Hide
10 Posts

Sails of Glory» Forums » General

Subject: now that the game is out, is it suitable for solo play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Neely
msg tools
Looking to purchase, but is it really meant for 2 or more? It looks just awesome, but I don't want a game that you can KINDA play solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It includes solo scenarios, both for Attlee with "anchored" ships and/or battles with shore batteries.

I think having to maneuver your ships around a cove with batteries on shore and a hostile ship in the water will be an interesting challenge, and good training for the sailing that takes place in the game. Add in the potential for wind speed and direction shifting and you won't be bored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is best and ideal for 2. Solo can be lots of fun in addition to the basic game, but I'm not sure it's worth getting just for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tinitoon wrote:
I bought it knowing that I will have to play it solo most of the time.

I play Wings of Glory and the X-wing miniatures game solo.

The only problem with SoG is the wind. An AI system cannot react to it appropriately (my AI systems for the games mentioned above usually consider the distance and the direction to an enemy).

I therefore started to fight an AI convoy (ships in a column) which will follow a diagonal route across the game mat, from the upper left to the lower right corner, with the wind coming from the north (45 ° to the AI's course). The AI convoy will only do 45 ° turns, so the wind will always be in the green sector of the ship's bases (I use a W6 die before every turn to make random AI turns). I don't use any maneuver cards for the AI: if the AI goes straight they go for about 3 cm. For the AI ships I only use the ship logs (without the ship mats).

Well, I like it.

Do you have a random movement table you use? If so, are you willing to share?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tinitoon wrote:
The only problem with SoG is the wind. An AI system cannot react to it appropriately (my AI systems for the games mentioned above usually consider the distance and the direction to an enemy).

If you're into designed simple movement AI systems, you might consider creating some homebrew gunboats.

Gunboats were often maneuvered by oars rather than sail, so you could ignore the wind for their movement. Additionally, since they would have a forward firing arc, I imagine it would further simplify AI. And since a single hit from a frigate would most likely demolish a gunboat, tracking damage would be simple, too.

Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldil wrote:
If you're into designed simple movement AI systems, you might consider creating some homebrew gunboats.

Excellent suggestions. Looking for suitable-scaled miniatures (without wind considerations, don't need the custom bases).

Anyone have suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mason
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cardinalflyer19 wrote:
Looking to purchase, but is it really meant for 2 or more? It looks just awesome, but I don't want a game that you can KINDA play solo.

Just finished a solo game last night (Enemy in Sight). I modified the SoG rules for movement to keep enemy ships on the table. I simply ignored those movement cards that would take the ship out of bounds and kept drawing until a move kept the ship in the play area. (I did allow enemy ships a little leeway outside the play area, but not my ships.) I also allowed enemy ships to be taken aback, which I did not see addressed in the rules. The enemy always fired at the closest ship in range.

Things went rather well. The two Ships-of-the-Line sank the frigates almost simultaneously and very early. The rest of the scenario involved my SoL chasing the enemy's while it took pot shots at me. Finally, I was able to corner her and sink her. (Not a position a real opponent would likely put themselves in.)

Which sort of speaks to the main problem I had with the "AI." I never changed the eastern wind, so the enemy SoL mainly sailed up and down the western half of the play area after it sank my frigate. With random wind direction and strength it should be more interesting. I'll give the random wind a shot real soon.

I don't think the solo mechanics that come with the game are terrible - they seemed fine with some tweaking for personal taste.

And... I had a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.