Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Sails of Glory» Forums » Rules

Subject: Timing of Boarding for Advanced rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Finamore
United States
Wayne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The additional rules for boarding in Advanced rules adds some confusion on the timing for boarding actions.

On p. 37 it says boarding declarations are made before placing maneuver cards in the Planning phase. Grapples and the ability to board are determined at that time.

On p. 38, the rules state that boarding attacks are resolved at the end of the Combat phase.

On p. 39, the rules state that if using the Advanced rules, "Attempts to board and grapple opposing ships are done at the end of the Planning phase, after actions are revealed.

Based on the rules as written, I am assuming the following:

1. The p. 39 rules should state "at the end of the Action phase", since that is the phase in which actions are revealed.

2. At the end of the Action phase, you are only determining grapples and boarding declarations (just like in the Declaring a Boarding section on p.37, except boarding needs to be planned).

3. Boarding Attacks are still resolved at the end of the Combat phase.

Does this make sense?

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense to me whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zarathud wrote:
The additional rules for boarding in Advanced rules adds some confusion on the timing for boarding actions.


It sure does. I've wrestled with this text before, and came to different conclusions, but I understand your thinking. Here's how I processed it:

Quote:
On p. 37 it says boarding declarations are made before placing maneuver cards in the Planning phase. Grapples and the ability to board are determined at that time.

On p. 38, the rules state that boarding attacks are resolved at the end of the Combat phase.


These apply to the basic and standard rules, but I read this as being overruled by page 39 (which you quoted): "Grappling and boarding are resolved in the same way as in the Basic and Standard Rules, with the following exceptions: Attempts to board and grapple opposing ships are done at the end of the Planning phase, after actions are revealed."

Quote:
Based on the rules as written, I am assuming the following:

1. The p. 39 rules should state "at the end of the Action phase", since that is the phase in which actions are revealed.


Probably; it's possible the boarding section was written during a stage in the design process when actions were revealed at the end of the planning phase, and then executed during the action phase.

Quote:
2. At the end of the Action phase, you are only determining grapples and boarding declarations (just like in the Declaring a Boarding section on p.37, except boarding needs to be planned).

3. Boarding Attacks are still resolved at the end of the Combat phase.


It seems possible, even likely. But I had taken "Attempts to board and grapple opposing ships are done at the end of the Planning phase, after actions are revealed" at face value (meaning boarding is resolve BEFORE the combat phase).

Personally, I think I would prefer to resolve boarding before the combat phase--otherwise each ship gets two base-to-base combat phases, which seems like a long delay between coming into contact and executing the actual boarding. But I do think your interpretation makes sense; I wish the rules were more specific and clear on this point.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jacobson
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zarathud wrote:

1. The p. 39 rules should state "at the end of the Action phase", since that is the phase in which actions are revealed.

2. At the end of the Action phase, you are only determining grapples and boarding declarations (just like in the Declaring a Boarding section on p.37, except boarding needs to be planned).

3. Boarding Attacks are still resolved at the end of the Combat phase.



That is correct.

The rules say (p.39) "Grappling and boarding are resolved in the same way as in the Basic and Standard Rules, with the following exceptions." When it is resolved is not changed by the exceptions listed - only when it is attempted.

There are only 2 significant changes to Boarding in the Advanced rules:

- You use an Action to declare boarding, rather than picking a counter prior to Planning.

- If only one ship declares boarding, and is successful, it does an extra E counter, and the boarding damage is done alternating instead of simultaneous.

In short: In Standard rules, you Attempt before Planning, in Advanced you Attempt after Planning. In both rules you Resolve after combat.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.