Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Baylis
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PROSPERITY is another addition to the excellent range of boardgames published by YSTARI. This game is designed by Reiner Knizia &
Sebastian Bleasdale and is for 2-4 players aged 13+. The box says a game lasts 60 minutes but it will take you a number of sessions before
you get it down to below 90 minutes as there are a lot of Action Tiles that you need to explore each turn in regard to the effect they will have on your game plan.

PROSPERITY is a game about keeping a balance - some would say typical Knizia - while moving ahead. The balance is between Ecology and
Energy, shown on the Research Track of the Main game board as Green (Ecology) and Blue (Energy). At the start-up 2 Tiles are placed on either side of each of the Research tracks. The placing is decided by the number on the left or right at the bottom of each tile - if the number is on the left then it is Blue and placed on the Energy side. if it is Green and on the right then it is placed alongside the same number space on the Ecology track - the numbers of the Track spaces correspond to the numbers on the tiles.

During the game, tiles marked from 1970 upwards in decades to 2030, are turned over one per player turn (thus the game lasts 36 turns) and after
the Action detailed on the tile (an icon with a white border) has been activated for all players where possible, the tile is placed at the Research track; these decade tiles are numbered in a similar manner to the start-up tiles - this way the main board expands and then contracts as players buy the tiles.

There are distinct rules for each player turn. The first thing is to turn over the top Decade Tile then call out the white bordered icon so that everyone can gain the advantage or accept the disadvantage. The player who turned the tile then has 2 Actions which are chosen from the 4 available - players can do 2 different Actions or the same Action twice. These Actions are a) Collect money from the bank - money is needed to pay fines and to buy tiles. b) Buy a tile - players can buy any tile on display but the twist is the higher up the track they are in correspondence to the players token, the more they cost; of course if they are lower than the player's token then they are less expensive. c) Move the token(s) on the Research Track(s) - you can move 1 rung per Action meaning you can move 1 token twice or both tokens once. d)Remove Pollution (Black counters) from your player board;1 counter per
Action.

The symbols (or icons) are Lightning Bolts for Energy - white flash on blue is good energy, black flash on purple is pollution/negative energy.
The symbols (or icons) are Trees for Ecology - Green for Positive and Red for Negative. The Magnifying Glass (Grey background) is the
symbol for Research, the World on a Gold background equates to Prosperity, as in Victory Points and the € on a Purple base is how you gain finance from the Bank. On the player board there is also an X on what is called Blue but appears more like a Light Grey background. The rules call this an unusable space, but that isn't quite right. What it actually means is that you cannot use the 2 spaces beneath the space with this X that are attached by a pipeline until you have placed a Transport tile over the X space. This sounds confusing and to be honest calling the X tile unusable does confuse players the first time of playing.

When you Buy research tiles you place them on your playing board on a space with the same background colour. The symbols you cover up are
already recorded on the left side of your board where the Energy and Ecology is measured from -7 to +7, so that when you cover a symbol up
you have to remember to adjust the track. Generally you will also be adding symbols as well as covering them - all you need to remember though is that the value of the tracks on the left should always equate equally to the value of the symbols on display on the tile laying section on the right. This way if the wooden blocks (tokens) get knocked you can quickly return them to the correct value. Being in the Positive on both tracks is the way to win as there are monetary fines and Pollution penalties for being below zero. Also if your Pollution track gets filled to the brim then you cannot gain Prosperity (VPs) until you lower it. Some of the Research tiles are special one-offs that immediately activate and are then discarded.

Tiles are bought with cash - there are €notes for 50s, 100s and 500s. If the tile you are buying is on the same level as your token (and obviously) on the same side of the Research board (Energy or Ecology) then it costs €100. If it is against a section below your token (any distance below) it costs €50. If it is above your token then it costs €100 plus €100 for every level (section) above your token it is. Money is important but it is just another part of the balancing puzzle.

