Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Michael - your input is invaluable, as always.

Scenario design will indeed be the principal challenge, but I also want to get the very foundations (unit stats, special rules, countermix) correct as well.

Currently as envisioned, the Commonwealth units will share counter types; the differences will show in two places:

1. The overall proportions of elite, 1st line and 2nd line quality sections in each assortment of troops.

For example, in a Canadian company immediately after D-Day, we might see 4 elite sections, 4-5 1st line sections and possibly 1 2nd line section. After the bloodbaths in Normandy and the Netherlands, we might only see 1 elite section, 5-6 1st line and 2-3 2nd line sections.

By contrast, a standard British company during Charnwood might have 7 1st line and 2 2nd line, but if the division or specific parent regiment was known to be particularly effective, some proportion of the sections might be elite. These proportions of elite/1st/2nd would also change as the 21st Army moved through Holland and Northern Germany.

2. The command points available to the player (representing individual initiative and leadership) and operations range (representing tactical/doctrinal flexibility and leadership at the company level) will vary between British, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, Indian and South African units.

So, for example, line British divisions might have slightly fewer command points (Colonial troops were well known for greater degrees of initiative) and a more restrictive operations range by comparison to Australian, Canadian or New Zealander troops.

My main challenge right now in terms of counters and scenario design is how to effectively portray the differences between Colonial troops - Canadian vs. Australian/New Zealand troops. I also know comparatively little about the combat record of South African and Indian units and am doing research on that. I'm curious if any Australians, South Africans or New Zealanders would care to comment on how they think they differed from Canadian troops. I know how all of us "colonials" differed from the UK formations; the trick is how did we differ from each other.

I will definitely be including scenarios which will highlight the impact that Hobart's funnies had on the Sword and Juno beach landings - I will be including the Crocodile and AVRE for example - and I will also include scenarios featuring the Ram/Priest Kangaroos and Wasps.

I have a provisional list of scenarios which are all very different in nature and highlight a wide variety of operations. As you say, the details of specific scenarios will be difficult to balance and playtest, but I'm very confident that the variety of scenarios will be exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you may be chasing shadows trying to define national characteristics, at least insofar as they might be reflected in combat performance. As you note in your own paragraph 1 above, fighting abilities varied a great deal based on circumstances other than nationality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a fair statement. I'm putting that aspect of the module on a side burner (while also soliciting responses in the general wargaming folder), and concentrating on scenario selection and design for now.

Currently the scenarios being envisioned are:

Australian - 6th Australian Infantry Division

Battle of Bardia, Operation Compass
Battle of 42nd Street, Crete

British - 50th (Northumberland) Division

Primosole Bridge, Operation Fustian
Sword Beach, Operation Neptune
Tilly-sur-Seulles, Operation Perch
Veghel, Operation Market Garden

Canadian - 3rd Canadian Infantry Division

Carpiquet Airport, Operation Windsor
Laison River, Falaise Gap, Operation Tractable
Leopold Canal Crossing, Operation Switchback
Rhinelands, Operation Veritable (this one may change)

Indian - 4th Indian Infantry Division

Keren, Eritrea
Monte Cassino

New Zealander - 2nd New Zealand Infantry Division

Malmeme, Battle of Crete
TBD, Battle of Greece or, alternatively, Gothic Line

South African - 1st South African Infantry Division/6th South African Armoured Division

Battle for Mega, Abyssinia
Trasimene/Albert Line, Italy

This is a rough draft outline only and subject to change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mb
A beautiful list...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hard to believe this list first came out over 3 years ago.

Anyhow, I was wondering...

Given that Old Breed will predate Commonwealth, is there even the smallest chance that Commonwealth might include something like, Aussies vs Japanese, Battle of Buna-Gona?

or is that more something for another Battle Pack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mb
Unlikely. It is not the plan at the moment, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Edwards
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Together down the ages we have fought the long defeat.
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine it's just a "typo", but the 50th didn't land at Sword - they were the assault division for Gold. Would love to hear a project update!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |