Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a low turnout this month. I think only fourteen runners showed up. We only played four rounds instead of our usual five. I think the weather, the holiday on Monday, and other factors contributed. However, thanks to those factors I was able to win a tournament for the first time ever. Not too excited about it, though. I didn't really deserve to win. Players that I know are better than me did not show up. Players who did show up were ahead of me, but in the final round their game went to time giving me an edge of 1 prestige point. If they had finished their game on time, I would not have won.

Anyway, excuse my bad memory, but here is what I can recall from the games that I played. My memory is so bad that match 1 and 2 may even be reversed. I played these games this morning. My memory is awful. This is why I fail. It's one reason why I record video.

If anyone I played against reads this and recalls the games differently, you are almost definitely right, and I am wrong. Please correct me.

My deck lists are at the bottom.

Match 1

In round 1 I played Adam, who I had not played against in quite some time. I ran first against his NBN. The whole game I really felt like I was in control. He kept playing Jackson Howard to draw tons of cards. I kept running everything. I was worried he was possibly baiting a Midseasons, but I didn't really care when I'm sitting at 4-0. Then I scored a Beale and the game hit 6-0. I've got a big old grin thinking I'm going to win this game. Then he starts counting a bunch of credits and such. What is he doing?

After about a minute of counting, he plays Punitive Counterstrike. Did you know that thing is only two influence??!?!?! I've got two cards in my hand by the way. I had Plascrete in the deck, and probably would have played it, but I hadn't drawn it at this point. I beat the trace. He plays another one on click 2. Ok, I take two meat damage because I can't beat the trace. He plays a third one. Game over. Incredible. Amazing. Beautiful. Sadly, this strategy isn't tenable. Adam did not go on to do very well. But the element of surprise certainly worked on me, just not on anyone else. Obviously there was some luck involved. I'm not bitter, though. It was amazing.

Game two I'm corping against his Noise. I don't remember much of this game except that it was too easy. He milled some cards, but three Jackson Howards prevented that from causing too much trouble. I was able to Breaking News into Closed Accounts after he emptied his Liberated Accounts. I may have also trashed some resources. The econ denial really kept him from being able to run at all. I rode the boring Astrotrain to victory.

Match 2

Ok, here's what I remember. I wanted to come out really aggressive to make the corp rez ICE. I think my opponent was playing HB:ETF. I ran R&D turn 1 and saw a Junebug that I trashed. Now I know he's playing traps. I grab my Deus Ex. He installs and double advances a naked card. I don't have an Infiltration or anything. If it's Junebug or Agenda, I've got this. If it's Cerebral Overwriter, that's OK. I can win the game even if I have a bunch of brain damage. It's Cerebral. Ok, that's cool. A little while later I also run a 1-advanced Cerebral. OK. Things are getting pretty annoying here, but I'm still in this. I don't remember anything else until the epic conclusion. I do a bunch of shenanigans to be able to run a remote that I know has an agenda in it. It was either a winning agenda, or would have gotten me to 6. Either way, I miscalculated. There was an Ichi 1.0 on that server, and I wasn't able to break the trace subroutine. He succeeded on the trace. I was fine taking another brain damage. I already had 3. But wait. I had used all the cards in my hand, such as Test Run, to be able to pull that run off. I was dead. GG. Epic.

Corp game. I remember even less. Completely boring NBN domination. Choo Choo all aboard the Astrotrain again.

Match 3

After lunch I played Seth, who I play relatively often. He's got Weyland. I start by joking about how neither of us can win. He's got 1.5 wins and I've got two corp wins. So let's just have fun and not care about this game so much. Well, I'm sorry I said that because I guess I convinced him to keep a somewhat risky hand, and I went on to win the whole thing. But yeah, the game was over unfairly quickly. IIRC I hit R&D hard and fast, and it gave up the ghost.

The corp game was more interesting. It went long. I still won using the typical NBN nonsense, but I got lucky that his runner deck didn't work. He had some MU issues, and could only get his breakers out with no supporting cards. I was able to drain his econ a bunch, and he couldn't get very many successful runs or trash my SanSan. In the late game he finally got his memory and datasuckers, but it was too late. The train had left the station.

Match 4

Here I played against Tyler, who I played against this very week. We both were playing decks we played that other night. With my bad memory it took a few minutes for me to remember what he was doing. He remembered I was doing Parasite Recursion. I remembered that his Custom Biotics was all about Midseasons and Psychographics after I saw a Midseasons on an early R&D run. Because I remembered this, I played very slowly and carefully. I didn't even install my Pro Contacts because losing the 5 credits there would have put me in danger of Midseasons. I carefully kept my credit count as high as I could to stay safe. I also tried to make him rez as many ICE as possible so that he spent all his credits. I even paid the quite painful price to trash some Adonis Campaigns That were behind ICE. In the end, slow and steady won the race. I picked up one agenda at a time while always having enough credits to avoid being buried in Tags. IIRC the final Agenda was in a remote I probably couldn't have broken into. But I used Same Old Thing to Infiltrate it, then I Stimhacked right in. I do really like his deck concept, though. I would love to see it succeed.

