United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are working on the 2nd Edition of Police Precinct now, and are trying to make the best choices about where to put our focus.

What matters?

How can we make Police Precinct the best it can be without driving the MSRP up.

One area we felt could really use some improvement was in the area of storage of components.

We recently listed it as a Stretch Goal on our current campaign, and here is how we described it...

"We here at CMG know that the storage solution offered in the 1st Edition was not the greatest, and how nice it would be to have a plastic insert.

Doing this is an expensive prospect and could also result in the need for a bigger box, which would further add to costs, but now YOU (the backers) can now help make this possible."

We know that many would welcome this and appreciate it, but...

Is it ultimately worth the cost?

and/thus...

Is this where we should be putting our focus (resources/assets)?

This thread is all about exploring this topic.

Please join in...

Karl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What prompted this thread?

Well...

It was what a single individual said.

We felt like he said it well, and made some excellent points, and felt like it was worthy of further discussion.

Here's what he said...

"FWIW, please DON'T waste valuable money on an insert!

What, huh, why?

They rarely ever work and end up in the trash.

What, huh, why?

1. Expansions - Like most, I want to keep my expansions in the base box. A custom fit insert tends to no longer work once expansions come out.

2. Sleeves - It's almost impossible to design an insert that accommodates folks who sleeve and folks who don't so you end up having to pick a team and frustrate the other team.

In summary, please save the money for future development.

Seriously, I'd rather keep your profit margins as high as possible so the money goes into development and improving the components as you are.

FWIW: I even chuck Days of Wonders inserts.

I bag my components, bag the expansions, and chuck them all in a single box. I use to think why does Fantasy Flight produce such crappy inserts and then I realized it's because they know they will expand the game and they know some will sleeve. I know appreciate that they save the money and reduce the waste."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We look forward to hearing any and all thoughts on this topic.

Thanks in advance to all who contribute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait...

One final thought, which is...

We are considering releasing a BIG BOX EXPANSION, which could house all sorts of expansions.

Thus, a serious fan might carry around Police Precinct, AND "Season Two"

Which could be a box that is just as big, if not bigger, than the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my $0.02 but I like the way they handled it with Flash Point: Fire Rescue and Sentinels of the Multiverse, the expansion boxes were intentionally over-sized to accommodate the promos, expansions and things which wouldn't fit in the core box or in an box sized just big enough for the expansion alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Crago
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels did do it well, though my box is now crammed with all the current expansions out and the cards being sleeved. But, they did plan ahead for some growth.

An insert may or may not be a bad thing depending on that aspect. If you can think a bit ahead of where things may be heading and accommodate that in your box and/or insert design that would definitely make some happy players. I know I try to avoid having to carry around multiple boxes if possible as I'm the one that drags my games to places to play

If you don't make the box larger for that aspect or arrange for the insert to accommodate for the expansion aspect then the likelihood of the insert getting tossed at some point is pretty high in my case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Briel
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Wallop !
mbmb
Spend the money on the game components, not the insert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
Common Man Games wrote:
We look forward to hearing any and all thoughts on this topic.

Thanks in advance to all who contribute.

You're dead on with reasons #1 and #2.

IMO, it isn't worth the added cost.

Just include a few baggies so people can bag the chits, dice, and cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, I'd rather you include baggies and rubber bands like Euphoria did. An ace insert is ace, but the odds are against it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree - with all of the possibilities with this game - sleeved cards, expansions, pimping out the game with Hot Wheels and such, an insert doesn't really make much sense. What you have right now certainly accommodates the base game quite well, including the aforementioned sleeves and cars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for starting this thread!

The above replies cover all of the points I was going to share so I'll be brief and simply share my support of NO plastic insert. We're going to outgrow it from pimping our games, sleeving our cards, picking up the next expansion, etc.

Save the money for continued game development and everything else you recently mentioned in the latest Kickstarter post such as thicker components and "Naked Guy"s.

