Popular Tags: [View All]
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just need clarification on how the ally combos work.

IE: I have two Blob cards in hand and both have a blob ally combo ability. If I play the first card then the second, do I only get the ability on the second card played or do both abilities trigger once both cards are in play?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Butmac
United States
LA
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both card abilities trigger, regardless of order played.

P.S. Love Legendary, keep up the good work :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kool, thanks for the clarification. And the Kudos..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Green
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Paul Klee, "Tod und Feuer" (1940)
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use both ally abilities. From the rules:

"With the exception of a ship's primary ability (which triggers immediately as the ship is played), players may use the various abilities of their in-play ships and bases at any time during their main phase."

Then -

"On your turn, an ally ability may be used as soon as you have another ship or base of that faction in-play."

So you play one blob ship and its primary ability triggers, then you play the second blob ship and its primary ability triggers, then you can use the ally abilities of both ships at any time for the rest of your main phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Dougherty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
TRK27 wrote:
You can use both ally abilities. From the rules:

"With the exception of a ship's primary ability (which triggers immediately as the ship is played), players may use the various abilities of their in-play ships and bases at any time during their main phase."

Then -

"On your turn, an ally ability may be used as soon as you have another ship or base of that faction in-play."

So you play one blob ship and its primary ability triggers, then you play the second blob ship and its primary ability triggers, then you can use the ally abilities of both ships at any time for the rest of your main phase.

Correct.

Thanks,
Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gobeil
msg tools
One thing I haven't been able to figure out. Let's assume a situation where you have a blob base already played from a previous round. You draw up a hand which has a bunch of starter cards and one blob ship which has a blob ally ability. Does the previously played base trigger the ally ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Chambers

Toledo
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiggfield wrote:
One thing I haven't been able to figure out. Let's assume a situation where you have a blob base already played from a previous round. You draw up a hand which has a bunch of starter cards and one blob ship which has a blob ally ability. Does the previously played base trigger the ally ability?

Yes.

When the blob ship is played, all ally abilities (either on the ship or on the base) are activated and can be performed in any order. There have been 'official' posts here to the effect that the ability is still available even if the card that 'activated' it is scrapped before the ability is used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me put it this way...

If at any time during your turn you've got two or more cards of the same faction in play then that faction's ally abilities are available for the rest of that turn.

In other words, it's the easiest interpretation possible. There is no timing issue, no difference from what order the cards are played.

Same with primary abilities. If the card hits the table, then you get the primary thing, even if that card scraps. So if you play an Explorer and then scrap it, you get both the money and the combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
http://boardgametop10s.com/audio/bg10.xml
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, about the only time you don't get a card's ability is when you scrap it from your hand, before it's played. Otherwise, pretty much every other time you get to do all the basic and ally abilities on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Schoonmaker-Gates
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is another situation where you wouldn't get a card's ally ability, albeit a rare situation:

You play an Imperial Frigate, which has the following abilities
regular ability: 4 attack and opponent discards
Ally ability: 2 attack
Scrap ability: draw a card

You play the imperial frigate, and get the regular ability. You have no other Star Empire (yellow) cards, so you don't get the ally ability. You scrap the card to draw a card, and you draw another Imperial Frigate. You play that, and since you already had an earlier Star Empire card in your turn, you get both the regular and ally ability, so 6 attack and opponent discards a card. You would not get the ally ability from the first Imperial Frigate since it was already scrapped, right? For the turn, you would have 10 attack and 2 opponent discards from just the Imperial Frigates.

Edit: After re-reading my source, I think I misunderstood it, and what I stated above is incorrect. The two cards must be in play at the same time for the ally ability to "trigger".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Saribekov
United States
Staten Island
New York
flag msg tools
mb
railbaron wrote:
Here is another situation where you wouldn't get a card's ally ability, albeit a rare situation:

You play the imperial frigate, and get the regular ability. You have no other Star Empire (yellow) cards, so you don't get the ally ability. You scrap the card to draw a card, and you draw another Imperial Frigate. You play that, and since you already had an earlier Star Empire card in your turn, you get both the regular and ally ability, so 6 attack and opponent discards a card. You would not get the ally ability from the first Imperial Frigate since it was already scrapped, right? For the turn, you would have 10 attack and 2 opponent discards from just the Imperial Frigates.

