Power Grid: Australia & Indian Subcontinent» Forums » Rules

Subject: What happens when the uranium market fills up? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will James
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I read through the rules several times, and am not entirely sure how this would be handled. If it's my turn to sell uranium, and the market already has 12 markers on it, can I sell any? Or am I shut out for that turn? I think that I would be shut out, but I'm kind of annoyed the rules don't seem to explicitly say one way or the other.

In a related situation, lets say there is only one empty space on the uranium market (the remaining $2 space), it's my turn to sell uranium and I have two uranium plants/mines. Would I only be able to sell the capacity of one of my plants? If I had to guess I would think so. E.g. if I had one plant/mine with a 3 capacity and one with a two capacity, I would be able to sell uranium from just one of them, gaining 3 x $2 for the sale, and placing an uranium marker on the final space of the market.

I haven't gotten the chance to play this board yet, but I'd like to get these questions ironed out first. Again, if I had to guess, I would say that you can only sell uranium up to the point the market fills up, but I wish the rules were a little more specific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
The uranium markers only signify price and the changing of price. All the markers being on the board still shows you the price (and off the top of my head seems unlikely if there are uranium mines in play, it certainly hasn't happened when we have played). It is not that market has dried out, if anything it is saturated and the price is poor. (see Henning's comment below)

Did you notice in rules that in phase 5 instead of being added like other resources nuclear markers are removed from the market?

The example in the rules covers you owning multiple mines, you calculate your income based on all the uranium you are going to sell based on the current price, thus you would sell five uranium for 10 Electro and if there was only one nuclear marker left, you would place that into the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
You can only sell it for the highest (uncovered) price. The uncovered part might be a little less than clear in the rules but should be obvious once you see it in action.

So if nothing is open, you can't sell it this turn.

I also agree with Frazier that you sell as much as you want for the current price. Then you cover up the spaces. So even with only one space open, you could sell from more than one mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wow This is vaguely written. I agree with the OP; it just does not say. I am tempted to go with Fraser, because I think Henning implied it in a comment elsewhere. But maybe I am remembering Fraser's comment elsewhere. I would like Henning to weigh in on this question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Kröpke
Germany
Ascheberg
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must apologize, as we really did not write what happened with a full uranium market.

If the uranium market is completely filled with uranium tokens, you cannot sell uranium (the "worldwide demand" is saturated). In a real game this is actually very, very unlikely, as at the end of the bureaucracy phase uranium is removed again according to the resource supply table and "should" be removed faster than players will refill that market in the next round. Even more, as you start to remove uranium tokens for several rounds before the first mine will be auctioned, so there are already several empty spaces before the first player starts to mine uranium.

As Fraser correctly answered, and we wrote in the example, too: You always sell all of your uranium for the highest price and then place uranium tokens matching the number of your uranium mines. So as done in the example of the rules, the player sells 5 tokens for 4 Elektro and then places 2 tokens for his 2 mines in the market.

Best regards,

Henning
(2F-Spiele)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will James
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
So to clarify, if I have two uranium mines (let's say a 2 and a 3 capacity) and there's one empty space on the market, I can sell all my uranium capacity (5) for 2 Elektro each, and then I place the last remaining uranium marker on the final market space, right?

This would prevent whoever was next from selling any uranium, and then in bureaucracy phase uranium tokens would be taken off the market according to the resource refresh page, making space to sell on the next turn, correct?

Thanks Henning, Fraser and everyone else for helping explain this. I can't wait to play this board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Coloradogamer wrote:
So to clarify, if I have two uranium mines (let's say a 2 and a 3 capacity) and there's one empty space on the market, I can sell all my uranium capacity (5) for 2 Elektro each, and then I place the last remaining uranium marker on the final market space, right?

This would prevent whoever was next from selling any uranium, and then in bureaucracy phase uranium tokens would be taken off the market according to the resource refresh page, making space to sell on the next turn, correct?
That is my understanding of how it all works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Henning wrote:
I must apologize, as we really did not write what happened with a full uranium market.

Henning, I figured out why you left it out: It can't happen. I thought it could happen if there are two spots in the Uranium market, then someone runs two uranium mines filling the last two spots, then someone else wants to run a third mine, but the market is full. But actually everyone sells at once at the maximum price. Even though there are only two empty spots, all three mines can run, which fills the market. Immediately thereafter you refresh the fuel market, which empties spots for the next round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
Henning wrote:

Henning, I figured out why you left it out: It can't happen. I thought it could happen if there are two spots in the Uranium market, then someone runs two uranium mines filling the last two spots, then someone else wants to run a third mine, but the market is full. But actually everyone sells at once at the maximum price. Even though there are only two empty spots, all three mines can run, which fills the market. Immediately thereafter you refresh the fuel market, which empties spots for the next round.
This is not correct. You decide to sell or not in turn order.

"In reverse player order, starting with the last player, each player may sell the uranium from his mines to the uranium market."

So players earlier in reverse turn order can indeed fill the market before those later in reverse turn order. Player D sells, then fills. Player C sells at a different rate potentially, then fills. Player B may not be able to sell if all the slots or filled. Then the turn is over and pieces are removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Dover
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, you are wrong here, Randall.

Cheers,
Pawel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually the market being full seems not that rare. The reduction is only 3 (in a 6 player game) in steps one and 2, and if there are more than 3 mines this will fill up faster than it is depleted.

In our game last night a mine showed up fairly early (round 3?)
And others were not far behind.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Sonsalla
United States
Rollingstone
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
N9IWP wrote:
Actually the market being full seems not that rare. The reduction is only 3 (in a 6 player game) in steps one and 2, and if there are more than 3 mines this will fill up faster than it is depleted.

In our game last night a mine showed up fairly early (round 3?)
And others were not far behind.

Brian

Hmm, all those finishing ahead of me benefited from this mis-play. Therefore, all of them are disqualified and I win! Yaaaa!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls