Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Poll
Which concept sounds more interesting overall?

A. Players capture and control a monster and duel against each other in organized combat. Not pokemon type monters! Dungeon monsters, goblins, etc.. They don't evolve but can be made stronger.

B. Players capture the soul of a monster allowing them to transform into the monster and duel in organized combat.
A
B
      81 answers
Poll created by herogamer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Which sounds cooler??
You may want to change the title to "Poll: Which sounds cooler?" so that people won't think you double-posted your previous post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Which sounds cooler??
Both sound interesting, but I think B is the better of the choices and more original.

Here's the difference, in my opinion:

I would play A.

I want to play B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
thanks for the opinions! This is probably going to spawn many more polls!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
i don't think either sounds terribly interesting without knowing how it's going to be implemented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
mbmbmbmbmb
B would be even cooler if you could combine the souls in interesting unholy ways to make yourself into a chimera demon of weirdness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
i don't think either sounds terribly interesting without knowing how it's going to be implemented.

An adventure game (runebound style) with tons of light strategic combat and character development. Capture the souls of Monsters to transform into during battle. Sound good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
the results of the poll are changing very quickly. I find that interesting! If anyone has an comments as to why they choose either, that would be great! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest rewording question A.

Everyone is going to know the game is inspired by Pokemon. You don't need to rub our faces in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
frumpish wrote:
I suggest rewording question A.

Everyone is going to know the game is inspired by Pokemon. You don't need to rub our faces in it.

Please explain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Players capture and control a monster and duel against each other in organized combat. Not pokemon type monters! Dungeon monsters, goblins, etc.. They don't evolve but can be made stronger.

This is how I read the statement.

This game is just like Pokemon! But you don't catch cute little cartoon monsters, you catch fantasy monsters! And instead of evolving they strengthen! Totally different!

I would also argue that question B is much more clear and concise. I find it much easier to read and to understand what the game system is built around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Killing a monster is one thing - enslaving their soul quite another. I don't like that aspect of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:
Killing a monster is one thing - enslaving their soul quite another. I don't like that aspect of it.

Option A. As Monsters, they are a troublesome to the land. In order to help with that, a way to capture them and use them was devised. The monsters don't duel to the death in battle.

Option B. Think more like Druids. You aren't enslaving the soul of the Monster. Perhaps you use a magical relic that is enchanted with the spirit/soul of the monster, that allows the wielder to shapeshift at will? I haven't worked out all the story aspects of it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
HuggableHamster wrote:
B would be even cooler if you could combine the souls in interesting unholy ways to make yourself into a chimera demon of weirdness

Actually for option B, I was thinking it would be cool to be able to combine creatures to make legendary creatures or something along those lines....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I rather like the darker interpretation of Option (B).

The way I see it, I'm an unholy mage that enslaves the souls of evil beasts (because, as someone with twisted logic, two wrongs make a right) to give myself powers to fight in arbitrary battles that are waged for fun between other dark mages like myself.

But then, I enjoy dark fantasy themes.

And yes, I agree with frumpish about Option (A): it seems like you are trying too hard to make the game sound different from pokemon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here is what I have in mind for option B: Sorry
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
.. it's not exactly "dark". My game group is varied but most of my board game time is spent playing with my family so I lean less on the dark side.

You are a Druid-type character that learns to harness your natural powers passed on from ancestors... (or you study druidry at an academy or something). You learn this because Druids are the guardians of the world and it's the most noble title to join their ranks. You capture the spirit/souls of different beasts (some common animals) using a sort of enchanted relic or totem. At will you can call upon the spirit to mutate into a creature... (ie. spirit of a hyena transforms you into a gnoll). You embark on a journey to become powerful and fulfill tasks required by the Guardians Guild, ultimately to challenge the Guild Leader. Winning earns you a spot in the guild. Each player is competing to be the first one to do so.

Sound good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Capturing the souls of animals is much different from capturing the souls of monsters. Monster implies evil. Animals, not so much.

Since Druids deeply believe in the balance of nature, capturing souls of animals makes no sense (from my view of Druidic beliefs.) In fact, it seems downright against their beliefs.

Now, sharing the souls of animals makes more sense, and is quite a bit lighter (no animals were harmed in the borrowing of this soul.)

As for whether or not I would play it... it doesn't sound all that interesting to me without the evil twist, but the concept isn't exactly fleshed out either. I'd want to know more about how it plays before committing just because of an interesting theme.

Why are you challenging the Guild Leader? Shouldn't fulfilling the tasks already make you an apprentice guild member (thus giving you a spot in the guild?) Or is this guild much more cutthroat than that? Did the current Guild Leader torture animals to get to where they are today? Are you against the leader's choices? policies? politics? Or is it really all about having the most power?

Without knowing more, the gameplay seems to boil down to: bash animal/take soul/get stronger/repeat until you are stronger than all other players. What makes this game unique?

And what is the interaction with the other players? How do fights go? Can you steal other player's animal abilities when you win? Do you lose an animal soul each time you lose? Do you only fight players? Only animals? Or choose to do both?

(Sorry to bombard you with questions, but, as I always say, it's not the strength of the theme, it's how you use it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
All great questions! I'm fleshing out the story now so I'll post what I have as a WIP and see how that goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
And yes, I agree with frumpish about Option (A): it seems like you are trying too hard to make the game sound different from pokemon.

I think it's fine to have a game similar to Pokemon. I'm was trying to point out that the first question is not as clear to read as the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that I would be interested in seeing is how you meld the two halves of the game, and how deep the mechanics go for each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.