Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This became a very easy question for me to answer during my last session when I acquired Swipe. Damn that is a nice spell. The combat part is alright, but the utility power is amazing. I can't tell you how many times we've groaned with frustration when Ezren encountered an awesome weapon. With Swipe, he was able to auto-succeed at acquiring a Shock Longbow! Hell yes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not opened the new pack yet, but my favorite up to A3 is Web. Evade a monster and put it at the bottom where you likely will never see it again, or evade a henchman or villain and put him at the top until you are ready. So much versatility. Edit: Charm Person plus Ezren is also very nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
I've not opened the new pack yet, but my favorite up to A3 is Web. Evade a monster and put it at the bottom where you likely will never see it again, or evade a henchman or villain and put him at the top until you are ready. So much versatility. Edit: Charm Person plus Ezren is also very nice.

I have to agree: Web is the best spell (up to where I am now, of course)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Martin
United States
Lacey
WA
flag msg tools
Check out my Hollenguard book series on Amazon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aid is pretty darn useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Birk
msg tools
mb
I don't think it should even be up for debate. Swipe on Ezren is the most versatile spell in the game. Heck, it may be the most versatile card in the game.

Just to be clear 1d8+3* is a solid combat card. In fact, it's Ezren's second best attack spell (behind Lightning Bolt). Or you can use it to lower the difficulty of an allies checks. Or you can use it to acquire a boon, and, for Ezren, get another free explore (since that boon almost certainly has the magic keyword.)

* minus three to the difficulty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Aid better because it is so damn versatile.

Web is plain useless as are all the evade spells. Evading is wasting an explore, better put another attack spell or a boost spell so you can make the roll and defeat the mob. Very often people had to evade because they put evade cards instead of attack cards, or at the limit anAugury.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bass
United States
Groton
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had really good usage of Augury in a solo game (running Val and Lem). Use Augury and look for monsters in the top three cards.. a good chance to find a henchman or villian to deal with at your convenience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cdbass wrote:
I've had really good usage of Augury in a solo game (running Val and Lem). Use Augury and look for monsters in the top three cards.. a good chance to find a henchman or villian to deal with at your convenience.

Augury was definitely my favorite...until I got Swipe. Scrying might be my new favorite if I ever get it. We'll see...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IKerensky wrote:
I like Aid better because it is so damn versatile.

Web is plain useless as are all the evade spells. Evading is wasting an explore, better put another attack spell or a boost spell so you can make the roll and defeat the mob. Very often people had to evade because they put evade cards instead of attack cards, or at the limit anAugury.

The great thing about Aid is that is like a rechargeable blessing. I tried making Lini a support character by putting two Aids in her deck, but then nobody wanted her help and she started failing combat checks on her own turn. Now I'm back to combat and Cure spells, plus Augury. Maybe it would have worked if I had a weapon feat.

Augury/Scry is a huge help due to game mechanics.

Overall, Lini's Cures are the most important utility spells. I can cycle my good spells and animals (I never want two in my hand) faster by shuffling my deck, and then the blessings go back into the deck. Who needs Aid as a 'blessing that recharges' when you can Cure?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IKerensky wrote:

I would have to say that I strenuously disagree, but to each their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Up to now I'd have to say Augury/Scrying; a very useful spell to have.

BUT...

In spite of playing one group all the way to the end of AP3, I have never yet encountered Web or Swipe, so I haven't even read those cards yet! So maybe, when I finally run into them, I'll like them better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Birk
msg tools
mb
Nefrubyr wrote:
Up to now I'd have to say Augury/Scrying; a very useful spell to have.

BUT...

In spite of playing one group all the way to the end of AP3, I have never yet encountered Web or Swipe, so I haven't even read those cards yet! So maybe, when I finally run into them, I'll like them better.

AP3 is very stingy when it comes to spells. Hopefully AP4 will open that up a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Apfel
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Augury and Haste are my two most useful utility spells while playing Seoni. Haste is better than having an ally since I can recharge it to explore again.

Web (and other evade type spells) are completely useless to me, and my group feels the same way. We've just completed Hook Mountain Massacre and there was never a single time in the past two adventure decks that we ever needed to evade a monster. In fact, we keep trying to think of ways to make things more challenging since we are defeating them all far too easily. Even the bosses are cakewalk as we laugh when we total the dicerolls from all the blessings and bonuses tossed in on that final check. (There are 6 of us, so a lot of blessings get thrown in.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daedalus25 wrote:
Augury and Haste are my two most useful utility spells while playing Seoni. Haste is better than having an ally since I can recharge it to explore again.

Web (and other evade type spells) are completely useless to me, and my group feels the same way. We've just completed Hook Mountain Massacre and there was never a single time in the past two adventure decks that we ever needed to evade a monster. In fact, we keep trying to think of ways to make things more challenging since we are defeating them all far too easily. Even the bosses are cakewalk as we laugh when we total the dicerolls from all the blessings and bonuses tossed in on that final check. (There are 6 of us, so a lot of blessings get thrown in.)

Exploring 80 cards in 30 turns I'd think your blessings went to continued explores (especially during the flood), unless you've been getting lucky with villains/henchman being on the top generally or have a group built for exploring. But not to get on a tangent, as that's very group-dependent.

Strength is good when it times well, especially against a villain with two checks.

My favorite as a 'why-not' is Charm Person. I like just randomly grabbing people while out adventurin'. Just a shame it can't be used on the Shopkeeper's Daughter...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calthaer the Bard
Turks and Caicos Islands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Charm Person is very useful early on for Ezren, as it effectively gives him a very good chance of transforming one of his spell cards into an "extra explore" ally once per game...and, potentially, drawing a really good ally, too (except for dear old Poog).

Augury / Scrying is probably the next best spell, at least so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Augury is my favorite. I wish I had two of them! Charm Person has been surprisingly useful and I've kept it longer than I anticipated, but it's basically just a placeholder until a better spell comes along.

I haven't encountered Swipe yet, but I doubt that will change my preference for Augury. I use the Tome of Knowledge to help acquire a boon.

I looked at Scrying when I first got the new deck, and I was disappointed. It didn't seem to be any more powerful than Augury. The wording on the card appeared to be identical, or am I mistaken? Yet it has a higher check to acquire and a higher check to recharge, not that that's a problem for Seoni. I felt it should allow you to look at an extra card or do something better than Augury.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Augury only works at your location. Scrying works at any location. So its Augury with the limit of you having to be at the location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Augury is my favorite. I wish I had two of them! Charm Person has been surprisingly useful and I've kept it longer than I anticipated, but it's basically just a placeholder until a better spell comes along.

I haven't encountered Swipe yet, but I doubt that will change my preference for Augury. I use the Tome of Knowledge to help acquire a boon.

I looked at Scrying when I first got the new deck, and I was disappointed. It didn't seem to be any more powerful than Augury. The wording on the card appeared to be identical, or am I mistaken? Yet it has a higher check to acquire and a higher check to recharge, not that that's a problem for Seoni. I felt it should allow you to look at an extra card or do something better than Augury.

It does! Check the wording again. Compare them VERY carefully...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
Augury only works at your location. Scrying works at any location. So its Augury with the limit of you having to be at the location.

Ah. Thanks for explaining that. That does sound useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.