Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of critical hit cards instruct you to roll an attack die at a specific time and an effect goes off if you roll a hit. Do critical hits count to trigger this effect?

For example "Minor Explosion" instructs you to immediately roll an attack die and take one damage if you roll a hit. What happens if you roll a critical hit? Do you take a damage or not?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deebs wrote:
A lot of critical hit cards instruct you to roll an attack die at a specific time and an effect goes off if you roll a hit. Do critical hits count to trigger this effect?

For example "Minor Explosion" instructs you to immediately roll an attack die and take one damage if you roll a hit. What happens if you roll a critical hit? Do you take a damage or not?

Thanks in advance.

Critical hits only count if it says on the card that they count. For instance, Minor Explosion only lists the [hit] symbol (3/8 chance), while others might say "[hit] or [critical hit]" (4/8 = 1/2 chance).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Deebs wrote:
"Minor Explosion" instructs you to immediately roll an attack die and take one damage if you roll a hit. What happens if you roll a critical hit?

Is the die face the same as specified in the card? Critical hit is not a normal hit, so I would say no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Johnson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Critical hits still count as regular hits plus a "special" result correct? I was under this impression re-reading the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
josefsj wrote:
Critical hits still count as regular hits plus a "special" result correct? I was under this impression re-reading the rules.

There's a difference between using dice during combat and using dice to resolve various effects. During combat, hits and crits get cancelled by dice as per the rules, and uncancelled results go through and result in lost shields and/or damage cards dealt either face-down or face-up.

For non-combat effects, the dice are simply used as randomizers with some probability of the effect triggering. The symbols are arbitrary. Usually they'll instruct you to roll a red die (although sometimes it will be a green die). If they want a 12.5% chance of something happening, they'll count the crits only. If they want a 25% chance of something happening, they'll count the eyeballs. If they want a 37.5% chance, they'll count the hits. If they want a 50% chance, they'll count the hits + crits. But the symbols on the dice are independent of the effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Deebs wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Critical hits only count if it says on the card that they count. For instance, Minor Explosion only lists the [hit] symbol (3/8 chance), while others might say "[hit] or [critical hit]" (4/8 = 1/2 chance).

Thanks, I suspected as much. It just feels weird that you're off the hook if you roll a crit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Test Candidate (sans Deadly Neurotoxin)
badge
Warming up the deadly neurotoxin...
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think of it as getting off the hook. The dice are used to randomize something. Using [Hit] vs [Critical] vs [Hit] + [Critical] vs [Focus] or even [Blank] allows for different percentages of that happening.

If the dice were simple 8 siders with numbers, the cards would read: roll 3 or lower, roll 4 or lower etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Johnson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Different than Attack Wing then. I think in STAW, crits still count as hits IIRC. I know, it's a different game but very similar rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
josefsj wrote:
Different than Attack Wing then. I think in STAW, crits still count as hits IIRC. I know, it's a different game but very similar rules.

Crits still count as hits... if you're talking about combat or running into obstacles (e.g. asteroids). If you have an uncancelled crit, your ship is "hit" by the definition in the rules. But that isn't what the OP is asking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.