Descent: The Road to Legend» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lots of questions!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
play havock
msg tools
mb
How EXACTLY does poison damage work?
- It is written in a VERY confusing way.. please clarify.

Do I take dmg - AND gain poison markers?
Do I just gain poison markers?
???
--

Can you attack a charter IN A PIT?
--

When overlord adds THREAT at beginning of turn, does he add THREAT IN THE DUNGEON - or each hero IN THE GAME?

-
Do figures block line of sight?
-

How does the Temple rating work?

That is to say, when I visit it from a Dungeon - can I heal (5) wounds TOTAL or 5 per (gold) spent?
-

Are you "visiting" Talmar when you are in (any) dungeon and exiting to it via glyph of transport or via death of hero?
-

When gaining conquest - If I spend it - does this amount "go away" that is to say - I had about 16 conquest, and I spent it all - should I mark that I "had" 16 at one point to add to a cumulative total of conquest the overload/player has --- ??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
???

That's it. The bad thing from them is it eats up healing to get rid of the tokens, such as from a health potion.

Yes, but line of sight is restricted to adjacent to the pit. No long bomb skeleton attacks work here.

When overlord adds THREAT at beginning of turn, does he add THREAT IN THE DUNGEON - or each hero IN THE GAME?
I'm not really following you here. Each turn in RtL the OL will gain 4 threat which is 1 point for each hero in the campaign, but there are hero skills that can reduce that.

Of course, same as vanilla.

That is to say, when I visit it from a Dungeon - can I heal (5) wounds TOTAL or 5 per (gold) spent?

When you stop for healing the number of wounds recovered is equal to the temple rating of the city you are in. If you are using a glyph from a dungeon, you use the rating for Tamalir because that is where you are visiting. If you want to heal more wounds than the temple value, you must do the same action again on that hero's next turn.

Are you "visiting" Talmar when you are in (any) dungeon and exiting to it via glyph of transport or via death of hero?
Yes, so you use the market value of Tamalir as well for shopping, and the Alchemist value for potions.

When gaining conquest - If I spend it - does this amount "go away" that is to say - I had about 16 conquest, and I spent it all - should I mark that I "had" 16 at one point to add to a cumulative total of conquest the overload/player has --- ??

You keep a running total of what was earned, but you do spend it when it was used. To keep track of the age you are in (copper, silver and gold) you use the cumulative total and not what you have available to work with. So plan upgrades wisely, for both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
playhavock wrote:

It does not matter weather some heroes are in the city and some in the dungeon. The Overload always gains CP equal to the amount of heroes. I don't even know if it is possible to play RtL with less than 4 heroes by the rules. I do also not know what happens if one of your characters is in chains by the Overlord Plot (e.g. if that reduces the counter from 4 to 3). I don't even know how it works exactly, "Obsidian Shackles - Brother Against Brother" that is. That card aside you basically can say for sure that you without reduction by cards/talents get 4 threat per round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
playhavock wrote:
How EXACTLY does poison damage work?
- It is written in a VERY confusing way.. please clarify.

???

For every wound (not damage, you have to learn to differentiate between the two - attacks do damage initially, what gets through armour is wounds, which may be further reduced by shields and or other effects) that you suffer from a poison attack, you get one poison token.
So if a poison attack does 7 damage vs 3 armour, thats 4 wounds. One wound gets prevented by a shield, say, so the hero suffers 3 wounds net. The hero also receives 3 poison tokens (one for each wound suffered from the attack) in addition to removing 3 wound tokens.
Those poison tokens have no immediate effect, but if the hero later tries to heal (using a potion, or temple etc) the healing is first spent on removing poison tokens, one for each wound that would normally be healed. So our hero with three wound tokens drinks a healing potion he would remove three poison tokens and gain zero wounds back. If he instead healed at the temple for 5, he would remove 3 poison tokens and regain 2 wounds back.

Quote:

Deadsider's made a small error here. Yes you can attack a figure in a pit. Pits reduce LOS for those in them, ie looking out, not looking in, so the figure in the pit can only attack adjacent, but figures far away can still attack the figure in the pit. Its one of the few real anomalies in the rules.

Quote:

In the game, period.

Quote:

Yes. The only exception (well apart from special exceptions like the Precision skill) is that figures do not block their own LOS. So that large monster can see through itself to trace LOS from a back space through a front space (sometimes this is necessary due to obstacles and geometry)

Quote:

5 (assuming that is the temple rating) wounds total per restock action (a whole turn during a dungeon) (or during a visit action at the end of a move week).

