Seven Dragons» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Seven Dragons, a game for the whole family. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Atredis
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand Seven Dragons is a re-theme of Aquarious. I never played Aquarious, and I bought this game on a whim based on a quick Dice Tower review and the beautiful artwork. I figured worst case I could do something cool with the cards as an art project. After playing it I wanna get a second copy so I can do that project, and still play a copy.

Goal

The goal is to connect the cards on the table in such a manner that seven dragons that match your secret goal color are connected at the end of anyones turn.

Rules Overview

no matter how many players are playing, all 5 goal cards are delt out. any extras are placed between players face down. The silver dragon is placed in the center of the table, it is currently wild. each player is delt three cards.

the first player draws a card, selects one to play and plays so same length sides touch. (So, you cannot form a T with cards, long sides touch and short sides touch, and cards are always flush to each other.) The only other placment convention is the at least one panel on your card has to match in color to the cards you play yours next to. if two seperate panels match you can draw an extra card at the ond of your turn, if three match you get two, and if your 4 panel card matches 4 cards around it when placed, you may draw 3 cards at turns end.

along with panel cards are action cards that may be played instead of panel cards. these are played on your turn. ewach action card has an action and a color. when played, the player chooses to use the action, use the color, or do both, The color comes into play with that silver starting dragon. Should a player decide to play the action card color, the silver dragon is now that color. It can only be changed by another played action card.

Play continues around the table untill a player has 7 dragons of their color played on the table, even when its not their turn,

Reception

My group loves this filler game. Its quick, strategic, and since we dontusually have a 5 player compliment, the extra goal cards that get passed around offer a real hurdle when firuging out who has what color in order to block them and advance yourself. It offers anough luck and stratedgy to keep the game intresting.

Negatives

I wish their was more unique artwork, since the present artwork is stunning. but that is not a functining issues with the game, just a personal preference.

I also see that this game can require a ton of table space. if you have limited space, this game might not work well.

Final Thoughts

I would recommend this game to anybody who needs a quick filler game or a game that will grow with children. The rulebook offers pre-school rules that are more like simple color matching, and adds elements as the child grows. And my group of upper 20 and 30 year olds loves it, so I believe it will suit all age groups. Plus it plays 5, so it should fit alot of groups. The price is right, and the storage space needed on your shelf is minimal. Aquire this beautiful game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Schensted
United States
Lakefield
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like you can never have too many filler games! And obviously your review solidified that feel. Also, DRAGONS. So there's that.

Thanks for the quick, light and honest review! This sounds fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Reaser
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to concur with your review, and I also have to say... this game is terribly underrated. This is one of the very few games in my collection that scales up perfectly from kids to adults and works well regardless of how experienced the adults are. Whether they are frequent gamers or casual gamers, the game tends to provide a good mix of short-term strategy (just get the seven dragons without much planning) and long-term strategy (setting up back-door wins or plotting to use the right actions at just the right time). It works just as well as a family game as it does as a warm-up game for a serious game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brault
United States
Chebanse
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seven Dragons is one of nine games I bought my friend's family for Christmas. Had to work around the games fitting a decent span of ages and this is probably one of the best choices I made in regards to that. We have played it a few times now it is simple enough, but just complex enough that it holds for the adults as well. I think it is a great game to keep on hand for short bursts as well as it is a great way to ease non tabletop gamers into larger titles. Seven Dragons can easily ease one into FLUX into King of Tokyo...ect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.