PROSPERITY is a superb game where the only complaint per se can be (in my opinion) is that it is only for up to 4 players.I am not keen on the
tie-break decider but as the game is about being Green more than earning €green I can sort of see the reasoning behind it. I am talking about a tie being broken in favour of the tied player who has the most remaining money. For every €300 you have when the game ends you gain 1 VP. This means for example if one player has €900 and another has €400 the first player gets 3 VPs for their €900 then pays the money into the bank. The second player 1VP for their €300, also paying this to the bank. If this leaves both players equal in VPs on the score track the player who had only €400 wins because they still have €100 remaining. As balancing finances along with Ecology and Energy is a tactical part of the game this may seem a mite unfair, but my guess is that the second player has scored their points by balancing the Energy and Ecology at the risk of their own financial economy.

I have been a little critical of Reiner Knizia's games of late, mainly because those I have played have generally been refurbishings of previous of his game designs/publications. Whether PROSPERITY is so good because it has a lot of Sebastian Bleasdale's influence combined with Reiner's designing experience or whether Reiner has just hit the nail right on the head again I don't know, and frankly I don't care. I am just so glad that these two designers got together and came up with PROSPERITY and am equally pleased that it was published by YSTARI for the component quality and the artwork of Neriac & Arnaud Demaegd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review!

I've played it twice so far, each time with 3 players, and I look forward to repeated plays. I particularly like the fact that rules cover about 2.5 pages. The game is easy to teach, and I like the artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this one because I am somewhat of a Knizia fan and Vassel was very enthusiastic about it. After 2 plays, however, I found the game too repetitive and too long for what the game had to offer. I found that players were really pondering the choices of tiles to purchase on a given turn and this really dragged the game out. And given that this game is very solitaire, I found the whole experience quite dull about 60 minutes in. I ended up selling it for cheap after 2 plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Hannemann
United Kingdom
Upper Heyford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review.

I played Prosperity around 5 times now (2 players only), and from play to play I get more intrigued by the game. Each decision is crucial in this game, and there is a similar pressure on the players as in Agricola or Age of Steam. It is possible to "hate-draft" in this game, and this is where the replayability comes in. Yes, the tiles are the same every game, it's the reaction to your opponent's purchase that make every game and every move interesting.

I love games that put pressure on, and Prosperity is no exception, and it can be played in around 45 minutes.
I am impressed with it as well, and it is one of my favorite games I picked up last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The tiebreaker makes perfect sense to me. In many games where you convert money to points at the end, the tiebreaker is ambiguous as to whether you compare money before converting to points, or after. For example, if the rate is $300 per point, and I have $400 and you have $600, and we end up tied, who wins? In many games, it seems to be whoever had $600, which seems quite unfair to me.

In Prosperity, the $600 would have become 2 points (with nothing left over), and the $400 would have become 1 point, with $100 left over. Given that the points are equal, it seems exactly fair to me that the person with $100 remaining should win.

I like the art. I wish the scoring for Euros would have been printed on the board somewhere. I also wish the +/- power icons were more intuitively clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
I wish the scoring for Euros would have been printed on the board somewhere.

The player boards in the copy I have show the end of game scoring procedure. It does show you get one point (globe symbol) for every 300€, or did I misunderstand what you meant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathstroke wrote:
peakhope wrote:

The player boards in the copy I have show the end of game scoring procedure. It does show you get one point (globe symbol) for every 300€, or did I misunderstand what you meant?

When you draw a tile, the board shows what happens for each symbol, except for when you score Euros. For energy and ecology, you look to the left/right of the trackers. For prosperity, it's just one-for-one with globe symbols. For Research, it's one-for-one on the research track. For Euros, it's...dang, was it 50? 100? Yes, I know what it is, but when you are learning the game, it's the one thing that isn't printed on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
peakhope wrote:

When you draw a tile, the board shows what happens for each symbol, except for when you score Euros. For energy and ecology, you look to the left/right of the trackers. For prosperity, it's just one-for-one with globe symbols. For Research, it's one-for-one on the research track. For Euros, it's...dang, was it 50? 100? Yes, I know what it is, but when you are learning the game, it's the one thing that isn't printed on the board.

I did misunderstand and I see your point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.