Patricio Mendez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
"It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching."
mbmbmbmbmb

Just received the game and going through the rules. The card in question states:

Permanent technology: Colony Ship holds Colonies. Once per turn: +1 Colony. When Settling, you may redistribute Colonies in your empire.

My question: Does redistributing happen before or after settling? I can see two possible interpretations:

1) Before settling(e.g. I have two unsettled planets, planet A with one colony on it, and planet B needing one more colony to settle it, so I move the one colony from planet A to planet B and then settle)

2) After settling (e.g. I have planet A with enough colonies to settle it, and planet B with no colonies on it yet. After settling the one planet, I redistributed all the used colonies right into planet B, without them going to the discard pile).

Please let me know. If I say Jaffee three times, will he appear?

Jaffee. Jaffee. JAFFEE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Based only on your post, I would think that you still have to discard the Colonies used to flip (Settle) the planet.

The main advantage of this tech is that you can (essentially) treat played Colony cards like Ships. Store them all on your colony ship, then discard them when you Settle, without having to play them onto the specific planet(s) you wish to Settle in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While there is still a timing question. I'm sure you would not be able to reuse the colonies that settled the planet. The cards would have to be discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blindpanzer wrote:

Just received the game and going through the rules. The card in question states:

Permanent technology: Colony Ship holds Colonies. Once per turn: +1 Colony. When Settling, you may redistribute Colonies in your empire.

My question: Does redistributing happen before or after settling? I can see two possible interpretations:

1) Before settling(e.g. I have two unsettled planets, planet A with one colony on it, and planet B needing one more colony to settle it, so I move the one colony from planet A to planet B and then settle)

2) After settling (e.g. I have planet A with enough colonies to settle it, and planet B with no colonies on it yet. After settling the one planet, I redistributed all the used colonies right into planet B, without them going to the discard pile).

Case #1 is correct. The intent is that you can first redistribute colonies, then Settle a planet. Colonies on a Settled planet still go to the discard pile.

Quote:
Please let me know. If I say Jaffee three times, will he appear?

Jaffee. Jaffee. JAFFEE!

I wouldn't count on it. Also, I don't own a black and white striped suit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patricio Mendez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
"It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching."
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the prompt response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Handler
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
blindpanzer wrote:

Can someone please further clarify a few more things about how this card works? Does +1 colony mean I may play one card with a colony symbol from my hand onto Colony Ship per turn as a free action? Can I play multiple such cards onto it if I am participating in a colonize role, either my own or following another player's?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reldnahkram wrote:
Does +1 colony mean I may play one card with a colony symbol from my hand onto Colony Ship per turn as a free action?

Yes, that's correct.
Quote:
Can I play multiple such cards onto it if I am participating in a colonize role, either my own or following another player's?

Also correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Handler
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Boyd
United Kingdom
Newtownards
County Down
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there's been 1,001 posts on this already, but I'm still trying to get my head around this.

I'd appreciate any clarification.

When using the cards that you've placed on the colony ship, do you remove them all and slide them under the planets you want to colonize? If so, why keep them on the ship in the first place if sliding them under a planet does the same thing? You still have to wait until your next turn to settle it.

EDIT: Further question. How would you trigger 'Settle a Planet' with colonies on Colony Ship? Is it the case you first see how many colonies are needed to settle the planet, and if you have that many cards on Colony Ship, then it's triggered?

Eg. I have a planet that needs 5 colonies (and then 1 extra to settle). I see that my Colony Ship has 5 colonies already on it. I move them all to that planet, and then on my next go settle it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JakersNI wrote:
I know there's been 1,001 posts on this already, but I'm still trying to get my head around this.

I'd appreciate any clarification.

I'll see what I can do!

Quote:
When using the cards that you've placed on the colony ship, do you remove them all and slide them under the planets you want to colonize?

Yes, that's what is meant by "redistribute" - you may move cards tucked under Colony ship and planets around to planets in your empire however you'd like.

Quote:
If so, why keep them on the ship in the first place if sliding them under a planet does the same thing? You still have to wait until your next turn to settle it.

You may keep colonies on the Colony Ship until you decide which planet to colonize, and you may have them there before you survey more planets.

Quote:
EDIT: Further question. How would you trigger 'Settle a Planet' with colonies on Colony Ship? Is it the case you first see how many colonies are needed to settle the planet, and if you have that many cards on Colony Ship, then it's triggered?

You do not trigger "settle a planet" with cards tucked under colony ship. You would need a Colonize action, an Improved colonize action, a colonize role, or something else that says "Settle a planet" to trigger Settling.

Once triggered though, before you actually do the settling, you may redistribute colonies (and therefore settle the planet you want, not necessarily the planet that had colonies on it).

Quote:
Eg. I have a planet that needs 5 colonies (and then 1 extra to settle). I see that my Colony Ship has 5 colonies already on it. I move them all to that planet, and then on my next go settle it?

If you have 5 colonies under Colony Ship, and a planet that requires 5 colonies, then you could use a Settle action to first move the 5 colonies from Colony Ship onto that planet, then settle that planet - flipping it over and placing the 5 colonies into the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Boyd
United Kingdom
Newtownards
County Down
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seth, thanks for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.