IncrediBrawl» Forums » Rules

Subject: Red Pill, Blue Pill and Winning the Game clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan H
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I just received my copy of the game and I need a clarification of the following apparent contradiction/ambiguity regarding the "red pill, blue pill" power-up card and one of the core rules of the game.

The "Red Pill, Blue pill" power-up card states as it's ability:

"You may play this card immediately before a draw step. Flip a coin.
Heads - All players shuffle their hands back into their decks.
Tails - All players discard their hands."

So the rule, as stated, will result in all players removing all of the cards currently in their hand and putting them either in their deck or their discard pile before the draw phase. Does this mean that each player will begin the next round only with the cards they pickup during the draw phase? That would make sense, in and of itself, however...

The rules for "Winning the game" on page 9 of the rule book under the Play Casual Mode section state that

"If any player ever plays the last character card from their hand, and cannot draw a card because their deck is empty, the game is immediately over."

Suppose I play the "red pill, blue pill" card and everyone removes their cards from their hand before the draw phase (for sake of argument let's also suppose that no player has activated any card-drawing bonus abilities during the previous brawl.)

Now everyone draws a card and plays it as it is their only card. Now their deck is empty. Doesn't this fulfill the end-of-game conditions as stated in the previously mentioned rule from page 9?

Can any player sacrifice a glory point to get a hand of 5 cards back everytime the "red pill, blue pill" power-up card is played or do the end-of-game conditions take precedence? Or, conversely, is the "red pill, blue pill" power-up card broken in its current form?

This is really frustrating and it's the only thing about this game that is confusing to me. Maybe if I played the game out a few times i would understand it but I don't want to play with such a serious looming ambiguity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Cash
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If all hands were discarded, then all players would have no cards and therefore no characters, so all would draw up to a hand of 5 without having to pay one glory.

Now, if this draw up depleted the draw deck, and then a player ran out of characters, the game would end.

I hope I did not make it more confusing, but these are really two separate issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan H
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Problem SOLVED

I finally understand how silly I've been. The "End of Game" situation was refering to an empty draw deck not an empty hand! I'm new to these type games so I'm a bit green on terminology and thus have made a very silly error. Thanks a bunch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Leeman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hah, glad you figured it out! I had to read your question a couple times before I realized it had to be a hand vs deck issue!

If you have any other questions, let me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Pisani
United States
New Albany
Indiana
flag msg tools
I just played this game for the first time in a long time. For this red pill, blue pill card - Do you redraw what you shuffle into your deck? There is another card (leprechaun I think) where you shuffle you hand into your deck, but nothing is said about a re-draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.