Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, let me state up front: I haven't even played the game yet, but I bought it today, and I've been reading the rules as well as the culling controversy, and I was just thinking: if culling anything you want after scoring is advantageous to a player in an early lead, but culling only the scoring die does too much to undermine the "bag-building" aspect of the game, why not replace culling after scoring with allowing the culling one die for each creature a player loses due to attacks? It would benefit those who don't get a chance to score, and possibly add some additional decision making to defensive choices.

Has this already been discussed? I don't even know if the basic culling rules will be a problem from my perspective, but that seems on the surface like a more interesting alternative than the Advanced culling rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
PoznaƄ
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems a little bit unbalanced (you can cull before your turn), but worth a try. Plus, I think that the culling mechanism was designed to work during scoring, not at other phases.

I play with own house rule, that when you score, you either cull the creature that scored and take your points, or you decide not to take points, but you can cull everything from your used pile instead. This introduces some strategical decision as to get quick points now or get more refined engine. It works quite well for a game of this weight - it allows for early culling when scoring with assistants and not getting points and then use that advantage later. Additionally, when you use a variant with corrupted quiddity dice being put on some score fields (when you reach/pass that score, you have to take those dice into your bag), it further increases the decision making, because sometimes you might not want to cross that corrupted quiddity line and further tune your engine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dspitzle wrote:
So, let me state up front: I haven't even played the game yet, but I bought it today, and I've been reading the rules as well as the culling controversy, and I was just thinking: if culling anything you want after scoring is advantageous to a player in an early lead, but culling only the scoring die does too much to undermine the "bag-building" aspect of the game, why not replace culling after scoring with allowing the culling one die for each creature a player loses due to attacks? It would benefit those who don't get a chance to score, and possibly add some additional decision making to defensive choices.

Has this already been discussed? I don't even know if the basic culling rules will be a problem from my perspective, but that seems on the surface like a more interesting alternative than the Advanced culling rules.

I'd try both the basic and advanced rules first and see what fits your play style. The basic rules only bothered me a little at the time, and the advanced rules seemed like they would remove the "bag-building" aspect as you said so I tinkered with my own house rules. Eventually I actually tried the official advanced rules and now I play with nothing else. They actually work really well and despite my initial concerns, I've found they actually promote more bag-building since you can't readily get rid of basic quiddity. This means there is a lot more incentive to buy multiple smaller creatures to fill your bag as well as spells. In addition, the really big creatures with good effects often are kept around for their abilities and stats rather than burned for a quick score.

Something to also keep in mind is that most of the later expansions are designed around the official advanced rules, so many creatures and spells work specifically with them in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.