Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Comeau
United States
Mishawaka
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So this is my 2 cents on the game. Bear in mind this is based off a print and play lite version. This is the first time I have printed off a game and the first time I have written something that resembles a review.

First off, I was a little iffy on the theme I am a practicing Christian (catholic) and the theme was the first thing I noticed. I am not condemning anyone, judging anyone, or trying to start a riot on BGG, I am just being honest. So I delved into the designer diary and read up everything that I could on the development of the game. The theme is there but in the process of playing the game I don't feel like the little red guy on my left shoulder is reporting to the the big red guy, bad joke sorry but again just being honest.

The game itself is so drop dead gorgeous from the art to the design of everything the box, the cards, the board. There is nothing excessive on the cards, the board, the design of the box and from a gamer's perspective that is refreshing. Every little design aesthetic on the card and the board makes sense and serves a purpose. This is literally one of the most beautiful games I have ever seen which led me to the project in the first place. I also think the rulebook deserves special mention because this is one of the most thought out , clear, concise, and easily understood rulebooks that I have come across in recent memory.

The gameplay itself is derived easily from a brief rulebook read and it is highly strategic. Not much luck here which I can appreciate. When I first read about the game being completely balanced and both parties getting the same deck I kind of winced. I thought it would have been so cool to have individual decks. Oh well. BUT THEN I played through it and I found this to be a strength not a weakness. It is agony to burn a script for power knowing that your opponent could burn you by using that same script in his deck on you. There is a lot of potential to use those cards synergistically which makes you want to play through it more than once to explore those options all while precariously handling a power meter. It is incredibly balanced. I have only had the opportunity to play with my wife a couple times and both times I was beat. When asked her thoughts she said she liked it and wanted to play through it more to explore more options. This is a good thing The actual angellic combat I find very intriguing where a lesser rank angel could potentially take out a higher ranked angel but you have to find the right approach. By that I mean my angel could be fire and I'm attacking a higher ranked angel who is water if I attack laterally i'm dead but if I can manage to flank him I could take him provided I don't exceed my movement allowance and not even taking into account any scripts that might be played that will negate my efforts. I remember reading about attacking inactive angels and how that might not be the best idea because you don't know what you are attacking so in the game with my wife I thought that inactive angel on her side of the board couldn't be anything besides I was going to live on the edge and take a chance. Well after sending my angel to the void and a couple tears later I learned the wisdom behind the initial precaution.

In summary, I would desperately (and selfishly) like to see this game get more attention because I want to see it made. I found my play throughs with a print and play totally engrossing and entertaining I can't imagine what a finished project will look like. Please take the time to look at the project page:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1281146833/kingdom-0?ref...
I have messaged the creators several times and they have gotten right back to me and this is a good thing this is the kind of company I have no problem supporting. This is the kind of company you want to see make it. The art is fantastic and you can't help but be swept up in the epicness of the battle you are immersed in when you play the game. The game play itself is logical and straightforward and makes sense along with a very polished rulebook. If you haven't check it out please do. Please give me any criticisms on the review so I can be sure to cry myself to sleep tonight. just kidding.

One con if the game is made, October seems like an eternity away whereas before I could have cared less.

To print this off I just used photo paper in my Epson. This lite copy gives you a good idea of gameplay and will wet your appetites for the full version.
Note the pandemic cubes and the CO2 CEP's. Whatever works right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Swan
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great review for what indeed seems a great game that is getting way too little attention. Check it out. This game deserves to be launched.

(By the way: The KS also offers a full bleed deluxe deck for collectors, which looks absolutely stunning.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Comeau
United States
Mishawaka
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my goal is to get the kingdom deluxe and an extra deluxe deck. we'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Willett
United States
Chapel Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
www.blacklocustgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! These are the first pics I have seen of a pnp creation and they look fantastic! Great job!

(Edit): Pnp creation for Kingdom that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Festertester
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep beautiful Downloading PNP now!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Comeau
United States
Mishawaka
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I used kodak ultra paper 8.5x11 and it isn't that many pages either very manageable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony MR
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good review and it has got me excited.
I've backed this and October seems so far away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.