Subject: This or BattleLore 2? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Witte
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have Warhammer: Diskwars and BattleLore Second Edition? I was excited about BL2, but then this game appeared to be equally interesting. I sold Memoir '44 a few months ago and have been looking for a combat (real or fantasy) game to replace it. I didn't like M44's unbalanced scenarios, which I know are essential to historical military games, hence the interest in BL2.

But Warhammer: Diskwars has a lot of variety, a lower price, and it seems easy for FFG to expand. I've never played Warhammer and will not get into the miniatures version, so I'm not looking for a gateway game.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry not played battlelore! but I can say this is an excellant game regardless of comparison with anything else.

Tactical, fast playing, customisable, decent price point, likely to be well supported. Where's to go wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I haven't played this, but I was let down some by battlelore. It's really heavy luck driven, and the set up time is brutal, really brutal.

I hope someone around me gets this so I can try it out, as I hear it's not as luck driven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy both! That's probably get you the free shipping threshold and save you $10 on the combined purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Shephard
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both. I think of Battlelore as more of a boardgames, and diskwars as more of a miniatures war game. So, they scratch a different itch for me. Bl is my favorite board game at the moment, I really really like it. That said, I am pretty obsessed with diskwars right now.

I think it comes down to what you want out of the game. If it's gonna be something you keep at home and play casually, I'd go Battlelore. If you want to take it out, do lots of customizing, etc. Go diskwars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dunks
United States
Providence Forge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had both, and I sold BattleLore because it is indeed too luck-driven for my tastes, as well as a long set-up time. I like Diskwars OK, but I'm not sure that in the long run it is going to be nuanced enough for my taste. Time will tell, and at the price it is definitely worth a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Own both and am keeping both, but I am not sure if I would have bought Battlelore if I had purchased Warhammer first. I will be playing WH more and like it more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i have done a lot of study into both games and i am picking up both (arriving Wednesday from cool stuff) i agree with the poster who said they are really both different games. looking forward to playing them both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have original battlelore and after looking at battlelore 2 I am not convinced to change... maybe if I played it I would know better but speaking of which, battlelore is and exceptional game, people say it's luck based but when you play enough of it you will notice how the cards interact and learn the specific tactics they bring, when to use them and how to bluff... its one (if not) of the best games I own (excluding Infinity tabletop wargame)and one that I will never get rid of. I would jump on battlelore 2 waggon but I cant afford it, the only downside is a lenghty setup, especialy when you play epic (2 boards joined together)

Diskwars feels EPIC without the lenghty setup, and is really a fun game, they are like an apple and oranges so you can't compare them, but... but... damn... if I had to choose I would choose Diskwars.

If you are into hobby though, get some paints and paint Battlelore man!!! the miniatures they've produced are just stunning !!!

So in the long run its convenience over apeal, choice is yours, both are great games, one is more boardgame'ish other is semi miniature game.
Anyway, try battlelore you will love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have BL 2 and am serious in the market for Disk wars... I do feel that BL2 is phenominal... I do not understand all the posts about a luck based game... feel that is not the case at all. As for the set up taking long... no way! Takes a few minutes to pick a scencario and set the board up... wife and I play all the time and with set up we can get games done in less than an hour...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you really have to choose one over the other? I am not too familiar wih BattleLore2 but I played and had Memoir '44 a few years ago and researched Battle Lore when it first came out but decided it was not for me at the time.

There are a few reasons that I can see having to decide between picking up one or the other. A financial reason would be understandable, only finite funds are available or one is willing to spend in boardgames at this point. Or, maybe the available time to play games would only justify the addition of one and not two games to the collection.

Otherwise, it does not seem to me that these games are similar enough to say that having one would make having the other redundant. As others have said, Battle Lore is a traditional boardgame with a unique spin on a tried and true system. It seems to be a great game which I might pick up at some point. Diskwars is a unique game with elements of LCGs and miniature games but providing its own rewarding experience. Each game is unique with many viable builds at this point. Two games never play the same way and two players don't play the same army the same way.

I would not consider Battle Lore vs Diskwars anymore comparable than Battle Lore vs Caverna or Diskwars vs Tash-Kalar. They are great games that fill their own niches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon dee
Denmark
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Ronaldo wrote:

I would not consider Battle Lore vs Diskwars anymore comparable than Battle Lore vs Caverna or Diskwars vs Tash-Kalar. They are great games that fill their own niches.