Quote:

No (another small error by Deadsider), you are "Restocking". "Visiting" only happens at the end of a weekly hero move action when they end the week in a city. Functionally there is not a lot of difference between a visit and a restock though. The only real difference is you can't Restock in the Tavern.
RtL pg21
Using Buildings
When a hero’s figure is placed on a building area, that hero immediately gains some benefit. The specific benefit depends on which building it is and what circumstance – visiting, training, or restocking – brought him there.
• A hero visits a building when the party ends a game-week
Move action on a city location on the Terrinoth map.
• A hero trains in a building when the party takes a gameweek
Recuperate/Train action in a city, and that hero
chooses to train rather than recuperate.
• A hero restocks in a building when he uses an activated
glyph of transport and would normally be placed on the
town marker.

Quote:

Conquest never goes away. instead you also accumulate 1XP per player for each CT earned. XP can be spent, CT cannot. Since CT always goes up, its easy to just record the number of XP spent and make sure it never goes higher than the CT accumulated. You can easily check how many XP a player has available by subtracting the XP spent from the CT accumulated at any time.
RtL pg5
Experience Points
Conquest tokens earned by the heroes and overlord are converted into experience points (XP) that they can use to purchase training and other upgrades. For each conquest token the overlord earns, he gains 1 XP. For each conquest token any hero earns, every hero gains 1 XP. The players keep running totals of XP earned and spent by both the heroes and the overlord on the campaign sheet.

See also pg23 (heroes) and note that all costs are in XP not CT. Similarly for the OL all expenditure costs are in XP, not CT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew I shouldn't put that together in a rush, and Corbon has the most clear and correct answers. I honestly did miss the LOS in a pit rule myself however, had to double check it to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
play havock
msg tools
mb
so, I want to make sure I understand how damage works, because it might be we have been doing it wrong since day 1. -_-;

So, I have 8 armor.
You do 1 damage.
I take no hearts, no poison, no anything?

I have 8 armor.
You do 9 damage.
I take 1 heart, one poison, etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
In the first case, there will be neither Poison or Leech effect ; however, most additional effects (Burn, Stun, Frost, Bleed, Web ...) take effect as soon as at least one damage has been dealt *before taking armor into account*.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
play havock
msg tools
mb
Ah. we have done it wrong then... forever perhaps due to wording.

So some effects always will work no matter what as long as it "hits" even if you take no health.

@_@?

okay.. thanks ^_^;;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
playhavock wrote:
Ah. we have done it wrong then... forever perhaps due to wording.

So some effects always will work no matter what as long as it "hits" even if you take no health.

@_@?

okay.. thanks ^_^;;

Not quite. Many effects require the attack to do some damage. That means that whether you do any wounds or not doesn't matter (the damage may bounce off armour, or wounds get soaked by shields etc), but if your attack does no damage at all (eg Blue + Yellow with no hearts rolled and no damage bonuses from Command or Elevation etc) then those effects that require damage (eg bleed, burn, lots of others) will fail. Or if the damage is reduced to zero (eg from Shadowcloak vs non-adjacent attack) they will fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
I suppose it's also the case when all damage is cancelled by the various cloaks' effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merrimac wrote:
I suppose it's also the case when all damage is cancelled by the various cloaks' effect.

No the cloaks all cancel wounds, not damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
play havock
msg tools
mb
Is there a list of what effects "work" as long as (one) heart is rolled, no matter how much armor I have?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Did a quick compile by hand, and if you are online I recommend Descent in the Dark for online research. Just one caveat though, the info there is 99% accurate but on occasion they do have a mistake, so use it more as a guide before you confirm or deny a rule IMO.

Anyway, here's what I got, I feel like I'm missing one though.

Quote:
Effects that work on hit
Bleed
Burn
Daze
Frost
Knockback
Stun
Web

Quote:
Effects that work when wounds are actually done
Leech
Poison

And one last note about effects that take place on hit. They still must show 1 damage on the roll or it doesn't work. The exact wording is "after inflicting at least one damage (before applying armor)".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadsider wrote:
Did a quick compile by hand, and if you are online I recommend Descent in the Dark for online research. Just one caveat though, the info there is 99% accurate but on occasion they do have a mistake, so use it more as a guide before you confirm or deny a rule IMO.

Anyway, here's what I got, I feel like I'm missing one though.

Quote:
Effects that work on hit
Bleed
Burn
Daze
Frost
Knockback
Stun
Web

Not on "hit"!
On 'at least one damage'.
The missing one is Swallow.

Quote:
Quote:
Effects that work when wounds are actually done
Leech
Poison

And one last note about effects that take place on hit. They still must show 1 damage on the roll or it doesn't work. The exact wording is "after inflicting at least one damage (before applying armor)".

The damage need not be on the roll (dice), it could be from bonuses such as Command.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
play havock
msg tools
mb
Thanks!

My word I got so much gold in this one encounter - not that gold is that good -(in RTL) still, there was 4 hounds and I killed all of them, so I search every body... crazy amounts of gold!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
playhavock wrote:
Thanks!

My word I got so much gold in this one encounter - not that gold is that good -(in RTL) still, there was 4 hounds and I killed all of them, so I search every body... crazy amounts of gold!!

