William Lam
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
I have got my Zman version Base game, just want to know that if the Portal Version is compatible with the Zman Base game, as I see many are discussing here for the releasing out of Zman Version, does that imply they are incompatible and hence people are waiting for the Zman expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1036229/compatibility-with-z...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing to note is that there are 14 new Event cards which would be mixed with your existing Event cards. Those may not match 100%, depending which version of the base game you have. There are also 6 "Darwin Events" which can optionally be added.

But everything else in the expansion is exclusive to the expansion, and doesn't need to be integrated with the materials from the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Z-man edition. Since I use sleeves, I carefully cut off a little bit on the sides of the 20 event cards from the expansion, so they fit in the same sleeves, and it's easy to shuffle with the base game cards. The backs of the cards are also slightly different. The ones from the expansion have slightly bigger flags, and the green color is slightly more olive (the color is about the same as the start events in the base game). I don't think this matters too much, but the optimal solution would be to use sleeves with colored backs.

Other cards in the expansion, I will just use bigger sleeves for, if I will sleeve them at all. I only sleeve to make make shuffling easier, especially decks that must be shuffled often.

If Z-man will release the expansion, I would probably wait for that. I didn't, but that's because I didn't know the expansion wasn't from the same publisher as the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lam
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Thanks for all of your reply! Seems I better wait for the release of Zman version

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
williamlam4god wrote:
Thanks for all of your reply! Seems I better wait for the release of Zman version

Maybe there won't be a Z-Man Games edition. Portal Games announced, 30 Dec 2013, that it now has a US distributor [ACD] and won't need a US publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Butler
United States
Glen Burnie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
williamlam4god wrote:

Maybe there won't be a Z-Man Games edition. Portal Games announced, 30 Dec 2013, that it now has a US distributor [ACD] and won't need a US publisher.

With that being said, Alliance Games currently has a place holder in their system for a Z-Man Games version of this, so I imagine we'll see one eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
williamlam4god wrote:

I seriously hope this is not the case. I'd rather the expansion actually be compatible with my version rather than having to take exacto knives to the cards and sleeve everything...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fastlane wrote:
I seriously hope this is not the case. I'd rather the expansion actually be compatible with my version rather than having to take exacto knives to the cards and sleeve everything...

I'm not a fan of sleeves myself, but I use it when a game has small decks that's supposed to be shuffled a lot. That's why I use it for the event deck, and cards that need to be shuffled into the event deck. Without sleeves I find myself becoming so careful when shuffling, with sleeves I can just give the cards a quick shuffle without worrying. Anyway, this made it easier to accept the Portal version of the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groot
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fastlane wrote:
Aging One wrote:
williamlam4god wrote:

I'll note that Ignacy confirmed on twitter than zman will be coming out with a version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks david Groot for pointing that out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The portal expansion is comparable with the ZMan game if you sleeve the cards. This is necessary as some cards that will need to be added to decks are slightly different sizes.

it's not a big deal. If you want the game to last, you'll be sleeving the cards anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert S
United Kingdom
Dundee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used USA chimera premium sleeves from mayday games (57.5x89). Works fine for both Portal and Z-man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.