Subject: Reading a scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read the first scenario of Day of Days is says how many turns.
But just beneath that number is says US 6 / German 7
What is that for?
I just can find any thing about it in the rules (or have I just missed that part?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fliss
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
Damn fine soldiers, Cottonbalers by God! -- US 7th Infantry Regiment
mbmbmbmbmb
Rene,
Those numbers are provided to give an idea of how large the scenario is, i.e. how many troops on average per side. It is a general rule of thumb though and I've enjoyed the scenarios with fewer or more troops than indicated. The final numbers of troops I usually play with depends more on how I set up the forces within the VP limits.
Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They must have taken that out of the 2.0 rules, as the new scenarios for RD don't have the numbers under the Turn number.

For the DoD series they had those numbers listed under the number of Turns, those numbers were just there to give an idea of how many troops each side may have. The Germans usually had a higher number of troops because there are a lot of low VP Germans soldiers compared to U.S. (and now British).

In reality, those numbers really didn't mean much as at least for me, I often ended up with a different number of troops. So they must have chosen to eliminate that from the scenarios for RD and on, but they are still going to be in the DoD series of scenario books because there's no reason to reprint all those books just for that change.

So basically just ignore those numbers Rene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Steve, at first I thought it was the numbers of cards to be drawn. whistle
Where in the rules does it say what you are telling me (not that I don't believe you, but I have to show it to my opponent).

Thanks Greg, no wonder why I couldn't find anything about it in the rules. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it is in the new rule book. Since they decided to eliminate those numbers for RD scenarios, there was no reason (they thought) to keep that section in the rulebook. Though I suppose they could have left a little bit in there to indicate what they were for, for those getting into SMG via DoD.

As far as what do you tell your opponent, if he doesn't believe you, tell him to show you where in the rules it tells you that those numbers mean how many cards are drawn. Also tell him that the new scenarios for Red Devils don't have those numbers because they have been useless and only confusing people when their number of soldiers didn't match up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it was actually me who thought it was the numbers of cards.
We just ignore them then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
The numbers were a very rough idea of how many soldiers the designers thought would be needed to play the scenario. Obviously, if you have high value/cost soldiers with equipment then you would have fewer troops. The reverse is also true. If you have a lot of 2 point troops, then you might have one or troops more than suggested.

It was just a very rough guide...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.