Subject: 1st Edition Game vs. 3rd Edition Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Rush
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My father, brother, and I are trying to get a PBeM game going soon. They have 3rd edition games, but I have the 1st edition. I do have 3rd edition rules, though. Will much of anything else be affected, such as counters/mapboard differences? In other words, do I need a 3rd edition? Thanks for the help, team!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Padraic Kirby
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3rd Edition has the 2nd Edition map. This has some islands better defined. Other than that, you should be good if you both use the 3rd edition rules and setup.

Pat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, if you're playing by email, you could also go with a pure digital solution like Vassal and ensure that everybody's got the same map / counters / etc that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rush
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agrippa wrote:
3rd Edition has the 2nd Edition map. This has some islands better defined. Other than that, you should be good if you both use the 3rd edition rules and setup.

Pat

Great, thank you. That is very encouraging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rush
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
Of course, if you're playing by email, you could also go with a pure digital solution like Vassal and ensure that everybody's got the same map / counters / etc that way.

That is a fine idea, but it's not going to work for my father. The two of us are possibly the only males in the country without cellular phones. It's enough of a victory doing PBeM games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Rush
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An allergy to smart phones is a genetic trait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fangotango
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncas007 wrote:
lomn wrote:

That is a fine idea, but it's not going to work for my father. The two of us are possibly the only males in the country without cellular phones. It's enough of a victory doing PBeM games.

If you are not familiar with Vassal, you should know that it is designed for pbem games. The map and counters are all on your computer. There is no AI: you essentially just have the game board and counters, with a few added perks, such as Vassal keeping a record of your movement so you can double check to make sure you (or your opponent) have not moved incorrectly, or in order to retract a move and do it differently.

You simply start a log file, make your moves etc, and then send the log file to your opponent at appropriate times (say for DAS or intercepts, or when your turn is complete) who can play it back and see everything you have done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agrippa wrote:

Here's the second edition map. Enlarge it and the changes from 1st edition are listed on the bottom. It's quite a large file so you'll have to scroll around to see it all.

EDIT: The full size image was killing page loading time, so I changed it to a link instead. Click through to read the map notes.

Map link

Preview:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree. If you simply try to use the 1st edition, while your opponent uses the revised version, you risk running into some problems. You had best use the same map, even if you have to do it electronically. There are also some small differences in the cards. The counters are the same and it sounds like you're both using copies of the most current rules.

I believe you can get a gamebox for Zun Tzu as well. I find the interface a bit friendly than Vassal, although there is less functionality as well. It would do fine for simply recording the game positions electronically on your side though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.