Cyclades: Hades» Forums » Rules

Subject: Priestess/creature timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Can you gain a priestess at the beginning of your God action and than discard it to keep a creature on the board? Or do you have to recruit her earlier for this purpose? I guess, it's the latter because the effect of the creature lasts till the "beginning of your next turn". But still the "when you perform the actions" and the rule about chosing timing yourself during your turn (except free stuff) make it a bit vague. Even more so in the german translation.

rules wrote:

The power of the creature is applied to the isle where it is until
the beginning of your next turn. The creature's card is discarded only when you perform the actions of your God during the next Cycle.

In german it's just "Wenn Sie wieder an der Reihe sind" (when it's your turn again) instead of "at the beginning of your turn".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rogers
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont have the rules in front of me, but I think the "spending" of the priestess card to keep a creature on the board has to happen at the start of the turn when everyone gets paid from their island cornucopias. So I think the answer to your question is "no"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
The rule you have in mind is for paying your heroes. There is no such timing rule regarding priestess/creatures in Hades as far as I can see. So you have to stick with my rules quote from the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is the same as Joe's: as far as I know there's no rule about the timing of discarding a priestess when paying for creatures but there's also no reason not to stick with the existing rule about maintaining heroes, that is, you have to pay for it before offering for the gods.

I think it's the sense of that similar rule that applies in this circumstance, not the rigid application of the apparent sequence (since receiving the priestess and paying for the creature seem to happen at the same time): the latter feels a little too rule-lawyerish to me and not in the spirit of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Bombadillo wrote:
there's also no reason not to stick with the existing rule about maintaining heroes, that is, you have to pay for it before offering for the gods.

The reason would be, that in the base game you have an idea about how long a creature will stay on the board only after the bidding on gods is finished. (even then another figurine creature could appear and change this reasoning, for instance via Zeus).

You could of course time paying for creatures and discarding creatures separately (if that is what you suggest), but it wouldn't be very elegant imho and changes the game strategically. Otherwise (handling creatures completely in the income phase) it would contradict/change the base game rule about discarding creatures.

(Some Edits for spelling etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Califax wrote:
You could of course time paying for creatures and discarding creatures separately (if that is what you suggest), but it wouldn't be very elegant imho and changes the game strategically. Otherwise (handling creatures completely in the income phase) it would contradict/change the base game rule about discarding creatures.

You pay for keeping the creatures in the income phase or else you discard the creatures at the begin of your turn, as usual: lacking an official statement about using priestesses for maintaining creatures, this is the best solution we've come up with. And it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Bombadillo wrote:

I think it's the sense of that similar rule that applies in this circumstance, not the rigid application of the apparent sequence (since receiving the priestess and paying for the creature seem to happen at the same time): the latter feels a little too rule-lawyerish to me and not in the spirit of the game.

Bombadillo wrote:

You pay for keeping the creatures in the income phase or else you discard the creatures at the begin of your turn, as usual: lacking an official statement about using priestesses for maintaining creatures, this is the best solution we've come up with. And it works.

Basically I agree with you that you shouldn't be allowed to maintain a creature based on a priestess gained this same round. I base this on the "at the beginning of your turn" in the creature rules and just asked for some confirmation, because only reading the german rules it's even harder to detect the designer's intention. You both confirmed that you agree with this - so (an official statement aside) Mission (somehow) accomplished ;-)
As indicated in my op I would however handle both (paying for creatures and discarding them) at the beginning of your turn - strictly before getting stuff like priestess. Sure your version works too and the impact on the game is minor in any case. Still there are differences between your handling and ours:

- in your case you have to remember until the player's turn how many priestesses he has payed in the income phase. This is definitely manageable, but not so elegant imho as I said. The other point is a bit more interesting:
- in your ruling there could be the case that you pay for a creature that isn't on the board anymore when your turn comes, because someone else before you has destroyed it with another figurine. That's even hard to detect from the round's setup. Zeus could dig for it or someone could use a hidden magic item (digging for figurine). You may say "That's your risk." - as it is with heroes you pay for, but for me it's not clear whether this is the designer's intention. That's why an official statement still would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHARALAMPOS PAPADAKIS
Greece
HERAKLION CRETE
Non-US/Canada
flag msg tools
mb
After God bidding we pay 2 gold pieces to keep in play for the round our Hero. In our turn we could discard a priestess to keep a creature that we bought in the previous round in play for this round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.