal fees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
edenburning wrote:

2. The houses are to be plastic/resin or some other compound. on key parts of the house there are card slots for items you acquire during the game to fortify the building (ie: boarded up windows adds +2 defense against all attackers while a wreath of garlic adds +6 against vampires). My question is, as far as a 3D house which will also be inlaid into the board via pegs, what would be the most cost effective casting? Resin, plastic? Bulk 3D printing?

This seems like a question you should be asking manufacturers who actually produce such pieces, rather than a bunch of random game enthusiasts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good point, manufacturers and custom places like boardgamecrafter would have lots of good info on what's easy/cheap.

Honestly, it sounds like this will be along the lines of a board game/mineatures hybrid, so talking to modelers wouldn't be a bad idea. Feedback I've been given, often is to see how many of these fancy custom pieces I can do without either by adapting design, or just having piles of cards off to the side. It's a tough layout/aesthetic balance I know, but if you can reduce to just a few essential pieces, your costs and therefore KS tiers will be more reasonable.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.