Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Through the Desert or Kingdom Builder? (Or other abstract) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Hotep
msg tools
I don't care for abstract games personally, but some in my group enjoy them, so I concluded I wanted to have one on hand.

Ideally handles 3 or more players, plays in an hour or so, and is easy to teach. A scintilla of theme is welcome.

The two mentioned above seem like good candidates. I am probably going to grab Hive for pure 2-player contests. If I had to go with my gut I'd pick Though the Desert; I've always admired Go, the theme is (ironically) not as dry as Kingdom Builder, and the little camels are adorable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Through The Desert has very little to do with Go, just so you know.

It is, however, a great great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More variety in Kingdom Builder, but they are not much alike from my experience. TtD is a lot shorter with a full compliment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Desert is fairly hard to find. I prefer Through the Desert but certainly do not mind Kingdom Builder. If you get Kingdom Builder, I would also get the Crossroads expansion.

May I suggest one other?

I find China scratches the same itch as Kingdom Builder, but I find China to be vastly superior. China, however, needs 3 players minimum (it plays 3 to 5). BUT, Michael Schacht is releasing Han at some point this year which is a reworking of China with a couple of extra ways to score and it actually plays with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
China is indeed a great game. Abstract, but plays in 30 minutes and is lots of fun. Not much variety game to game, however.

Through the desert Is also a very good game, but be warned that it' severe hard on colorblind players, or even anybody else in poor light.

My vote is on kingdom builder. I really enjoy it, and it has variety in spades. Both this and TTD are available on iOS if you have access to one of those devices, so you could try them out inexpensively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 'it's like Go' chestnut still has legs? I would've thought that would have faded by now given the fact that "Through The Desert" has nothing in common with "Go" other than in placing pieces on a board.

It's a good game in its own right, but I'd go with "Kingdom Builder" myself. It plays quickly (15-20 minutes is the norm for two players), the variations in boards, powers, and scoring rules keep it fresh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played both on iOS. I prefer Kingdom Builder. I now own the cardboard version of KB with both expansions. Highly recommended. Replay-ability through the roof.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own or have owned both. I really didn't enjoy Through the Desert, but I'm not particularly an abstract guy. One or two plays was about all I could get out of it. Kingdom Builder, on the other hand, keeps me interested from game to game because the goals, boards, and abilities change every time. Easy to teach. Fun to play. One of my favorite gateway games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Desert is a much better and deeper game. It does resemble Go, as both games are about surrounding territory with your pieces. There are few other games with this mechanic. I found Kingdom Builder to be much less interesting, as the area aspect of Through the Desert is what makes it a superb game. Go with your gut on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy KB and China. And recently I've played Tash Kalar and really enjoyed that as well. It has decent theme, but is abstract at heart. Other fun abstract games are Taluva (beautiful as well) and Tigris & Euphrates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hotep
msg tools
So I tried Through the Desert and Kingdom Builder on iOS and didn't care for either.

I think highly abstract games just aren't my thing. Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Professor Phobos wrote:
So I tried Through the Desert and Kingdom Builder on iOS and didn't care for either.

I think highly abstract games just aren't my thing. Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

To be fair, any game is going to seem even more abstract when played on a computer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Agapow
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
agent easy wrote:
China is indeed a great game. Abstract, but plays in 30 minutes and is lots of fun. Not much variety game to game, however.

Through the desert Is also a very good game, but be warned that it' severe hard on colorblind players, or even anybody else in poor light.

My vote is on kingdom builder. I really enjoy it, and it has variety in spades. Both this and TTD are available on iOS if you have access to one of those devices, so you could try them out inexpensively.

Quoted for truth on all points.

* China: lovely game, but each game is more or less the same

* TTD: the colors are a problem. Even if you don't have colorblindness, taking in the board can be a trial.

* KB: fast, lots of variety, easy to example, easy to buy. It's probably your best choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lajeunesse
France
Ivry-sur-Seine
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
badge
Hihihi... Stop that, I'm ticklish !
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to say that I agree with the comparison Through the Desert / Go. Both are about placing non moving pieces (although in Go they can be captured) to surrounder territory space.
And this similar feeling has been confirmed by a friend of mine who is a licensed go player (and she easily won all her TtD games with us).

They are two different games indeed, but have enough things in common for go players to feel "at home".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend at our monthly meetups that is pretty highly ranked in Go, and he has mentioned that Through the Desert is similar to it.

As for Through the Desert and Kingdom Builder, both are similar to each other. Kingdom Builder has more variety with different board layouts, special abilities, and end game scoring conditions. But you're also drawing cards to determine where to play, so there is randomness involved.

Through the Desert is completely deterministic. The board has some variability in where the different point values and trees end up, but the landscape never changes.

So that's basically the deciding factor - more board variety with luck involved in the gameplay, or less board variety with zero luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.