Here I strongly disagree. They are ALOT more comparable. And I am surprised that we do even have to discuss it!

They are both great games and I agree that the fill their own niches for some people, but do we forget how many people that doesn't own big collection of boardgames, where genres are a lot broader, not even to say niches. And OP even mention the gateway experience.

Diskwars vs Tash-Kalar??? a spin of the tabletop wargame genre vs a abstract pattern recognizing game disguised as a wargame. There is really no comparison between these to. And there is none worth to mention between Battle Lors and Cavarna.

Battle Lore and Diskwars: we are talking army building, terrain, units, dice roles, movement, races, fantasy armies, conflict with frontlines,reinforcements, reserves, flanks, killing, light versions of more heavy wargames systems, gateway games to the whole wargame experience, campaign possibilities etc...

Sorry but the comparison between Battlelore and Warhammer Diskwars is a very fair one, (doesn't mean that you couldn't argue to get both).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Silva
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both. You will not be disappointed with either. Both will have expansions to keep them interesting. I love them both. However, depending on your level of competitiveness, FFG is supporting WDW with tournament swag. Also, it's highly likely we'll see it go all the way to the world championship. That's a lot of opponents surprise I'm an old 40k/Fantasy player that doesn't have the time/patience/cash/etc. for the hobby anymore. WDW scratches that itch nicely. There is no right answer, but there isn't a wrong one either
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jondeefool wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:

Here I strongly disagree. They are ALOT more comparable. And I am surprised that we do even have to discuss it!

They are both great games and I agree that the fill their own niches for some people, but do we forget how many people that doesn't own big collection of boardgames, where genres are a lot broader, not even to say niches. And OP even mention the gateway experience.

Diskwars vs Tash-Kalar??? a spin of the tabletop wargame genre vs a abstract pattern recognizing game disguised as a wargame. There is really no comparison between these to. And there is none worth to mention between Battle Lors and Cavarna.

Battle Lore and Diskwars: we are talking army building, terrain, units, dice roles, movement, races, fantasy armies, conflict with frontlines,reinforcements, reserves, flanks, killing, light versions of more heavy wargames systems, gateway games to the whole wargame experience, campaign possibilities etc...

Sorry but the comparison between Battlelore and Warhammer Diskwars is a very fair one, (doesn't mean that you couldn't argue to get both).

I think the similarity is overstated by the fact that both were released within a very short period from each other. I find it disheartening when you pick just the last paragraph or sentence and picks it apart. I would rather you discussed the idea of my post as a whole. I think it would have been more constructive. Why are you surprised?

I will give it to you right here: that sentence that you quoted IS hyperbolic. It serves a purpose. Illustrate the point that while one can regurgitate a number of similarities between Diskwars and Battle Lore, there are profound differences in the core of each game, that list provides skin deep information that can often be misleading.

While the roots of Battle Lore, and I say that by my experience with Memoir '44 and the extensive research in anticipation and follow up when the first edition of Battle Lore came out and throughout most of its lifespan, those roots come primarily from board gaming, wargaming and elements of miniature games can also be identified. Diskwars has much stronger roots in the customizable gaming experience. It is much closer to an LCG with elements of miniature gaming. The basic melee resolution can be directly traced back to Magic: The Gathering. I say these based on my experience throughout the lifespan of the original game and having avidly played the current version. The game has evolved and it now has an amazing core set that can provide a satisfying experience with either the preconstructed regiments but with enough variety to let the players put their armies together.

I think the best way that I have to illustrate how I see these two games as diverse experiences is this. I can go to a boardgame night at my FLGS and play Battle Lore and it will fit right in. We play it have a good time, if we have time, we can join people to play other games such as Tash-Kalar or Caverna. You could do the same with Diskwars but it may not fit as naturally. Now, Diskwars will definitely hold its own in an LCG night while Battle Lore would be thoroughly out of place.

I think it is unlikely that FFG would have released 2 direct competitors essentially at the same time. I suspect they see both games as diverse as well.

