United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Base game Pandemic has gotten "stale". The new roles and events in OtB provided fresh injections of something new. Recently, that's been feeling the same too. It got bad enough that I learned the virulent strain and Mutation challenge on my own. Didn't know why I didn't do so sooner, the rulebook for each of those modules is only 1 page long

That said, any combo that folks would recommend? So far, I found Virulent Strain seems less "fiddly" in where while some of the special Epidemic cards have ongoing effects you'd need to watch out for; for some reason, I found the Mutation challenge's "3 ways to put out purple cubes" and "making sure you put a purple and the current color cube on the board" to be more of a hassle (it's not that much worse, just a close 2nd place)

Poll: Pandemic On The Brink optional Modules (no bioterrorist)
1. Which is more fun for you?
Virulent Strain
Mutation Challenge
both
neither
2. for teaching those new to OtB, which you say is easier to learn?
Virulent Strain
Mutation Challenge
both
neither
3. for teaching those new to Pandemic (base game), which you say is easier to learn?
Virulent Strain
Mutation Challenge
both
neither
      39 answers
Poll created by ackmondual

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not combine Virulent Strain with the Mutation Challenge right away. It is better to pick one or the other and get some level of mastery. When you can beat either one with 5-6 epidemics, then go ahead and combine them. When you do combine them, start off again at the easier 4 epidemic level.

If you are teaching players new to Pandemic, start off with one or two games without the additional challenges. I find that it is okay to include the additional roles and events with new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court Marley
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erniepaul wrote:
If you are teaching players new to Pandemic, start off with one or two games without the additional challenges..

Exactly what I was going to say, especially if your group hasn't played cooperative games. There's enough going on in the base game that it's a good idea to teach that one alone first. Not to mention that they need to know what is always a part of the game, and what you're adding in with the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squiz
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say its easier with none of the expansions, onbviously as there is less to learn.

But I wouldn't have a problem teaching the virulent strain version to someone who had never played pandemic before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
... Forgot to mention, some of the people who are new to Pandemic that I'd like to teach these optional modules were able to pick up Ghost Stories pretty fine. I believe they'll have no problem, as base game that should still be heavier than Pandemic + OtB + OtB module(s). But yeah, with the "really non-gamer type", I'll have to use closer judgment, and see myself defaulting to Pandemic base game, or OtB without the modules (so just the new events and roles)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One point to note is that Pandemic is a relatively short game, so, unless you have the type of group where you'll never play the same game twice in a row, no matter what, then, with experienced gamers, I'd teach, and play, the base game first, and then, if that goes down well (or even if any grumblings are of a 'wish there was something more to it' nature), then say something like "and it has these other modes too..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.