Subject: Best times to hit the restroom during long movies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
I ran the numbers in the graph through a linear model, and found that the highest-grossing movies have, on average, only been getting 0.11 min longer per year, with a standard error of 0.23 (p = 0.66), which is not significantly different from zero.

Perhaps I'm just really efficient, but if I take off the moment the sappy music starts, I can get back before anything important happens in any movie.

Sorry, but you've been scooped:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
This just might be the most useful app ever created.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
My solution is simple. When planning to go to the movies, I don't eat or drink 2 hours before hand and don't eat or drink during the film.

The few times I break this, I inevitable end up having to hit the head half way or 3/4 of the way through the film.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
My solution is simple. When planning to go to the movies, I don't eat or drink 2 hours before hand and don't eat or drink during the film.

The few times I break this, I inevitable end up having to hit the head half way or 3/4 of the way through the film.

The best way to achieve this is to talk in advance with your companion as to make the date's process go in reverse. Based on how well you know the date will go, you can then change plans and post-fact, provide an experience that matches the conclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:

This needs more attention.

It both suggests when to go run for a bathroom break AND lets you know if you need to stick around for an extra scene after the credits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Verkisto wrote:

That's the sort of thing that makes America awesome! thumbsup

The thing is, when I look at the website which includes Pee Times for "The Desolation of Smaug" nobody suggested the pee time I listed above.

Apparently whoever writes these thinks I want empty action sequences instead of important expositional bits. I soblue

To be fair, Bombur with the barrel *was* hilarious... (stay for the end bit on this clip...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:

Thanks. I like this app a lot. My wife just missed a key scene in the last movie we went to because we didn't have this. Excellent idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a weird universal local custom here to insert an intermission in the middle of any movie for things like bathroom breaks and to sell food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacre Bleu
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, if 2012 is considered to be an outlier (which is reasonable, given the large disparity between it and 2011), then they have gotten shorter in the last few years.

Also the best time to go to the bathroom is before it starts! Duh. Then if you need to go during the movie, just pee on the person sitting next to you, staring them in the eyes the whole time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you're a man, the best time to hit the head is when you get home from the movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
It's a weird universal local custom here to insert an intermission in the middle of any movie for things like bathroom breaks and to sell food.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen an intermission within a film or not, memory gets fuzzed that far back. But I do recall when you used to get a programme maybe of two films, or a film and a supporting feature (and a newsreel is before my time) and that had a natural intermission. Gone With the a Wind definitely had one - it's still there on the DVD. And I saw another film on DVD with a surprising intermission a while back. From memory it was Ice Station Zebra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last movie I saw in an indoor theater that had an intermission was Empire of the Sun.

Best time...scene change right after someone gets killed.

Also I haven't been to a movie when some hero, robot, alien or zombie wasn't murdered by one of the previously mentioned since Empire of the Sun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
whac3 wrote:

I'm not sure if I've ever seen an intermission within a film or not, memory gets fuzzed that far back. But I do recall when you used to get a programme maybe of two films, or a film and a supporting feature (and a newsreel is before my time) and that had a natural intermission. Gone With the a Wind definitely had one - it's still there on the DVD. And I saw another film on DVD with a surprising intermission a while back. From memory it was Ice Station Zebra.

Here it's standard procedure to stop the film about the middle & give people a break. There's some skill to managing it as I've never seen them actually split a scene but they always do it. Admittedly I on't go to the cinema much & with two small children I don't at all lately because it's too loud for them. Still an intermission was added for example to the last two Star Wars prequels & Harry Potter 5 & 6, four films I saw here in theaters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Where Eagles Dare has (had?) one, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just working from a fuzzy memory, I think intermissions went out with the advent of the multi-screen theater. Even when the twin theaters (TWO!!! screens!!!)began to spread, management could properly space out start/finish and intermission times. This not only spread out bathroom crowds, but increased concessions $$$ due to shorter lines. When theaters grew to as few as four to six screens this became much harder to manage and the theater owners just stopped intermissions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The barrel scene was the only scene I liked in the last Hobbit movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember watching Dances With Wolves in the theater as a kid and it had an intermission. Only time I recall that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verdigris97 wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Where Eagles Dare has (had?) one, too.

Now that I did see at the cinema when first released. Both based in books by Alistair Maclean. Though in the case of Ice Station Zebra, very loosely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cooler king wrote:
Just working from a fuzzy memory, I think intermissions went out with the advent of the multi-screen theater.

Not here. Multi-screen cinemas are much more recent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
I think I've seen an intermission once, I think it was a showing of "Seven Samurai".

But bathroom breaks in movie theaters...Don't drink so much before and during the movie! I can understand it in a 3+ hour movie, but a normal 2 hour one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Weren't intermissions linked with changing the reel? If the film is a two reeler and the cinema has only one projector you have an intermission whilst they change the reels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The barrel scene was awesome.
Unrealistic? The Hobbit? No way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't enjoy the barrel scene. It could have been cut by at least half.

It's like they took all the mistakes of the escape from the orcs in the first movie, and put them in and doubled down in the barrels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wolverine bathroom times would be during any of the Jean Grey dream/love scenes. In fact, I think I did going to the restroom during at least two of those scenes and I don't feel like I missed anything.

Protip: Do not chug a Long Island Iced tea right before a movie. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Intermissions in movies are common in Europe. Not for bathroom breaks, but to sell overpriced food and drinks. That is how theaters make their money.

In "olden days", long movies actually had an Intermission planned in the movies. Some of Stanley Kubrick's longer ones have it (Spartacus, 2001), Ben-Hur has one, and I think Lawrence of Arabia also has one. There are many more examples, but I don't know those from the top of my head.

There is, of course, also the explicitly planned Intermission in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", which happens 5 minutes before the movie ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.