Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Caskey
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On my first game of CCE we were a little confused when firing through a fence.

The terrain chart entry for a Fence hexside is 1/0.

In the LOS column explanation at the bottom of the terrain chart it states the hindrance "reduces the Targeting roll/FP of same level fire attacks".

So our interpretation of this was that for ordnance targeting roll the effect on the targeting die roll is minus one,but for the FP roll there is no modifier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcaskey11925 wrote:
So our interpretation of this was that for ordnance targeting roll the effect on the targeting die roll is minus one,

Right, since
O20.2.3 Targeting Roll wrote:
Targeting & Hindrances—Targeting Rolls are always modified by any relevant Hindrance along the way [10.3.1].

Quote:
but for the FP roll there is no modifier.

Right, since
O20.3.2 Attack Hindrances wrote:
If the LOS from any non-Ordnance firing piece and the target hex is hindered [10.3], that shot’s FP is reduced by the largest such Hindrance.

(Note that "non-Ordnance" is blue text in the version 1.1 PDF, meaning it was a rule change from the first edition.)

and 10.3.1 also states it explicitly. ("If the Radio/Weapon hits, any subsequent Artillery Impact/Fire Attack Roll will be unaffected by the Hindrance.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caskey
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don’t have the terrain sheet in front of me, but I believe the 1/0 in the LOS column refers to whether the fence is a hexside of either the firer or the target. If it’s a hexside in either case, no hindrance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
AlbertaClipper wrote:
I believe the 1/0 in the LOS column refers to whether the fence is a hexside of either the firer or the target. If it’s a hexside in either case, no hindrance.

Correct. The Terrain Chart explains this with the ** note for that entry on the chart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caskey
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ** note and the 1/O value refer to two different but relayed points in my understanding.

The ** note does what folk have stated and affects units adjacent to a hexside.ie Fence has no effect on targeting roll

The question I had was on the 1/0 value , which has been answered....only affects targeting roll; the ** note if applicable cancels the targeting die roll deduction.

I think I have it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mcaskey11925 wrote:
The question I had was on the 1/0 value , which has been answered....only affects targeting roll.

If you are ONLY talking about ordnance that is correct. The 1/0 value affects the FP for non-ordnance.

I think you have it, but to make sure. In your original post, you state:

mcaskey11925 wrote:
In the LOS column explanation at the bottom of the terrain chart it states the hindrance "reduces the Targeting roll/FP of same level fire attacks".

So our interpretation of this was that for ordnance targeting roll the effect on the targeting die roll is minus one,but for the FP roll there is no modifier.

Which sounds like you thought that the 1/0 was how a fence affected a Targeting Roll (1) and the FP (0) which is not correct.

The 1 is the hindrance which affects the targeting roll for Ordnance and the FP for non-ordance.

However, should the fence be a hexside for the firing or target hex, then the fence has hindrance 0 and that is the affect on the targeting roll for Ordnance and the FP for non-ordance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caskey
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ** note is totally clear to me.

For the situation where target and shooter are not adjacent to a fence hexside I am not so sure anymore.

For the 1\0 I was matching these deductions to the text Targeting Roll/FP.
I.E. Targeting Roll" maps to a deduction of "1" and "FP" maps to a deduction of "0".

Sounds like this is not the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mcaskey11925 wrote:
For the 1\0 I was matching these deductions to the text Targeting Roll/FP.
I.E. Targeting Roll" maps to a deduction of "1" and "FP" maps to a deduction of "0".

Sounds like this is not the case?

That is NOT the case.

If you will bear with me, perhaps it will be instructive to add WALLS to our discussion.

If a LOS between firing hex and target hex crosses a wall, the LOS is blocked (no shot possible). That is indicated by the circle with a slash in it. However, if the wall is on the hexside of either the firing hex or the target hex, the LOS is NOT blocked. That is indicated by the 0 which is explained by the ** note (which applies to the 0 only).

In the case of a fence, the fence doesn't block the shot at all. Instead it adds a hindrance (=1). Hindrance affects the FP of a non-ordance attack by reducing the FP by the amount of Hindrance. For Ordnance weapons, Hindrance affects the targeting roll only. In other words, hindrance makes it harder "to hit" the hex via the targeting roll, but if a hit is achieved, it is at "full FP" as it were.

Again, the 0** indicates that the fence has NO hindrance if it is along the hexside of either the firing hex or the target hex.

I don't know if that helps any, but will be happy to answer any questions to help remove your confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caskey
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification. Now I have it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.