Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to: http://www.lostbattaliongames.com/c-384-publishers-corner.as... Mr. Taylor was working on this when he died and that work was carried on by others after he died. We might see the new version this year??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Parker
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a preview image is up on the LBG website during reconstruction. Hope there is a miniatures version in addition to the 2d version.

http://www.lostbattaliongames.com/Images/LBG/RallyRound/Rall...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery McCulloch
United States
Buda
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this many moons ago. I wonder if the latest iteration will be on KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Riker
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's True!
I just Kickstarted a base version of the game, with estimated shipping date of October of this year.
Looks to be a very interesting game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1649576328/rally-round-... for those interested.

Looks very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the KS I didn't understand how the "zooming" aspect of the game works. Does this mean:

1. There are three separate scales of the game(divisional, battalion, regimental) and you choose at which level of detail you wish to play?

2. The divisional scale is used for troop movement and then you always switch to the "zoomed-in" scale for engagement?

3. The same as #2 except players may choose to resolve combat at the scale of their preference? (This is what I inferred from the KS description)

The map is beautiful, and the use of the stands in place of miniatures seems a great compromise between the aesthetic of minis and the practicality of cardboard counters.

Anyway, it looks like an interesting system. I'd love to see some actual gameplay to get a better feel for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree Jeff. We need some game play videos and it sounds like they have some on the way.

I am also confused about the "zoom" aspect. I gather also that your point #3 is how it works.

I am realistically looking at the Brigade pledge level and I hope that at the level you feel like it is a "complete" game and not just a starter set or demo version of the actual game. I am sure more info will be on the way soon to help clear up the picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking int is a combination of 1 and 3, depending on what you buy. All three scales are available and I am assuming you can choose to resolve whatever you like at whichever scale you like. I would hesitate to even think about the whole battle at the company level...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter OHara
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Will this only be a Gettysburg game? IIRC the old game was a generic brigade level ACW game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a gorgeous product, and I'm familiar with the quality from purchasing SMG and D-Day Sergeants.

But the presentation is still a bit unclear, despite two videos. If I'm understanding correctly, the "first day" or "second day" packages do not include the full battle, despite a 34" board, but there's such a price jump to the full battle game it's hard to understand just what those "day" packages include.

The demo of the "brigade system" applied to the fight for Culp's Hill has a tremendous lot of die rolling but seemed not to yield much of a discernible outcome except for one Federal brigade heading away with a shaken Corps commander in train, and everyone else in position and at the same strength they started. I also couldn't detect any influence of terrain despite the very steep and wooded nature of that part of the field.

I'd like to see a video on how the "divisional/small map" game plays, and understand more about those "day" packages and the differences between price levels.

Tempting, in a way, but lots of questions at the moment.

EDIT: I'm now presuming that "first day" equals "very early bird" and "second day" equals "early bird," while the next level is the same thing, but after the $140 level limited quantity is all taken. I've kicked in at that level (edit: the regimental version costs more than the divorce which would ensue if I yielded to THAT temptation!).

However, I do wish the "small map" fast-play divisional game, even if with only a paper version of the map and downloadable rules, could be included at this level. It seems to be a very different game, but a desirable one when available playing time is limited.

Participating partly because of LBGames' track record, partly because of my interest in G-burg, and partly out of respect for S. Craig Taylor's memory and his many contributions to the wargaming hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1932f20 wrote:
I agree Jeff. We need some game play videos and it sounds like they have some on the way.

I am also confused about the "zoom" aspect. I gather also that your point #3 is how it works.

I am realistically looking at the Brigade pledge level and I hope that at the level you feel like it is a "complete" game and not just a starter set or demo version of the actual game. I am sure more info will be on the way soon to help clear up the picture.

I hope those videos and some sort of update appear soon. The KS campaign has been strangely quiet ever since Thursday, and support level seems to have stalled. Granted, there are twenty days to go, but there's been next to no new support all weekend--I thought at least a few "Father's Day Indulgences" would have appeared.

Re the "zoom" aspect, it looks to me as though players will have the option to go to a smaller distance scale (using the 5 x 5 tiles to build a large "battle board" representing a key segment of the main game board) for the Regimental game, and employing a more detailed tactical battle-resolution system wherein each stand is a regiment rather than a brigade. Not an option for the Division or Brigade game.

After the well-executed "D-Day Sergeants" campaign (which was clear and effective for the main game, though the plethora of add-on options because a bit burdensome to keep track of), I'm truly surprised that "Rally" is not exhibiting more dynamism in the campaign and not showing more enthusiasm for the product.

Edit: Now updates and elaborations can be found via a link on the main KS campaign page. Some good explanations and also good news about a reduction in the oversized Leader bases. I hope support grows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit concerned - pledged at the Brigade level and watched some videos but it just looked like a chocolate mess while the Regimental level videos showed a much more organized setup and play action. Has anyone played or seen demos of the game in person and have comments on the two levels of play. I'd rather pledge the level that gives me a better play experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Civil War, I like Civil War games, I like having a miniatures feel without actually buying and storing miniatures. So this game should be a no brainer for me to support on Kickstarter. However it seems very confusing on the levels and what you get and how gameplay actually works. Then add in that the cost is not inexpensive at what seems like the best size to have. I am pretty sure a lot of people like me are on the fence and have not pulled the trigger as it seems very murky how the system works and how the different levels / sizes change game play. Plus this forum is very quite for a kickstarter from a company that launched a previously successful kick starter D-Day Sergeants. I think the proof of my observations are evident by the very low backing on Kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lauffenburger
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to play a portion of the regimental game at CSW Expo. (We played Heth vs Buford.)

I had a blast. It is a "real" miniatures move/charge/fire combat system on the beautiful maps.

One thing that makes it unique are the command cards. You have a hand of cards (size set by commander limit rating), re-filled each turn by a different commander rating. You can only play the cards you have: they might be "Move n stands" or "Rally x stands" or "Fire y" or many others. It really made for a tense battle.

I was told that each brigade, division, and corps has a UNIQUE card deck for its command cards. Thus, some brigades move slower (have less move cards), or attack more rarely, or fire more often, or rally quicker, etc. Apparently, the individual brigades cards were all calculated in some manner...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.