My hunch is that a plastic insert will also extend the production cycle and push the delivery out further as well.

Go cardboard all the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Add me to the spend-your-time-and-money-on-the-game-itself camp. An over-sized box for an expansion would certainly be welcome though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

Things I wish manufacturers would do:

Keep to "standard" size boxes (The Ticket to Ride box size is perfect).

Include tuck boxes for cards. I don't know why no one does this. Maybe it's the sleeve or no sleeve conundrum, but I for one would really appreciate this. I buy Ultra-Pro two piece card boxes for all my games (I hate how bags clutter things up). If there were included tuck boxes it would save me some dough.

Generally, I pitch inserts and go with Plano boxes. You won't be able to please everyone. I would go with an insert that is sufficient to keep the contents of the game safe during shipping like FFG does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quintious .
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like plastic inserts, but if someone told me my game would cost $10 more because of it, I'd scoff. For games I enjoy (PP included), I Plano box the contents, anyways.

The most important thing for me w/ games that have expansions is the ability to put all of the contents in one game box. I absolutely hate having to have 2-6 boxes for a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for a usable plastic insert. whistle

There are what, nearly 600 backers, so I hardly think you have a sample, in this thread, from which you can draw reliable conclusions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fortney
United States
Evansville
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No insert needed! I had no problem fitting my banded cards and baggies-o'-components in the first edition box. If you have other things that need your attention, this should be at the bottom of the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like most of my games, your plastic insert will be in the trash soon after arrival.

So scrap the insert and...
1. Reduce the price of the game.
2. Give us a little something else for our money.
3. Make a bigger profit. I'm buying either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely in the don't waste money on the insert. If you want, I can send you a large box of them that I no longer use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a first edition backer, I would have no interest in an insert, but more so a much deeper box. Maybe an expansion down the road could include a box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Common Man Games wrote:
Wait...

One final thought, which is...

We are considering releasing a BIG BOX EXPANSION, which could house all sorts of expansions.

Thus, a serious fan might carry around Police Precinct, AND "Season Two"

Which could be a box that is just as big, if not bigger, than the base game.

Oh, I missed this post

DEFINITELY YES

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian van Loenen
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree with NO INSERT. Reasons already mentioned:
- I Like to put all expansions in the main box
- I like to pimp this game (cars, etc)
- I sleeve the cards
- I like to add a component box for all tokens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gregory
Australia
Mount Nelson
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Kuringen
flag msg tools
There are only two truths in the world: men are smarter than women and the earth is flat!
badge
"Ahhhhgr!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Insert 0 : 1 Bigger box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone!!!

Yesterday was such a crazy day for me personally that I have not had a chance to even read everyone's posts yet.

(I played in two hockey games, and watched my Broncos beat those Pesky Pats!)

But...

I just wanted to throw out a quick idea off the top of my head...

Maybe we could reverse the order of the two Stretch Goals currently listed.

This would mean that Naked Dude would be pretty much a guaranteed thing, and...

It would buy us a little more time to debate this topic and possibly make adjustments if that seemed like a good idea for all.

Thoughts?

PS - I do think that a poll could help determine how people feel about some of this stuff in a more democratic/statistical way, so that might be coming soon (maybe later today).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Common Man Games wrote:
Hey everyone!!!

Yesterday was such a crazy day for me personally that I have not had a chance to even read everyone's posts yet.

(I played in two hockey games, and watched my Broncos beat those Pesky Pats!)

But...

I just wanted to throw out a quick idea off the top of my head...

Maybe we could reverse the order of the two Stretch Goals currently listed.

This would mean that Naked Dude would be pretty much a guaranteed thing, and...

It would buy us a little more time to debate this topic and possibly make adjustments if that seemed like a good idea for all.

Thoughts?

PS - I do think that a poll could help determine how people feel about some of this stuff in a more democratic/statistical way, so that might be coming soon (maybe later today).

Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.