Hide
9 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Third time playing, first time posting. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Seery
msg tools
Hi all, this is just a quick run down to the last time I played which was back in August 2013. The reason for posting is because we just scheduled our next session and it's got me thinking about our last session and just how fun it was, and for some insight to other players to NOT do what I did.

The game started at 6PM on a Saturday night, and the first thing we did was randomly selected our races. I drew The Embers of Muatt as my neighbor to my left drew The Barony of Letnev and to my right drew The Arborec. It was a 6 player game, but for this story I'm only going to focus on our dear friend, The Barony of Letnev and myself.

With the Warsun in my fleet and the unknown of the galaxy (Thanks to the fog of war, which I highly recommend everyone play if they want a more interesting game), I made my first move which was the biggest mistake of the game. I moved my Warsun with it's fighters to the first tile ahead of my home planet. At which, The Barony of Letnev made an INCREDIBLY bold move, taking the Warfare 2 strategy card moved their dreadnaught and ships into my home system. shake

With my home planet completely undefended, he made short work of what was left behind. What saved me from a complete invasion, was leaving behind my diplomat. Immediately after, I sent my Warsun with it's fighters into my home system to defend and hopefully not become wiped out in the first round. The odds were in Letnev's favor, especially with the +1's to his rolls, but the dice were not with him and he rolled poorly on all attempts. I barely took back what I nearly lost, and Letnev knew there would be retribution.

My next move was to do exactly what Letnev did to me, and immediately wipe him out from existence. In another bold move, during the political stage, Letnev immediately used one of his abilities where he removed himself from any further voting abilities for the rest of the game to instantly gain one dreadnaught. It was there, that began our first Cold War experience for the rest of the game as we ended the night with myself and Letnev angry and out for vengeance.

The following day after we continued, and before we got too far into it, Letnev asked to speak privately. We discussed how our race to arms will be our undoing, as it was clear his neighbor was doing considerably well and had to be stopped. It was there, we had peace, but it was a very uneasy peace. At 6 PM Sunday, we were into round 7, and though we agreed there would no longer be a race to arms, our position on the board shows a different perspective.

Hours later, before midnight, we knew the game would be very close to ending. Letnev's neighbor, the Mentak were in a commanding lead and only needed one victory point to win as he had a promissory note giving him a victory point, I shared this information with Letnev in hopes we could stop him. In the last turn, Letnev positioned and attacked him in hopes of slowing him down. The last turn would all come down to specific events that would need to happen in order to gain a foot hold into the game. I had the options of back stabbing Letnev as he turned to attack his neighbor, which I very badly wanted to destroy his fleet turning it into a supernova, but as you can see from the revealed board, I couldn't place the supernova next to another supernova. Those 2 supernovas really hurt my ability to do my once per game move, as I really thought it would be fitting if I could destroy his home system with that. But unfortunately, that was not an option. My next option would simply be to hop over the supernova in front of me and take Mecatol Rex for myself, as it was hardly defended by my neighbor who sat across from me.

But alas..

The game ended the next round, as Mentak had not one but TWO promissory notes that another player had forgotten about giving to them early on in the game. The game ended, lessons were learned. It was a very tense game, and I loved every minute of it. I hope to have another fun story for you guys the next time we play in March! Thanks for reading, if you have questions please let me know and I'll try my best to answer them for ya. I'm still pretty new to this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant write up!, you prefer this to Eclipse?.
How long did the game take to play in total?
Are you always the same group playing this game?
What expansions do you use?
Sorry for all the questions, I have this monster with both expansions and hope to get it to the table at some point in the not too distant future and your write up has made the latter even more urgent .
Where are you guys from?,
Thanks
Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Seery
msg tools
biffta wrote:
Brilliant write up!, you prefer this to Eclipse?.
How long did the game take to play in total?
Are you always the same group playing this game?
What expansions do you use?
Sorry for all the questions, I have this monster with both expansions and hope to get it to the table at some point in the not too distant future and your write up has made the latter even more urgent .
Where are you guys from?,
Thanks
Mark

Thanks! I think I'll do more write ups as we play. I like Eclipse because it's a quicker version of Twilight Imperium,and I do like the customization to the ships themselves, but the thing I love about TI is the politics. The first time I played we had this intense war going on with the wormhole sector of these planets, when a political card was to be voted that if passed we rolled a dice and if 1-4 every unit in a wormhole sector would be destroyed. (And a free tech to those who voted for it, if you voted for it) So you can imagine the threats of aggression and war went on by the two races that had enormous fleets in them and how angry they were when we voted for it, resulting in a high roll giving us all who voted a free tech.

