8 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: 5-Ship build for OP5 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
Admiral's Order: United Force (0)
Resource: Flagship Independant (Klingon) (10)
R.I.S. Vo (16)
Donatra (4)
Flagship (0)
Interphase Generator (3)
Interphase Generator (3)
Ship SP: 26

D7-Class (16)
Ship SP: 16

D7-Class (16)

D7-Class (16)

K'T'Inga Class (22)
Drex (4)
Ship SP: 26

Nothing particularly fancy, just an attack-buffed blob. The Vo takes point and tries to be closer than the rest of the formation to the OWPs and soak the hits with 8 evade dice and 2 Interphase generators. I considered cloaked mines, but given the placement restrictions of the OWPs acting as "ships," I think ensuring that my key support ship is a terrible targeting choice is a better use of the upgrades.

The 4 Klingon ships hurl 5-6 dice modified by battlestations or Drex'lestations and blow stuff up. Individual D7s will go up like popcorn particularly with bottom-barrel firing initiative, but even losing 1 or two hopefully the counter-attack can even the odds. Anti-matter mines are a real threat too, but I can break up the formation if I can't blast the mine ship before it deploys them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Albrecht
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like it, though I'd probably add cloaked mines to the Vo. Donatra's really not going to be your enemy's primary target, when they can single shot the D7s so easily. I think you'll eat any other swarm alive though, and should be able to breeze through the OWPs before they can shoot at you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like to hear how you go with this one as I'm thinking of doing a Bajoran swarm fleet (depending what the ships are pointed at).

Just one point on the points cost for the OP.

As far as I'm aware you can't use the 10 points from United Force on the Flagship Resource.

Not a big problem as you just buy the 2 Interphase Generators and Drex with the 10 points instead but it changes the victory points ship totals on the Vo and the K'Tinga slightly.

The Vo goes up to 30 points and the K'Tinga is just the base 22 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
SteRT wrote:
Like to hear how you go with this one as I'm thinking of doing a Bajoran swarm fleet (depending what the ships are pointed at).

Just one point on the points cost for the OP.

As far as I'm aware you can't use the 10 points from United Force on the Flagship Resource.

Not a big problem as you just buy the 2 Interphase Generators and Drex with the 10 points instead but it changes the victory points ship totals on the Vo and the K'Tinga slightly.

The Vo goes up to 30 points and the K'Tinga is just the base 22 points.

I was just copy/pasting from the online STAW builder, but yes, Drex and the interphases were what I was considering the United Force upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Regardless of whether or not a swarm can work in a standard game, OP5 is not the place to try it. The OWPs can practically one-shot the majority of your ships, and the Vo can only be in one place at a time. I predict a swift and unceremonious end to this fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
Novacat wrote:
Regardless of whether or not a swarm can work in a standard game, OP5 is not the place to try it. The OWPs can practically one-shot the majority of your ships, and the Vo can only be in one place at a time. I predict a swift and unceremonious end to this fleet.

I can destroy two OWPs per turn before they have an opportunity to fire back.

If they do get that opportunity, it's not terribly difficult to present the Vo as the closest target. I can run the other 4 ships in a 2x2 brick with the vo as sort of an arrowhead ahead of that and everything still benefits from the buffs.

It's glass-cannony, but I'm not convinced my go-to Fed Unified Strike Force is the right answer to OP5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Swarms are a lot more effective than I first thought, at least when I've gone up against them. But they can be hard to fly without crashing. OP5 will be easier to deal with than trying to fly around/through a planet though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see a mention of it in your post, so you might want to check about using the Admirals Orders with your event organizer. They were designed for moth 4's event and even say January right on the cards. They announced that there wouldn't be Orders for Feb/Month 5, and they may possibly make a return for Month 6. Be sure that your venue is allowing you to use them for the event so you don't end up having to make last minute adjustments to your fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.