Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Cardgamedb deckbuilder OCTGN export function rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maybe Next Time
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is it me, or has the website removed the OCTGN export option in the last couple of hours? I saved a deck earlier tonight, so it was definitely there. Now it seems like it was erased from existence!

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/netrunner/android-netrun...#

A sign that the end is nigh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Otterson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's also gone for me. And if it stays this way (if it's not just an error or temporary), I take it not as a sign that the end is nigh but that the messiah has come. Bring on the official FFG Netrunner Online!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
I was opposed to how rgg/goko handled the isotopic transition for dominion, but I am honestly very optimistic regarding an official netrunner online. No offense to db0 and the amazing work that he has done, but octgn isn't a great way to play netrunner.

I can only hope that the removal f this function isn't the start of something that closes octgn and doesn't replace it with something better. Surely they must realize that people will migrate to ther deck builders.

Finally, if an official version is made, I hope they release the game logs to the community for detailed analysis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid Delfeld
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13280-no-l...

"As of last week I was told by FFG to remove all the online play support from the deckbuilders. I don't really have any other information beyond that." -Darksbane

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth netrunner.meteor.com still has octgn export.

Closing it on cardgamedb may just be FFG trying to protect its stuff? Perhaps it is pointing to a less exciting thing than new online play...NO online play???

I dunno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not get my hopes up.

If that were the case, they would have removed the option only from Netrunner, but the option is out for all games. Also, FFG has a history of sending cease and desist letters to people implementing their card games (for example, to an implementation of Game of Thrones on ipad).

They might be producing an online version of Netrunner, but sadly I doubt it is coming soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can still create decks directly in octgn though just a bit fussier
use cardgamedb print the list and then physically input to oct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Submitted decks can still be exported to OCTGN... Same is true for netrunnerdb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maybe Next Time
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not to post the same thing 3 times in 3 different places, BUT - this and any other limiting move to online play will only hurt FFG's income by reducing the number of online gamers that are introduced to the game and like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Submitted decks can still be exported to OCTGN... Same is true for netrunnerdb.

How does one get to submitted decks easily? All I see is that green button.... Which then does what, exactly?

This is quite a huge chore, migrating deckbuilder. Meh.

And no I wouldn't keep hopes up for FFG's official online ANR. Not at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/netrunner/android-netrun...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So once you're done making your deck, you submit it, and then wade your way to the submitted decks bit, and go looking for your own deck in a sea of decks?

Wow. I think migration is necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically. Though it takes a couple of hours for the deck to show up in the submitted decks. I bet soon we won't even be able to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just about to say, this looks like an oversight, and Darksbane will be disabling it when he remembers that this functionality exist. Probably 99% of people download their own decks from the deckbuilder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodigee wrote:
http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13280-no-l...

"As of last week I was told by FFG to remove all the online play support from the deckbuilders. I don't really have any other information beyond that." -Darksbane

Based on the above - i would assume that the ability to export to OCTGN from submitted decks is an oversight that will be rectified now that folks have pointed it out.

Of course - there will still be ways to make this work - I'm just surprised that after going to the effort of buying cardgamedb, FFG is going out of their way to make the product less attractive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Captain_Frisk wrote:
I was opposed to how rgg/goko handled the isotopic transition for dominion, but I am honestly very optimistic regarding an official netrunner online.

You were opposed to "Our official game is being released on X Date, please remove your site by that date"? Or were you just opposed to the fact that goko was late and poorly implemented?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
etherial wrote:
Captain_Frisk wrote:
I was opposed to how rgg/goko handled the isotopic transition for dominion, but I am honestly very optimistic regarding an official netrunner online.

You were opposed to "Our official game is being released on X Date, please remove your site by that date"? Or were you just opposed to the fact that goko was late and poorly implemented?

Poorly implemented. I can totally understand the need to remove free competition when you are paying a licensing fee - but to ultimately release a product that is significantly worse (and remains so) than its free alternative is not so great for fan relations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynk Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
netrunnerdb.com

Yay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Submitted decks can still be exported to OCTGN...

Not anymore they can't

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how long it will be before they go after the other deck builders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
stevepop wrote:
I wonder how long it will be before they go after the other deck builders.

Why assume they would? cardgamedb is owned by FFG, the others aren't.

If FFG wanted to shut down their games being played on OCTGN I'd imagine a much more direct route available
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher MacLeod
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I imagine if they were going to target other deck builders they would do so at the same time as CardGameDB. I haven't heard anything from FFG about netrunner.meteor.com.

They probably just don't want their "official" site associated with OCTGN, but the unofficial deck builders can stay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiv6 wrote:
They probably just don't want their "official" site associated with OCTGN, but the unofficial deck builders can stay.

Hope so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And it's back with this note from FFG

Quote:
Fantasy Flight Games is currently reviewing our policy regarding third-party online digital platforms that make use of the intellectual property associated with our products. We are committed to finding a solution that is both good for our player base, while not infringing upon anyone's intellectual rights whether for proprietary or licensed IPs.

We expect our players support the need to protect the intellectual property rights of both FFG and our partners. We have returned the OCTGN export feature to Cardgamedb.com for the time being, as we continue to review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.