Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: Base set scenarios rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray Nimocks
United States
Fayetteville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Perils of the Lost Coast Adventure intended to be played before you start the Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path?

Will the leveling done in the Base set imbalance your characters for Rise of the Runelords?

Alternatively if you start Rise of the Runelods first then will your character be strong enough to cope with the scenarios?

This confuses me and I can't find a clear answer. What is the intended purpose of the Base Set Adventure in the grand scope of things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Play the lost coast first and then move on to the Adventure packs, starting with Adventure 1 which is included with the base set. I don't think skipping the Lost Coast scenario would have a major impact on you completing the adventure packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JK777 wrote:
Play the lost coast first and then move on to the Adventure packs, starting with Adventure 1 which is included with the base set. I don't think skipping the Lost Coast scenario would have a major impact on you completing the adventure packs.

Your characters will be moderately weaker. No reason to skip it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Nimocks
United States
Fayetteville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:

Your characters will be moderately weaker. No reason to skip it.

OK cool. But I assume that also means they won't be too overpowered either? For starting Rise of the Runelords?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LazarusTaxon wrote:
I assume that also means they won't be too overpowered either? For starting Rise of the Runelords?

Right. The Perils of the Lost Coast is intended to be played before the adventure path.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the only rewards you get from playing the Base Scenarios are random cards which get added to your pile after you are done and reassembling your deck. At this point, there should not be any cards selected that have anything other than a "B" in the upper right hand corner, or a "C" if you bought the additional character add-on pack.

So best case scenario, you may get some better cards that do not have the "Basic" trait on them (in the top left hand side of the card), but are still from the "B" or "C" set. This does improve your deck in preparation for Adventure Pack #1, but Adventure Pack #1 starts rewarding you with talents for your check mark boxes on your character's skill card.

Personally I would not want to start with Adventure Pack 1 with all my cards having the "Basic" trait on them. There are better weapons, spells, items, etc. that you can get by playing the Base Scenarios that you will want to make Adventure Pack 1 easier, but in no way will you be overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard

Frisco
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1havok12 wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the only rewards you get from playing the Base Scenarios are random cards which get added to your pile after you are done and reassembling your deck. At this point, there should not be any cards selected that have anything other than a "B" in the upper right hand corner, or a "C" if you bought the additional character add-on pack.

So best case scenario, you may get some better cards that do not have the "Basic" trait on them (in the top left hand side of the card), but are still from the "B" or "C" set. This does improve your deck in preparation for Adventure Pack #1, but Adventure Pack #1 starts rewarding you with talents for your check mark boxes on your character's skill card.

Personally I would not want to start with Adventure Pack 1 with all my cards having the "Basic" trait on them. There are better weapons, spells, items, etc. that you can get by playing the Base Scenarios that you will want to make Adventure Pack 1 easier, but in no way will you be overpowered.

The scenarios themselves do offer up the items as rewards but they're random items so you're at the mercy of the luck of the draw. What I think the real value of going through the first Adventure is that you will pick up items during your adventure that will make your character deck stronger.

ALSO, once you finish all three scenarios in the intro adventure path, you get to add a skill check. This is a HUGE reason to start here first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pumpkinhead76 wrote:
The scenarios themselves do offer up the items as rewards but they're random items so you're at the mercy of the luck of the draw. What I think the real value of going through the first Adventure is that you will pick up items during your adventure that will make your character deck stronger.

That's was what I was trying to get at but you said it much better.
Pumpkinhead76 wrote:

ALSO, once you finish all three scenarios in the intro adventure path, you get to add a skill check. This is a HUGE reason to start here first.

Ahh...forgot about that. This is a must!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Nimocks
United States
Fayetteville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! Perils of the Lost Coast it is! The rulebook is a little weak IMO and it doesn't spell this out well enough. Apart from the items it also seems like a good way to learn the mechanics before diving in in full.

I assume that when I add a Adventure Pack I just shuffle the new cards into their respective decks before setting up a scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LazarusTaxon wrote:
Excellent! Perils of the Lost Coast it is! The rulebook is a little weak IMO and it doesn't spell this out well enough. Apart from the items it also seems like a good way to learn the mechanics before diving in in full.

I assume that when I add a Adventure Pack I just shuffle the new cards into their respective decks before setting up a scenario?

Yes, just shuffle in the adventure one cards after you finish Perils of the Lost Coast. Also, in case you are not aware of this, you should get your hands on the revised rulebook and rather lengthy FAQ/Errata. You can find it here: http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1gk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our experience, Briggidoom was quite hard at first. Be aggressive with your blessings and explore more than once a turn when you can. I would suggest taking a good supporting class if you play solo. Take your main damage character and a support character such as Lem or Kyra for heals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You wont be overpowered. But not extra challenged either as in average Burnt Offering is easier than Perils of the lost coast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Shaw
msg tools
I would agree that Brigandoom was for us the hardest of the three scenarios - in terms of rewards it's basically random cards (which may or may not make a huge difference depending on luck) and the one skill feat.

You could skip it but why would you... it's definitely not going to make you overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an updated rulebook you can download from paizo.com. It may be able to help clarify things better for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Nimocks
United States
Fayetteville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
There is an updated rulebook you can download from paizo.com. It may be able to help clarify things better for you.

Yeah The new version doesn't seem to offer anything new in this respect. It doesn't seem intuitive in the rulebook that it should come first as it says if playing an Adventure Path start with "Rise of the Runelords" which seems to exclude Perils of the Lost Coast.

I am overcomplicating this and taking things too literally I know. Of course you play the base adventure first! Doh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calthaer the Bard
Turks and Caicos Islands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LazarusTaxon wrote:
Yeah The new version doesn't seem to offer anything new in this respect. It doesn't seem intuitive in the rulebook that it should come first as it says if playing an Adventure Path start with "Rise of the Runelords" which seems to exclude Perils of the Lost Coast.

The New PACG Rulebook, page 4 wrote:
We recommend you begin with the base set scenario Brigandoom!; you can play it either by itself or as the first of three scenarios in the Perils of the Lost Coast adventure. We suggest you complete that adventure, then move on to the Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Nimocks
United States
Fayetteville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your spelling it out for me Calthaer. My expeditious lunch break reading has made me look a bit the fool. Glad to see that has been fully explained.

/thread

The New PACG Rulebook, page 4 wrote:
We recommend you begin with the base set scenario Brigandoom!; you can play it either by itself or as the first of three scenarios in the Perils of the Lost Coast adventure. We suggest you complete that adventure, then move on to the Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.