Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGG Admin
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
This is collectively our favorite game right now. We were excited to teach this one to Wade.

I had never lost at this game, although they were all usually nail-biters, until Yvette beat me last week in a close one. I was beginning to think I had it figured out, which caused me concern that the game was too formula driven. How wrong I was!

Well, I figured it was time to start a new winning streak.
The players: Dane, Yvette, Amberly, Skyler, Wade.

Yvette, Amberly, and Skyler each produced a work the first round. By the second round everybody had produced works but me. This was the first time I had waited so long. I had a plan!

I had stocked up on profession cards, the building that I needed, a freedom, and I already had two jesters. Yvette was pulling away from everybody, and I was way behind which made me a little nervous, but I was still confident in my plan. I just needed to win the bid on a forest in round three and I was set.

AAARGH! Ambushed! Wade outbid me! He didn't even need a forest. He already had one. Once again I was reminded that this is a game with player interaction, and not just a logic puzzle. The move hurt us both. It cost him something he really needed, like a jester or builder, and it de-railed me.

Oh well, Yvette kept cruising along in first, with Amberly, Skyler, and Wade doing their best to keep up. I was still in an O.K position, even without the forest, but I had a ton of points to make up. Against Yvette this seemed like an almost impossible feat.

I modified my original strategy. I produced works as fast as I could, then spent whatever it took to win the bid for jesters. I had five at the end of the game!

It worked up to a point. By the last round Skyler, Amberly, and Wade were playing for third, while once again, Yvette and I were duking it out for the win. In fact, at the end of turn seven, we were tied at 51. However, Yvette, playing in front the whole game, had been collecting prestige cards. So after the final scores were tallied, she had a decisive victory, her second in a row.

Immediately Wade, who placed fifth, demanded another game.
We really wanted to introduce him to other games, so, after a bit of negotiating, we talked him into a game of Seafarers of Catan.

A few simple things that I have learned: 1.This game is a lot of fun. 2.Most jesters do not necessarily translate into most prestige points. 3.After thinking that I had this game figured out, I'm now thinking that I may be a little baffled. Or a lot baffled. Or just sort of clueless. 4.This game needs further investigation.

Final scores: Yvette 65, Dane 57, Amberly 46, Skyler 45, Wade 41

Ratings this session: Yvette 10, Dane 9.5, Amberly 8, Skyler 8, Wade 9

Thunder Night Gamers overall rating 9.2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.