Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the English rules (Overview, last sentence):
The player with the most points (from Prizes and Awards) at the end of the game wins!

and(Game End, first sentence):
After the third round, reveal each player’s Award and Prize cards and compare the total number of points (shown in the upper left-hand side corner). The player with the highest score is the winner of the game!

The points you score for your building each round are NOT victory points. The only points that matter when the game is over are the ones on the Award and Prize cards.

The value of your building in a given round might get you an Award (and therefore give you "Victory" points indirectly), but it does not carry over to the next round, nor does it figure in any way in your final score. It does not even break ties.

I hope this clarification helps. If at all possible, I will add a line to that effect in any future editions of the rules, so as to prevent any misunderstanding.

Thank you,

The Designer

(edited for clarity)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hudson
United States
Jonesboro
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Idea for a future version… I know that points are not carried over from round to round but I was wondering if there could be a separate set of cards that could be awarded at the end of the game to those who scored the most points through buildings over the three rounds. Keep score of what each person scored on their buildings throughout all three rounds. Does that make sense? It could give you another incentive to go for high points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other useful clarifications regard the prizes (skyscraper, structural integrity, geometer's, and materials).

If more than one player qualifies for one of these prizes, the prize card is chosen based on the materials in-demand.

Common misconceptions that are not true:

1. If more than one player qualifies for the skyscraper prize, the prize will go to one whose building is tallest (e.g., height 6 instead of just 5).
Real rule: the relative height among buildings with heights of 5 or more doesn't matter for this prize.

2. If more than one player qualifies for the structural integrity prize, the prize will go to one whose building has the most dice with an identical value (e.g., 5 or 6 dice instead of just 4).
Real rule: the number of dice with an identical value doesn't matter (as long as there are at least 4) doesn't matter for this prize.

3. If more than one player qualifies for the materials prize, the prize will go to one whose building has the most dice of the same color (e.g., 6 dice instead of just 5).
Real rule: the number of dice of the same color doesn't matter (as long as there are at least 5) doesn't matter for this prize.

4. When using in-demand material to determine which building wins a prize (if more than one qualifies), consider only the dice that qualified the building (e.g., the dice with an identical value for the structural integrity prize.
Real rule: consider all six dice in your building in determining how many in-demand materials you have.

Here is an example. Suppose that Alice's building has six green dice. Suppose that Bob's building has four black dice and two clear dice. Both buildings qualify for the materials prize. If the first in-demand material is clear, Bob wins the materials prize because his building has two clear dice (breaking the tie) and Alice's has none. The fact that Alice's building has more dice of the same color than Bob's is not relevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmyhudson wrote:
Idea for a future version… I know that points are not carried over from round to round but I was wondering if there could be a separate set of cards that could be awarded at the end of the game to those who scored the most points through buildings over the three rounds. Keep score of what each person scored on their buildings throughout all three rounds. Does that make sense? It could give you another incentive to go for high points.

I believe that the game wasn't designed to have an incentive for high points. The game is designed to give you an incentive for points just high enough to beat your opponents.

Part of the game is figuring out when you have enough points and devoting the rest of your effort to winning prizes. For example, maybe you got some big clear dice early on. You decide that your score is good enough and that you can sacrifice 6 points, abandon your blueprint, and try for one more more of the prizes (which might give you more points than the awards).

Alternatively, maybe you know that an opponent has taken 4 greens and can't be caught. You might choose to forget about points and try to make up by winning prizes.

If you could carry over buildings' points across rounds until the end (when they counted towards victory), it would diminish the value of the prizes, as a player might tend to neglect them, favoring instead high-scoring buildings even when he knew he was well ahead of his opponents (or trying to score more points even if he knew he couldn't catch up).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hudson
United States
Jonesboro
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
If you could carry over buildings' points across rounds until the end (when they counted towards victory), it would diminish the value of the prizes, as a player might tend to neglect them, favoring instead high-scoring buildings even when he knew he was well ahead of his opponents (or trying to score more points even if he knew he couldn't catch up).

I certainly didn't mean to hijack the post and make it something other than the OP but I don't agree that it would diminish prizes as much as it would just create another strategy for winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received this today, and was playing a test game earlier. I got to the bit in the rules about resetting your points after the round, and thought "whhaaaaa???".

I thought I had it figured right, and this thread confirms it ;-)

I can see a lot of people just continuing on - you'll know them by the posts they make when they talk about scores of 60+...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark De Lorenzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played a 4 player game

Player 1 = 9
Player 2 = 7
Player 3 = 5
Player 4 = 4

So you can see, not extremely high points when you calculate them properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this for the first time yesterday...and we played it the wrong way. Thanks for this thread! I'm looking forward to playing correctly now... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Cummins
United States
OVERLAND PARK
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought and played this a few times and really didn't like it, but I've been playing it completely wrong! This one's coming off my "for trade" list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Barkuş
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I teach the game I am careful to say "building points" and "victory points", and point out that a high-scoring building is one way to get victory points, but not the only way (or even the most important way). This advice seems to work well, since newbies usually manage to beat me by scoring lots of prizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Chapman
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the score tracker is reset each round in this case, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Tourigny
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly right. You keep the cards (worth VP) but reset the scores (not worth VP).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.