For runner, he played the Professor. Professor is getting more popular, and is quite strong. Having tons of tutors and always having the right tool for the job is extremely strong. Sadly, he just had some bad luck. Almost all of his tutors were at the bottom of the deck. We looked after the match, and it was ridiculous. Almost every Clone Chip, SMC, and Test Run was near the bottom. He had a Magnum Opus early, which was scary. He also did lots of Quality Times/Diesels followed by Freelance Coding Contracts. But the only breaker he was able to get out on the table was a Keymaster. That breaks my Viper for 4-5 credits, not so hot. He also paid for a lot of Traces on ICE, and was hurt by my Breaking News into Resource Kill/Closed Accounts. No money and no tutors makes for a sad game. My SanSan just stayed Rezzed, and I blasted the agendas out once I drew them.

Conclusion

I really need to work on my running. I love my Parasite Recursion deck, and I've gotten good with it. But it's just not consistent enough. It's not hard for a corp to shut it down, if they know what's coming. It also just doesn't have the tools to deal with certain situations. Because it doesn't need a lot of credits to function, it doesn't generate a lot of credits. That makes it dangerous to play against anyone with assets that are expensive to trash or any kinds of Traces. It needs to face check ICE to get them rezzed for Parasites. This is really annoying when it's a tracing ice like Hunter or Data Hound. Really gums up the works. I need a new running concept.

As for the corp, it's almost unfair. If I had to play against it, I don't think I could win unless I built a runner specifically to counter it with lots of link. It's a very standard NBN no-advance/fast-advance deck like most people are running. It's just slightly upgraded with an RSVP and Sweeps Weeks. But that Sweeps Week influence let me upgrade the Enigmas to Vipers.

That's dangerous because so many Tracing ICE are very porous to someone with link or tons of credits. But this was a meta play on my part. The one thing nobody in NYC is playing is link. I know one person who plays Underworld Contacts. They use Hostage to tutor up one copy of Helpful AI to get Andromeda to two link. There's nobody out there with 3 Rabbit Holes anymore. This makes traces good, and Making News makes traces even better.

Tracing ICE get you more strength for less rez cost than ICE with hard subroutines. A Draco can tag and end the run, and rezzes for 1! It's crazy. The best part of traces, though, is the psychological effect.

When a runner hits an Enigma, they just lose a click and end the run. When they hit a Viper, they often pay to get through. I'm much happier if they drain their economy that much, than if they let the subroutines fire. You want to pay all that for one access? Be my guest. Runners continually ran dry on credits because they were beating nasty traces so often. Someone even paid 5 to stop me from getting 3 credits back on Caduceus. I really wanted those credits, but they got the worse end of it.

So what did we learn? Show up to tournaments with low turnout. Make sure all the people better than you stay at home in bed. Learn to play fast, and make sure your opponent plays fast. Going to time can cost a prestige point and the tournament. Then a non-deserving player like me will end up winning. Also, knowing the meta can really help. If you know the one thing that nobody in your area is doing, it's not hard to build a deck where that one thing is the only major weakness. Too bad in NYC people play every kind of corp imaginable, so I can't think of any runner that can win consistently.

DECKS

Pair of Sights (45 cards)

Kate "Mac" McCaffrey: Digital Tinker

Event (19)
3 Dirty Laundry
3 Indexing
2 Infiltration
2 Scavenge
1 Stimhack
3 Sure Gamble
3 Test Run
2 The Maker's Eye

Hardware (7)
3 Clone Chip
2 Grimoire ••••
2 Plascrete Carapace

Resource (6)
3 Professional Contacts
3 Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (4)
2 Crypsis
1 Deus X
1 Femme Fatale

Program (9)
3 Datasucker •••
3 Parasite ••••• •
3 Self-modifying Code

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/

NBN TIME (49 cards)

NBN: Making News

Agenda (12)
3 AstroScript Pilot Program
3 Breaking News
2 Character Assassination
1 Gila Hands Arcology
3 Project Beale

Asset (3)
3 Jackson Howard

Upgrade (5)
2 Bernice Mai
3 SanSan City Grid

Operation (12)
3 Beanstalk Royalties •••
3 Closed Accounts
3 Hedge Fund
3 Sweeps Week

Barrier (5)
3 Ice Wall •••
2 TMI

Code Gate (7)
3 Pop-up Window
1 RSVP
3 Viper •••

Sentry (5)
3 Caduceus ••••• •
2 Draco

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Minis painted "As you wish"
badge
PM me for commission painting info!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on the win! You need to give yourself more credit. Tournaments determine the best player of the event, not all time. Those "better players" didn't even show up, so they are irrelevant. YOU are the champion of that event! Enjoy your moment...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apreche wrote:
We had a low turnout this month. I think only fourteen runners showed up. We only played four rounds instead of our usual five. I think the weather, the holiday on Monday, and other factors contributed. However, thanks to those factors I was able to win a tournament for the first time ever. Not too excited about it, though. I didn't really deserve to win. Players that I know are better than me did not show up. Players who did show up were ahead of me, but in the final round their game went to time giving me an edge of 1 prestige point. If they had finished their game on time, I would not have won.

Dude, what's with the self-loathing?! Check out your tournament record, you have been progressively improving. Your rank has been going up steadily since your first tournament. Ditch the imposter syndrome, this has been a well-deserved win. There is almost an element of luck in deciding the top 3 (because of SoS and tie-breakers), but if you're in it you usually deserve top spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on the win Scott - I'm sad I couldn't make it down for this one - but you'll see me at the store championships on the 15th.

Still angry that you flatlined me with a junebug behind matrix analyzer in HB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hamner
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
Congrats in the win and thanks for writing a great report. Can we expect any "Netrunner with Scott" vids from this tourney? Always enjoy your commentary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.