BattleLore (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Battlelore 2e VS. Dust Tactics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kolyo Kostov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the title says everything. I will appreciate any comments about comparison between these two games.

I own Dust Tactics Revised Core Set and I think it's really fun tactical combat game, but in the end there comes the dice rolls - it gets pretty swingy, the luck factor has really huge impact for my taste. So is the dice combat in Battlelore 2e something similar or is it better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kolender wrote:
Well, the title says everything. I will appreciate any comments about comparison between these two games.

I own Dust Tactics Revised Core Set and I think it's really fun tactical combat game, but in the end there comes the dice rolls - it gets pretty swingy, the luck factor has really huge impact for my taste. So is the dice combat in Battlelore 2e something similar or is it better?

still waiting on my BL2 to arrive but i played BL1 tons, and i have read through the rules of BL2 and understand the changes. i have not however played Dist Tactics. so i cant comment on how swingy that is.

BL2 uses dice for combat resolution, to the possibility exists for swingyness. if 75% of your rolls all day are double swords (melee hits even for weak units) then you will do far better than an opponent who rolls average swords, unless he can seriously outsmart you.

positioning is very important and the key to why is retreats. you are always forced to retreat directly away from your opponent. if the spot they have to run is blocked those retreats become hits. so good position will skew the odds in your favor. by the same token, if you are forced to retreat into a friendly unit, you ignore those retreats, again skewing the odds in your favor as your unit will be able to counterattack since they are not retreating.

so is there luck? yes. but good positioning is always rewarded, on the micro level. on the macro level saving the right command and lore cards for the right time is rewarded, rather than just playing them randomly. so again we have some swingyness at the macro level, but careful play will produce better results.

hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tactics, warfare and BL... what I like about BL is that even if you do not get a successful rol with swords... you can still get a retreat, a lore, or a special... I find it rewarding in that I might punk on my roles, but there is a chance I can get soemthing that actaully works in my favore down the road...

I love Dust too... but there is nothing worse than setting up a great move and watching all those blanks :(

Again, love both... but dice rolling much more satisfying in BL2...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rocky123 wrote:
I have tactics, warfare and BL... what I like about BL is that even if you do not get a successful rol with swords... you can still get a retreat, a lore, or a special... I find it rewarding in that I might punk on my roles, but there is a chance I can get soemthing that actaully works in my favore down the road...

I love Dust too... but there is nothing worse than setting up a great move and watching all those blanks

Again, love both... but dice rolling much more satisfying in BL2...

agree with all your points. i think the fact you can adjust your odds with good positioning like this is a very elegant system. for example, a non weak melee unit hits 2/6 of the time, but if you add good positioning, turning retreats into hits, that jumps it to a 3/6 chance to hit. if your unit also happens to be an aggressive unit with a damaging crown ability, then its 4/6. the remaining 2 sides of the die, one is an outright miss (the target icon) and the last one gives you lore tokens, which isnt bad.

the way you simply modify your odds in this game is so simple yet effective, i cant wait till Wednesday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolyo Kostov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot to you all for the comprehensive answers - that was exactly the info I was searching! I think I'll give it a try... and so many other good games are out there! Hard decisions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brendan b
United States
chicago
Select State
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this game gives the most satisfying dice rolling experiences out of any game I own(including Dust Tactics: two original core sets, one revised core set, and some expansions.)

Even if you blow your roll and completely miss your attack, there will almost always be something beneficial you can get out of the dice results.

Last night, I completely missed with 4 dice, but got some lore tokens as a consolation prize. On my wife's turn, she wiped out my unit with a single roll, but I was able to use the lore tokens I got on my turn to play a lore card which gave my unit a counter attack before they died. The dice were nicer to me this time and I was able to wipe her out too.

Even if you like Dust Tactics a little bit, you should definitely buy this game. The only problem is the lack of dice. It only comes with four, which is fine, but there are situations where you need to roll more than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolyo Kostov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the game example and clarificatons, Brendan! Well, now I think I'll buy the game, the only question is when.

The lack of dice is annoying, but I'm used to it - the Dust Tactics games are good place for training - like 6 dice for 18 dice check

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C

Illinois
msg tools
While I think that due to various consolation prizes (retreats and lore results) you're less likely to get super diced in the new Battlelore, there is definitely something to be said for the awesomeness of rolling a metric ton of dice in Dust Tactics every time your BBQ Squad attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.