Let's see...I believe the game lasted for nearly 18 hours. 5 hours Saturday night after we chose random races, and we started at 11 Sunday morning and played for another 13 hours (Almost til midnight). This is actually quicker because we used to have unlimited time to negotiate and chat with people privately but we cut it down to 10 minutes per round.

We usually ask our usual friends if they want to play, if they can't we ask some others that we know who are familiar with it. And if we still can't find our usual 6, we just set it up to 5 then.

We are currently playing with all the expansions but we don't play with the space mines.

We are all in the states on the west coast, we also use different strategy cards from the expansions to what we think works better with the group. We don't play with the first Imperial strategy card (I think that's it, the one that just gives you a VP for picking it?). And yeah, no worries I enjoy answering questions! It's a pretty intimidating game to start learning, but after a few play throughs it starts to make sense
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for such a detailed reply Pat, I find the fact you played for around 18 hours completely fascinating!, I would live to find a group that could commit to that - maybe as the kids get older?
I asked about regular players, as I did think that half the battle with a game like this is simply knowing how it plays and all pans out.
Look forward very much to your next posts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Seery
msg tools
biffta wrote:
Thanks for such a detailed reply Pat, I find the fact you played for around 18 hours completely fascinating!, I would live to find a group that could commit to that - maybe as the kids get older?
I asked about regular players, as I did think that half the battle with a game like this is simply knowing how it plays and all pans out.
Look forward very much to your next posts

Time flies when you're busy plotting, worrying, and back stabbing your opponents! I'm always surprised when I hear people play for a maximum 7-8 hours. Usually, around 2pm on Sunday is when everyone starts to feel the heft of the game begin to wear on them. Everyone begins to hunker down and come to some key moves they need to do if they want to set out and accomplish their objectives and it gets interesting. We also stock pile the fridge with beer and we'll order food for that night.

Definitely as kids get older, I'm sure they'd be willing to put more time into the game. I know some games just didn't do it for me when I was young, and this might've been one of them. Maybe you should send a shout out on the forums for any players in your area and set up a date on the weekend where you can all meet and if the chemistry is good set up an official Twilight Imperium day. I'm sure there might be a board game cafe you might be able to hit up too, and maybe make a posting on their board about a TI day. I'd like to hear your experience with the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting! It was interesting reading about your experience. Good job leaving your Diplomat on your home planet; that can indeed be a life-saving move, as you found out!

I would say the biggest lesson from what you've told us, however, is that TI players should NEVER give the Support for the Throne card to another player unless doing so will guarantee a victory point for yourself as well (such as when the Emperor is being elected).

Oh, and I almost forgot! The Embers' Nova Seed Racial Tech does not allow you to Supernova Mecatol Rex or any player's home system, so I'm afraid you could have never wiped out the Letnev home worldssoblue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Seery
msg tools
Solan wrote:
Thanks for posting! It was interesting reading about your experience. Good job leaving your Diplomat on your home planet; that can indeed be a life-saving move, as you found out!

I would say the biggest lesson from what you've told us, however, is that TI players should NEVER give the Support for the Throne card to another player unless doing so will guarantee a victory point for yourself as well (such as when the Emperor is being elected).

Oh, and I almost forgot! The Embers' Nova Seed Racial Tech does not allow you to Supernova Mecatol Rex or any player's home system, so I'm afraid you could have never wiped out the Letnev home worldssoblue.

Thanks much! Yes, if not for my diplomat I would've gone home early that night!

Ah I definitely forgot about that bit of not allowing to destroy another home system. Maybe I wanted to destroy whichever his warsuns were in and call it a day. Maybe I'll get another chance in a few weeks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could muster 3 players fairly easily I think with wife and father in law, 4 max if get eldest lad involved. It's go to happen. Will keep you posted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Cheers!
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thx a lot. Can't wait to play my first Session, a 4 Player Session that will be... still 2 Weeks to go and that can be such a long time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.