Could some one please confirm on what is posted above?
That a scrapped ship already in scrap pile still contributes to an "ally" which entered the play after the 1st ship already left the play?

Because official rules read that: "Ally Ability may be used as soon as you have another Ship or Base in play"

If 1st ship was scraped BEFORE 2nd ship entered the play, then its not in play.
If you believe that the rules ASSUME that the fact that since ship WAS in play at some point during current turn, and its "ally" factor was somehow registered and preserved, then one could argue, that now that 2nd ship is in play, the 1st ship, that is already scrapped, can ALSO use its ally ability. Yes, its in a scrap pile, but since it was in play sometime during current turn, all of its abilities should have been preserved for later use.
This may look like a stretch, but logic is the same: if 2nd ship can trigger its ability of something that is no longer there, then why not something that is no longer there, can't trigger its ability of something that is present?

Awaiting your replies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Chaosslayer wrote:
railbaron wrote:

Could some one please confirm on what is posted above?
That a scrapped ship already in scrap pile still contributes to an "ally" which entered the play after the 1st ship already left the play?

Because official rules read that: "Ally Ability may be used as soon as you have another Ship or Base in play"

If 1st ship was scraped BEFORE 2nd ship entered the play, then its not in play.
If you believe that the rules ASSUME that the fact that since ship WAS in play at some point during current turn, and its "ally" factor was somehow registered and preserved, then one could argue, that now that 2nd ship is in play, the 1st ship, that is already scrapped, can ALSO use its ally ability. Yes, its in a scrap pile, but since it was in play sometime during current turn, all of its abilities should have been preserved for later use.
This may look like a stretch, but logic is the same: if 2nd ship can trigger its ability of something that is no longer there, then why not something that is no longer there, can't trigger its ability of something that is present?

Awaiting your replies ;)

I'm no official source but I believe that he won't get the ally ability as the ship has already been scrapped. That's how i play anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play both cards, get the ally abilities, then scrap the card and get the scrap ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Kythrid wrote:
Play both cards, get the ally abilities, then scrap the card and get the scrap ability.

you didn't read the post right ?
he had to scrap the first card to use its ability to draw the second card that would have matched the ally ability in question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jion wrote:
Kythrid wrote:

he had to scrap the first card to use its ability to draw the second card that would have matched the ally ability in question

Wow! That post wasn't up for a minute and you were on it like nothing flat. But you are correct (it's getting late here) so I will change my response to ... Ask yourself this ... when you put the second card in play is the first card in play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Kythrid wrote:
Jion wrote:
Kythrid wrote:

Wow! That post wasn't up for a minute and you were on it like nothing flat. But you are correct (it's getting late here) so I will change my response to ... Ask yourself this ... when you put the second card in play is the first card in play?

yeah its afternoon here at work and i'm wide awake. haha
yeah i would say it isnt in play as well, so i wouldnt accept that in play. when we scrap cards we put them straight into the scrap pile. once there, no redoing of turns. hahaha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Schoonmaker-Gates
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I was wrong above. Here are the sources I think I was looking at.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14366018#14366018

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14423742#14423742

I believe I read this line incorrectly "An card's ally ability becomes triggered once it sees another card of the same faction in play. Even if the card it sees leaves play because of a scrap ability, the ally ability remains triggered and can be used."

So if the two cards are in play at the same time during the turn, their ally ability is triggered, and can be used at any point during the turn, even if one of them leaves play due to the scrap ability. However, to trigger the ally ability, they both have to be in play at the same time.

Edit: Apparently I don't know how to do a fancy link with words instead of the URL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.