Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you need that extra upgrade slot, the extra ship stat, or the action to make the card you want work then choosing a flagship card is fairly straightforward.

But which cards get the "most money's worth" from the Flagship cards' abilities.

Here's one that I thought of:

Suicide Attack - My problem with this card (apart from the actual throwing away of a ship) has always been that to make it truly effective you needed both a high captain and/or a way changing or gaining maneuvers.

With the 5 point addition from the Suicide Attack itself and the need for a good captain and some upgrades you end up with a ship that costs enough that you really don't want to sacrifice it as you'd rather try keep it alive.

However, the Independent (Dominion) Flagship card can make this more palatable as it can do both the requirements without increasing the points cost of the Sacrificial lamb.

Combine the Flagship card on the ship you want with a high skill captain and pair it with a generic Attack Ship+Captain combo with only the Suicide Attack upgrade.

As you move forward choose your maneuvers on both ships so that you end up within Range 1 after moved and use the free green or white maneuver to get the Attack Ship out of fire arcs where possible.

On the turn you want to use the Suicide attack, you again choose maneuvers on both ships to end up within Range 1 and activate the Suicide attack.

All your opponent's ships with a lower skill captain than on your flagship or the same but with lower initiative will be in their final position before your flagship moves.

After your flagship moves choose the best white or green maneuver to get within a 1 forward of one of the potential target ships.

At the end of the Activation phase you then get to make the Suicide Attack.

If it looks like you can't attack a suitable target use the maneuver to get out of arc (remem,bering that your final position will include the 1 forward fron the Suicide Attack) take the Auxiliary Power token and try again later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing about a Flagship + Suicide Attack is that IF you use an Independent flagship, you can run a Khan (IND) or Gul Dukat as a captain AND use I Stab At Thee (IND) as an elite...but still stay under the guidelines for United Force and those 10 extra SP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually that's another valid use of the Suicide Attack card where you use it on a big tooled up ship and activate it as a last gasp attack when the ship is almost destroyed.

The use I pointed out is for where people want to use a cheap ship to suicide attack with but don't want to waste points on the ship which is going to be sacrificed.

The best use though might be to combine both though.

What about:

United Force:

4th Divisional Battleship (36)
Independent (Dominion) Flagship (10)
GenKhan Singh (4)
I Stab at Thee (3)
Boheeka (2)
Suicide Attack (0 - UF 5)

Attack Ship 20
Luaran (2)
Suicide Attack (5-2)

Attack Ship 20
Generic Captain (0)
Suicide Attack (0 - UF 5)

Gen Khan means you are always at the same skill level as the highest captain and the build is 98 (not including the points from United Force) so you have a good shot at going last in a tie.

The Flagship is tough enough as is and can use battleships to boost it's attack both for the conversions and Boheeka. Then when on it's last legs it can suicide run for 8 dice followed by 3 from I Stab at Thee.

Plus when you are suiciding one of the others you get the benefits previously mentioned for one ship while the second ship can get a free action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Albrecht
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I absolutely love using Independant Dom Flagship with Suicide Attack. I used a variant of this list: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1092321/jemhadar-three-ship-...
In our last meet up to pull off the victory condition for the First Battle of Chintoka.

I'm also fond of it as a booster for the Gor Portas, since it hits the right stats. It doesn't have a tech slot, but the Elite Talent has plenty of uses. I'll like it even more on the Rav Laerst, since it can actually make use of the free Target Lock. I'm even toying with the idea of using it to make a 5th Patrol Wing weapons platform ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really think khan gets the biggest boost from the flagships. There are 2 flagships to help with getting bs and the ind flagships let him roll faction pure.

I can see him getting more popular in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, the Romulan flagship is probably the most brokenly OP one.

First off, the AOE buff is basically a free target-lock, only you don't need the lock. You just get to re-roll any dice you want. (And you don't even have to re-roll ALL of them - just the couple you want...it's basically a flat-out-better core-set Worf). If you've got a captain on your second ship that gives you battle stations (say, Dukat...yeah, yeah, cross-faction, blahblahblah), THAT ship gets BS + (better than) TL for free every turn.

IMHO, that works out much better than improving a lineup for a suicide attack.

SECONDLY, the free sensor echo is a CRAZY powerful action. Especially if you put Synon on the flagship, so can sensor echo out to '3'.

Ever since they came out, I've been cleaning house with some variant of
IRW Valdore
+ Picard
+ 'Engage'
+ Synon
* Flagship

[Some other Romulan ship]
+ Dukat
+ 'Engage'

...etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'm not a fan of suicide attack builds but I realise some people are so was just highlighting how the Flagship card I used made such a build a lot more playable.

I used the faction pure fleet to do this not because I think one way of playing is better than another but to get the extra points from United Force and since Suicide Attack is Jem'Hadar ships only my options were pretty much set.

Quote:
IMHO, the Romulan flagship is probably the most brokenly OP one.

I agree with you; your build is really powerful. However, as you pointed out it is cross faction so for those stuck with OP's that require faction purity not an option.

I am curious though, have you been able to benefit from the re-roll ability when using Synons 3 sensor echo or is it usually one or the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shrike
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
What do you expect to find behind here, King Kong?
mbmbmbmbmb
The suicide attack build I see the most if the generic Jem Hadar ship and a zero point captain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really liking my Klingon Flagship card: +1 to attack, defence, and hull and a free cloak action to the flagship itself and turns one blank to a hit for all other Klingon ships in range 1-2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran a suicide attack build for OP4.

Ship
Picard
suicide attack

Ship
Kirk
Suicide attack

Ship
Donatra
Suicide attack

(There was another 5 points I forget on what)

I did manage to connect with rather a few suicide attacks.
It is really quite lackluster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Albrecht
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it's worth noting that if you're not doing the First Battle of Chin'toka, or aren't just looking to ram ships into other ships for fun, Suicide Attack sucks. It's 8 unmodifiable dice and the loss of a 25-27 (or more) point ship. It's not a viable competitive strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.