Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First time out in the Antilles for Rob against the old pirateers of Game Boy and myself. There are so many good 4 player games out there that this one only ever comes out with 3 players - which I think it’s best with anyway despite some others thinking 4, reasons being:

- Less down time (which can be considerable - this is a thinking game with spatial gymnastics involved, and twisted thinking along the lines of if I remove my caballero card here, then I can whack his caballero card with this island I just picked up)
- Less chance of you getting sidewhacked by cumulative tile placements from your opponents that you couldn’t plan for

We played the advanced game as normal, it providing for more interesting play than the basic game. We also put quite a bit of thought into our play, taking it over the 2 hour mark.

My theory that whoever leads after the first round wins the game was put to the test and thankfully shot down. Game Boy led by 7 after the first scoring round (after a particularly good coup with his double play 9 card kicked me off my own island which then saw his Grande installed), and 5 after the second scoring round. However I’d invested more heavily early on in ships and was finally able to bring them all to bear for biggish points in the final round to swing the game. Rob dominated the biggest island and got more and more into the swing, but it’s very hard to haul in big leads in this game, and harder still in a first game.

Scores: Pat 138, Andrew 130, Rob 102

A rating of 8 after 7 plays; very good game, always happy to play. Your brain is a happy mush afterwards, but it’s rewarding to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.