Huh?
First, gold is very important in RtL. All training has high gold costs and you need to buy treasures quite often, and potions every week and other items as well to outfit your heroes, not to mention several very important and expensive party items like Staff of the Wild etc.
Secondly, in an encounter you get one and only one roll for encounter loot, at the end of the encounter if you won. You get nothing for killing normal monsters, the usual 50 coins for killing any Master monsters (if there were any, often there are not) and a small bonus (2CT and 100 coins) for killing the encounter boss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
Pickpocket skill perhaps ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
play havock
msg tools
mb
The gold is suddenly very imporant and after re-re-reading the rules I see why!

Right now Nanok the blade "only" has 9 amour

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Altman
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
Ok. We have a dungeon. The heroes have explored 2 levels already, and have progressed to the third. Then, one hero is killed and is now considered, by game rules, to be in Tamalir. Then, the other three heroes exit through the portal.

Question: Does the last hero have to reenter the dungeon through the glyph, and then exit through the portal for the dungeon to be over? Or is it just over?
----------------------------------------------
A Lieutenant is in a city. Can the heroes attack him?

The rules talk about 'encounters' involving Lieutenants; but the Lieutenant is NEVER on an 'encounter' space; they are either in a city or a dungeon space. Does that mean 'encounters' only happen in cities, and you can't attack the Lieutenant on the dungeon space? (The rules say that the Lieutenant doesn't actually enter the dungeon).
----------------------------------------------
Also, is it really the case that figures (enemy or hero) do NOT block line of sight for spawning purposes? I mean, they block line of sight for SHOOTING purposes.... what's the confusion here?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
daltman1967 wrote:
Question: Does the last hero have to reenter the dungeon through the glyph, and then exit through the portal for the dungeon to be over? Or is it just over?

As long as one hero entered the portal, any remaining heroes in the city will get sucked through and appear at the start of the next floor. The map will get built as soon as the last hero figure is off the board. Any heroes that were in town will not stay in town either, they will start right by the glyph like a normal setup. This is for game balance.

Quote:
A Lieutenant is in a city. Can the heroes attack him?

Absolutely, and you'll have to fight them off from the city or you will lose the game. Very important concept.

Quote:
The rules talk about 'encounters' involving Lieutenants; but the Lieutenant is NEVER on an 'encounter' space; they are either in a city or a dungeon space. Does that mean 'encounters' only happen in cities, and you can't attack the Lieutenant on the dungeon space? (The rules say that the Lieutenant doesn't actually enter the dungeon).

The physical space the LT token occupies on the map doesn't matter. When you fight a LT you will draw the encounter card and set up the map as indicated and fight them there. You can fight a LT in any space you both occupy, dungeon or city, and they will always be on an encounter card map.

Quote:
Also, is it really the case that figures (enemy or hero) do NOT block line of sight for spawning purposes? I mean, they block line of sight for SHOOTING purposes.... what's the confusion here?

Game balance. If I had a card that allowed me to spawn 10 skeletons and we were in a straight long corridor with one beastman in the front, do you think I should be allowed to spawn the entire squad of skeletons in a straight row behind the beastman? That's why there's a difference. You can't see around figures for LOS purposes, but if you could spawn behind them you'd wreck the game completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
playhavock wrote:

How come he has 9 Armor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Stephens
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
playhavock wrote:

How come he has 9 Armor?

Seconded, Nanok's ability is that his armour is equal to 2 + his melee trait (the number of dice he rolls for a melee attack), so it can be 7 at the most.

I'm guessing you're doing one of two things to get 9; either allowing him to wear an armour item (his ability states he can't), or counting silver dice as 2 armour (a silver die is still 1 in his melee trait, same goes for gold).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
UDF2Archeon wrote:
ionas wrote:
playhavock wrote:

How come he has 9 Armor?

Seconded, Nanok's ability is that his armour is equal to 2 + his melee trait (the number of dice he rolls for a melee attack), so it can be 7 at the most.

I'm guessing you're doing one of two things to get 9; either allowing him to wear an armour item (his ability states he can't), or counting silver dice as 2 armour (a silver die is still 1 in his melee trait, same goes for gold).

He can also wear the Ring of Protection (+1) and The Knight's Ring (+1). At max that is still 5+2+1+1 = 9. But I assume you don't use both items on him?

Invulnerability Potions (just to let you know) are out as well.

Furthermore I found Nanok to be incredibly strong and would only allow him +1 base armor as suggested in SoB rules. This still results in 1+1+1+5 = max 8 armor (wearing 2 other items and having 5 dice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
The other option is to ban Ring of Protection and The Knight's Ring for Nanok and let him scale with Campaign level, e.g. +1/+2/+3 base armor.
Then its max 6 for copper, max 7 for silver and max 8 for gold campaign instead of max 8 across all campaign levels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.