Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't seen any optional rules for drifting so I was wondering what might be a good way to incorporate it.

I was thinking along these lines:

For light wind, no drifting.

Otherwise, at the end of the turn, draw an "E" chit to see whether drifting occurs or not.

For medium wind, move stopped ships in the direction of the wind the width of the ruler.

For strong wind, move ships in the direction of the wind by the red/purple length of the ruler. (Or would that be too far? I haven't grokked the exact scale here yet).

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark
I wonder what caused drifting? Lack of sails?

In my limited experience with the game so far, by the time I'm out of sails, I'm usually out of ship!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
Mark
I wonder what caused drifting? Lack of sails?

In my limited experience with the game so far, by the time I'm out of sails, I'm usually out of ship!

Just wind and current I think. It's mainly to inject some randomness to ships that are stopped either because they have backed sails or are grappled or fouled. Most Age of Sail games have some possibility of ships that are not moving being subject to some drifting.

We are Close Action players so of course I'm comparing what things are covered and simulated in each game. Seems SoG has most of the bases covered. I was just surprised to see nothing about drifting. On the other hand, I suspect the time and distance scale of the game may make accounting for drift unnecessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tinitoon wrote:
I like the idea but the game can already be quite overwhelming when playing with more than two ships on each side with advanced rules...

An optional rule, of course, but we're pretty hard core naval wargamers.

I've heard that SoG is best as a "skirmish" game but I think with a good GM and lots of players (one ship each), you could easily play a fleet action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
I didn't seen any optional rules for drifting so I was wondering what might be a good way to incorporate it.

I was thinking along these lines:

For light wind, no drifting.

Otherwise, at the end of the turn, draw an "E" chit to see whether drifting occurs or not.

For medium wind, move stopped ships in the direction of the wind the width of the ruler.

For strong wind, move ships in the direction of the wind by the red/purple length of the ruler. (Or would that be too far? I haven't grokked the exact scale here yet).

Thoughts?

Good idea Mark, but for me I would simplify it even more by doing something like:

At the end of the turn, roll one six-sided die (D6) for each stationary ship in play. Dice sold separately
For light (low) wind, no drifting.
For medium wind, stationary ships drift on a 6
For high wind, stationary ships drift on a 5 or 6.

Ships that drift move in the direction of the wind the width of the Combat Ruler.

Malacandra wrote:
An optional rule, of course, but we're pretty hard core naval wargamers.

Absolutely, but a good idea for those hard core naval gamers.

Malacandra wrote:
I've heard that SoG is best as a "skirmish" game but I think with a good GM and lots of players (one ship each), you could easily play a fleet action.

I only just started playing SoG, and its a nice game, but I get the strong impression that its best for small naval actions, but it can be used for large naval actions if you have enough experienced players.

One day I would like to play a large naval action using SoG. At two ships per player, it will take about 37 players to do the battle Trafalgar, or only about 25 players to do the Glorious First of June. But only about 14 players to do the Battle of the Nile.

However, some of the ships needed (like a 64 and 80 gunner) for such a game are not available in the SoG line... yet?
whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Several huge battles have been played already, as you can read in the The largest Sails of Glory game ever geeklist. Among the historical ones:

Battle of the Nile, 32 ships, 9 players.

Glorious First of June, 71 ships, 19 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.