I see Battle Lore and Diskwars as diverse gaming experiences which each have their places. As I said in my post, there might be a constraint financially, time wise and I would add storage to make you choose to buy one and not the other. And, it is in that context that I compare Diskwars, Battle Lore, Tash-Kalar and Caverna. If there is a constraint in any of these or maybe other factors, you would are choosing between Diskwars, Battle Lore and also Caverna, Tash-kalar, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon dee
Denmark
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Ronaldo wrote:

I would rather you discussed the idea of my post as a whole. I think it would have been more constructive.

I did , with the sentence you didn't commented on.

I repeat it
"They are both great games and I agree that the fill their own niches for some people, but do we forget how many people that doesn't own big collection of boardgames, where genres are a lot broader, not even to say niches?"

I give to you that from the view of a specialized boardgamers wich some of us are, but not all, they are very different games. But taking that information to the point where they can't be compared is not very helpful for a lot of people. And I think it would be a lot more fair and informative to acknowledge that.

All the reasons you have for them being different, is also valid reason not to get one or the other, or get both. And there is a lot more to that than storage, money and time, which basically is limits on having games you like, but doesn't do alot to discern what you like or not.

If you like both you can have both because they are different. I agree.
But they are NOT that different that they can't be compared, and I reacted strongly to that, because i found you're example misleading, if you are in a situation where it is natural to compare them.

I listed a bunch of reason that people would pool them up beside each other. Reasons I have used to navigate, my self, in my search for a game that scratch my wargame itch. I have been over memoir44 and battlelore to find a game that satisfy my conflict game itch- they didn't do it for me. Atm diskwars does- I am a gamer that is looking for having a conflict wargame or 2 in my collection, not a lot. Battlelore and Diskwars is bound to be compared and it's is meanings full to compare them in that situation imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they are completely comparable. And are in competition with each other some. I know I was only getting one, I feel I picked the wrong way. I hope to try warhammer discwars in the very near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jondeefool wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:

I would rather you discussed the idea of my post as a whole. I think it would have been more constructive.

I did , with the sentence you didn't commented on.

I repeat it
"They are both great games and I agree that the fill their own niches for some people, but do we forget how many people that doesn't own big collection of boardgames, where genres are a lot broader, not even to say niches?"

I give to you that from the view of a specialized boardgamers wich some of us are, but not all, they are very different games. But taking that information to the point where they can't be compared is not very helpful for a lot of people. And I think it would be a lot more fair and informative to acknowledge that.

All the reasons you have for them being different, is also valid reason not to get one or the other, or get both. And there is a lot more to that than storage, money and time, which basically is limits on having games you like, but doesn't do alot to discern what you like or not.

If you like both you can have both because they are different. I agree.
But they are NOT that different that they can't be compared, and I reacted strongly to that, because i found you're example misleading, if you are in a situation where it is natural to compare them.

I listed a bunch of reason that people would pool them up beside each other. Reasons I have used to navigate, my self, in my search for a game that scratch my wargame itch. I have been over memoir44 and battlelore to find a game that satisfy my conflict game itch- they didn't do it for me. Atm diskwars does- I am a gamer that is looking for having a conflict wargame or 2 in my collection, not a lot. Battlelore and Diskwars is bound to be compared and it's is meanings full to compare them in that situation imho.

I think we have both been hyperbolic in the comments and I think it has not been helping. As intelligent people we should be able to find middle ground.

Let me try to build some middle ground here. If a person thinks that they only have interest in considering picking up one new game of fantasy warfare than they should compare and contrast the features of Diskwars and Battle Lore and decide which one would work best for them.

On the other hand, each game is unique. They come from different backgrounds and have strong diverging core features making a direct comparison of the quality of the games very difficult.

Compare if you must only get one.

They are different enough that one doesn't have to be better than the other.

Fair?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Witte
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. You'll make FFG happy as I'm going to get both games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wittela wrote:
Thanks everyone. You'll make FFG happy as I'm going to get both games.

and of course whichever you feel is better for you and your group will get more of your expansion money!

i also ordered both. they arrive Wednesday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hubbard
United States
Mullica Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have two copies of both and don't regret either purchase. As others have noted, beyond the fact that they're both fantasy themed wargames from FFG they're different enough to have their own appeal depending on your tastes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.