Spencer Kellis
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up Gonzaga this time. Here are some podcasts that swayed me:

Skip to about 37:00
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepodcastepisode/6162/garret...

Go to 8:15
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepodcastepisode/83142/this-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone sell me on Travel Blog? It's Vlaada, so I'm intrigued, but it's not rated very high on The Geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kozmik Pariah
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I seem to read lot of things that are good about Perry Rhodan, but I am curious is it English, or do I need a translation kit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kozmik_Pariah wrote:
I seem to read lot of things that are good about Perry Rhodan, but I am curious is it English, or do I need a translation kit?

It's English. I bought one from Tanga a few months ago but haven't played it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Powell
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kozmik_Pariah wrote:

English. I've put in 3 plays with my wife. We've enjoyed it quite a bit, very simple pick up and deliver game. Well worth 10 bucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and really enjoy both Travel Blog and Perry Rhodan. Enough support here for Perry, so on to Travel Blog.

Travel Blog is like the reverse of a "10 Days In..." game. You are trying to make routes to countries that are somewhat close, but not touching (thematically, you're a travel blogger trying to bring back stories to your editor on a limited budget. E.g. I start in Colorado, but my editor doesn't have the money to send me to NY. However, we do have the money to go somewhere a bit more interesting/exotic than neighboring Wyoming). Some knowledge of geography is rewarded, but I have also seen young players do well.

Another fun element are those, "Oh, I was horribly wrong about where that country was" moments. I like that element in Wits and Wagers, too: "You mean the moon isn't 4 billion miles away from Earth?" That laughter brings a fun social element to the game, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like Travel Blog.

I like the idea of comparing it to 10 Days... because, like 10 Days, there is some educational benefit, but it is really marginal because the game play is first.

It isn't exactly a children's game, but it isn't Space Alert or Galaxy Trucker either. It does fall nicely into the family realm.

And that is why the rating is low. As wonderful as BGG is, people have no perspective of family and kids games (unless of course they cross over into the hobby realm)... So, I usually add at least 1 point to the score that is in BGG, when deciding to buy... as long as I am buying for my family...

I rated it a 7.7, and I think that rating stands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Bombay is back in stock (it was missing from the last free shipping promo), and I highly recommend that as a family game. Also chiming in with my usual support for Gonzaga and Perry Rhodan.

Anyone who gets Perry Rhodan...check out the amazing supplements made by ScottE at Scott's Perry Rhodan Gameboard. They're easy to make as custom pieces go and really add to the feel and play of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha P

Michigan
msg tools
I can't decide which one to buy. Which of the Tanga games is good for beginner gamers? We have ticket to ride, dominion, carcassone. I need two players for just husband and myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
furtherbum wrote:

Travel Blog is like the reverse of a "10 Days In..." game. You are trying to make routes to countries that are somewhat close, but not touching (thematically, you're a travel blogger trying to bring back stories to your editor on a limited budget. E.g. I start in Colorado, but my editor doesn't have the money to send me to NY. However, we do have the money to go somewhere a bit more interesting/exotic than neighboring Wyoming). Some knowledge of geography is rewarded, but I have also seen young players do well.

Another fun element are those, "Oh, I was horribly wrong about where that country was" moments. I like that element in Wits and Wagers, too: "You mean the moon isn't 4 billion miles away from Earth?" That laughter brings a fun social element to the game, too.

Thank you,I just put in an order for it. We like 10 Days, though we picked up a copy of the USA version from a thrift store, so $3 is hard to argue against. I don't tend to let it hit the table for my big gamer friends, but I like something with a little meat for when I visit family and my parents and younger siblings want to play one of our cool games. For $9, I think this'll hit the spot just right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think I might jump on Gonzaga this time -- not too sure why now...but I got paypal money and that's not real money to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Goldmom wrote:
I can't decide which one to buy. Which of the Tanga games is good for beginner gamers? We have ticket to ride, dominion, carcassone. I need two players for just husband and myself.

I'd go with Perry Rhodan if you feel like trying something new and specifically designed for two players.

Gonzaga is a little hard to figure out at first (although the actual gameplay is simple once you get it) and Perry Rhodan is...a little sci-fi nerdy so you'll need to be OK with that. Both Perry and Bombay are pick up and deliver games - Perry is more streamlined and Bombay is more dynamic. If you think you might play with more than two I'd say Bombay though. It gets better with more people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
Bombay is back in stock...

Good game, with some great components. Just beware the stinky elephants!

The FUMES!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:

The FUMES!

Were yours stinky? Ours were fine, but maybe they had some time to air out since it took Tanga weeks to actually get that game to me. Their shipping is...erratic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Early
United States
Wilmington
DE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
... Perry Rhodan is...a little sci-fi nerdy so you'll need to be OK with that.

Spaceships are like butter. They make everything better. Although, maybe if you buttered the elephants in Bombay... No, I'm going to stick with an endorsement of Perry Rhodan.

I like Gonzaga a lot, too, but people with subpar visuospatial capabilities probably won't. I've seen them get frustrated and start slamming their piece on the map in various configurations, grunt exasperatedly, and finally toss it to the Church pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
Misterboy wrote:
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:

The FUMES!

Were yours stinky? Ours were fine, but maybe they had some time to air out since it took Tanga weeks to actually get that game to me. Their shipping is...erratic.

Lots of reports of a strong plastic or chemical smell. My copy came from Tanga and although it stinks, it's not unbearably bad like some people have experienced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magestorm is $14.99 shipped, artwork looks awesome, but I don't know much
about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
Misterboy wrote:
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:

The FUMES!

Definitely stinky. Lots of off-gassing of VOCs. It's not a deal breaker, but it is quite a lot stinkier than one might expect.

I should try a alcohol bath to see if that makes it better. Setting the pieces in the sun for a day helped, but they continue to be off putting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:

Definitely stinky. Lots of off-gassing of VOCs. It's not a deal breaker, but it is quite a lot stinkier than one might expect.

I should try a alcohol bath to see if that makes it better. Setting the pieces in the sun for a day helped, but they continue to be off putting.

Guess I got lucky then! You might also try alcohol ingestion until you don't care what the pieces smell like any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Freeze
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There has to be $10 of fun in Gonzaga, right?

Order placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up on this. I've been waiting for one of these deals for a while!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Durante
Canada
Etobicoke
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!! Picked up Gonzaga. Glad to have a U.S buddy that visits every month or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...game pleasure in wood
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely no chemical smell whatsoever in my copy.

Good game, that despite the rulebook technical errors (usage of orange vs. yellow side of tokens, inconsistent use of "palace" vs. "palace tokens") and the slow nature of movement (very thematic for elephants!), and very few turns to accomplish anything (no one I've played with even comes close to the designer's proclaimed "good" score of 35 points), difficult to see design of board and elements (although great artwork), and the annoyingly fiddly setup....

...BOMBAY GETS PLAYED AND ENJOYED OVER AND OVER AGAIN IN MY HOUSE!

(But still not as much as Portobello Market, which is an AWESOME game, all things considered. $15.99 shipped is a very fair price for this underrated gem...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kozmik Pariah
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
powellmark wrote:
Kozmik_Pariah wrote:

English. I've put in 3 plays with my wife. We've enjoyed it quite a bit, very simple pick up and deliver game. Well worth 10 bucks.

Thanks to both of you who answered!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.