Canada
Trois-Rivieres
Quebec
flag msg tools
Well
badge
Played
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a game yesterday for the first time with 4 player.

Is it me, or the 4th player's little recruit token is realy unfair?

He's the last on the first turn to choose on the board so he have the remaining place and remaining ressources. PLUS, he probably have to pay 1 gold taxe on almost 2-3 space on the board (for a magister, trade market, ressource market) PLUS if he want to get back 1st or second, he have to keep his magister instead of playing it.

Could it be more fair if the 3rd player have a recruit as rulebook, and the 4th have a recruit and 1 more gold?

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonGetsGames
United States
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We felt the same thing honestly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Aemisegger
United States
Glen Carbon
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really find the Tax Collector that useful. I have played the game a half dozen times or so now and there always seems to be a way around the tax collector. There are plenty of spaces available in a 4 player game everywhere on the board.

Magisters are way to powerful at the start of the game to just keep in your hand. If you are going last and it bothers you. Put your magisters in your second hand and just take 5 courtiers. Remember turn order is first done by the number of cards left in hand, then whether or not it's a magister.

Personally find the Cleric a lot more useful than the tax collector.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CptSquash wrote:
I don't really find the Tax Collector that useful. I have played the game a half dozen times or so now and there always seems to be a way around the tax collector. There are plenty of spaces available in a 4 player game everywhere on the board.

Magisters are way to powerful at the start of the game to just keep in your hand. If you are going last and it bothers you. Put your magisters in your second hand and just take 5 courtiers. Remember turn order is first done by the number of cards left in hand, then whether or not it's a magister.

Personally find the Cleric a lot more useful than the tax collector.

I think the Tax Collector is good for making it harder for other players as money can be quite tight. However, it doesn't help you a lot to get money (if that makes sense). In the few games I played, a Tax Collector (or even 2!) on the Planetarium or Academy helped to gain the majority for the player who bought 2 of their scientists using a TC.

As for the starting bonuses, I haven't played it often enough, but an extra token for the 4th player seems about right. Even in a 2 player game the 2nd player receives an extra recruit; being last in a 4 player game is far worse as you pointed out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.