Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blake Lagasse
United States
Derry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am getting together with a friend this Thursday and with his roommate, both who are interested in board games. I think getting through rules will be simple enough with them, but I have combed through my collection for fitting board games, I'd like to whittle the list down a little further. I am probably going to bring 2 canvas bags worth of games so there are kind of options in each category. If you think something should be left off for some reason, let me know. I believe they can think abstractly about rules and mechanics pretty well (they've both had D&D experiences). I know themes pretty wide open as they are open to fantasy and sci-fi but one has a real distaste for zombie themed items.

Longer Games
-Betrayal at House on the Hill
-Letters from Whitechapel
-Small World

Mid-Length Games
-Elder Sign
-Flash Point: Fire Rescue
-Pandemic
-Carcassonne

Shorter Games
-Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game
-Escape: The Curse of the Temple
-Forbidden Island
-King of Tokyo
-Unspeakable Words
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba W
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one co-op would be enough for them to try, the other cooperative games can be left off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take out Letters from Whitechapel and choose one cooperative game out of Pandemic/Flash Point/Forbidden Island.

I see you have RftG, why don't you bring it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Lagasse
United States
Derry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a bad point, I think they could get the iconography of RftG, I was a little worried about it feeling like solitaire but playing together, but since I got the first expansion the addition of goals helps with that issue.

I may just bring Pandemic, that's one of the first I played out of the cooperative category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevyn Hey
United States
Alfred
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, Betrayal at House on the Hill doesn't play so well with 3 people, in my opinion. I'd have to choose to leave that one, as much as I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably say Small World, Pandemic, Escape, and King of Tokyo would be definite choice to bring. Whitechapel and BaHotH probably not so much though since you're playing with three. Forbidden Island also kind of falls into the same category as Pandemic, so I'd probably leave that behind as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World is a longer game? If you say so...

I'd bring Small World, Pandemic, and Race. I would also go for the soft sell on Race or just put it somewhere visible without mentioning it. Small World and Pandemic are pretty safe with new people who actually like board games; if they hate the somewhat ambiguous power symbols in Small World, that's a good reason to not pursue Race. You would be the best judge of the right level of interaction.

I would also not add goals to Race for a while, as they are too much early on. If they complain about a lack of interaction, just tell them that you're playing with a simpler version of the game for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Lagasse
United States
Derry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunna wrote:

I'd bring Small World, Pandemic, and Race. I would also go for the soft sell on Race or just put it somewhere visible without mentioning it. Small World and Pandemic are pretty safe with new people who actually like board games; if they hate the somewhat ambiguous power symbols in Small World, that's a good reason to not pursue Race. You would be the best judge of the right level of interaction.

I would also not add goals to Race for a while, as they are too much early on. If they complain about a lack of interaction, just tell them that you're playing with a simpler version of the game for now.

Yeah anything I'm putting as longer would be like 45 mins to 1 hour. I don't want them to get sick of a game that may go on for a while, saving longer things for another day. Small World I figure hits a sweet spot in there.

I'm thinking it's going to be Small World, Pandemic, Race for the Galaxy, Escape and Carcassonne. I've been wanting to get a play in on Escape and I think it'll be good fun with three people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cordingley
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gratefullyyours wrote:
Stunna wrote:

Yeah anything I'm putting as longer would be like 45 mins to 1 hour. I don't want them to get sick of a game that may go on for a while, saving longer things for another day. Small World I figure hits a sweet spot in there.

I'm thinking it's going to be Small World, Pandemic, Race for the Galaxy, Escape and Carcassonne. I've been wanting to get a play in on Escape and I think it'll be good fun with three people.

I like your list, but maybe (if you have the room) include King of Tokyo too? It just has such a different feel from anything else that you're bringing, it might be a good change of pace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.