Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Picioccio
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive me if this was already asked; I couldn't find it after searching and browsing the rules forum.

The rulebook states that you cannot destroy a card after having already used it Dungeon/Village ability, but it does not say you cannot discard it. Can you?

Here's the example:
Dungeon turn, I have the Imp familiar. The Imp familiar has a 6xp Dungeon action to discard two cards and draw two more. I have laid out all my cards, and I use the ability on a Moonstone to draw a card. Can I then discard the moonstone (and another card) as part of activating the Imp's action?

I do not think "discard" only applies to cards in your hand (and not "in play"), because the game doesn't make that distinction in other cases - you're laying out your cards all at once, then activating abilities, not playing out of your hand. Also, there are monsters that force discard of equipped weapons as their Battle effect. Therefore, since the rulebook did not say I could not, and the pattern supported it, I thought that I could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mopic42 wrote:
The rulebook states that you cannot destroy a card after having already used it Dungeon/Village ability, but it does not say you cannot discard it. Can you?

You are playing correctly: you may use a Dungeon ability to discard another card, even if that card's Dungeon ability has already been used. You're right that the rules don't say this explicitly, but for that reason, we've clarified this explicitly in the recent rules for Numenera:

p.19 wrote:
You can discard a card that has been used for its Dungeon ability.

So in your example, yes, you could use the Moonstone to draw a card, then discard it with the Imp's ability (and another card, probably the Imp itself) to draw 2 more cards. Note, though, that once you've discarded the Moonstone, you no longer get to count its Light.

Discarding, unless otherwise stated, will apply to all cards present. You're right, because you reveal your entire hand at the beginning of a Village or Dungeon action, there is no longer any distinction between a card being present and a card being 'in your hand'. You may discard a card present even if you haven't yet used its ability, because it is still present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Picioccio
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

I would have thought the Imp wasn't really "in my play area" - it's kinda off to the side somewhere, since its rules as a familiar are so different. My recollection is that the rulebook states that I discard it at the end of a turn when I used one of its abilities. I assumed (I guess incorrectly!) that this meant I couldn't discard it at other times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mopic42 wrote:
I would have thought the Imp wasn't really "in my play area" - it's kinda off to the side somewhere, since its rules as a familiar are so different. My recollection is that the rulebook states that I discard it at the end of a turn when I used one of its abilities. I assumed (I guess incorrectly!) that this meant I couldn't discard it at other times.

This is somewhat clarified in the rules:

p.12 wrote:
Your hand consists of all cards you have drawn this turn and have present. Familiars are considered part of your hand.

But I asked a similar question a while back and got an official response: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9902084#9902084
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figo 3434
msg tools
Slightly different question: If a card's dungeon effect gives you a bonus (e.g. battle hawk: (3XP: +1 light/6XP: +1 physical attack and draw a card), can you discard that card to satisfy another card's battle or dungeon effect and still use the bonuses (provided that you have 6 XP)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Figo3434 wrote:
Slightly different question: If a card's dungeon effect gives you a bonus (e.g. battle hawk: (3XP: +1 light/6XP: +1 physical attack and draw a card), can you discard that card to satisfy another card's battle or dungeon effect and still use the bonuses (provided that you have 6 XP)?

The short is answer is yes, you retain the result of the ability even though the card that generated it is now gone.

This is a very murky area. The rules state that the result of a weapon's used ability is not lost just because the weapon goes away. It doesn't mention any other type of card, but we can infer that abilities are persistent, to a degree.

Here are some official rulings to help puzzle out the edge cases:

Simple case: an attack spell's Magic Attack persists: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/10157928#10157928

More nuanced cases, depending on whether the ability was buffing another card, or itself, or just sort of contributing to the party in general:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/11209661#11209661

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.