Subject: Starting position after gongs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hector Bravado
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I understand that you lose a die if you don't make it back to the central chamber after the first and second gongs. Does that mean you start the next segment of the game light one die in the same spot you finished? Or are you recalled to the central chamber? Since the rules don't directly address it, I'm leaning toward the former. Just wanted to check my assumption against other players' experience. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Woodward
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You start where you were when the gong went off. A common strategy is to ignore the gong and keep eliminating crystals and exploring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Bravado
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Makes sense to me. Thanks for the reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twood1972 wrote:
You start where you were when the gong went off. A common strategy is to ignore the gong and keep eliminating crystals and exploring.

That hasn't been a common strategy for the people with whom I've played the game. Losing a die is EXTREMELY painful, so we try to avoid it at all costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
Common is a subjective term.

If you're doing very well gem-wise and are far from the entrance, it isn't unheard of to just take the loss. However, I wouldn't suggest going into the game planning to lose a die at each gong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Alexander
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a strategy, deliberately losing dice tends to work OK at the beginner's difficulty level. It tends to fail pretty spectacularly as soon as you increase the difficulty, though.

In either case, you're usually much better off figuring out how to pace your exploration so that you can get back at the gong without difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Snow
United States
Millcreek
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
University of Utah - Go Utes!
mbmbmbmbmb
twood1972 wrote:

I think you meant to say that you start wherever you were when the doors shut, not where you were when the gong went off (unless you do not move during the time between the gong and the doors shutting). Example: gong goes off (Oh no! Get back to the start chamber, quick!), you frantically head back, but the dice are not kind to you and the doors shut when you are still two rooms away. At that point, you dicard one die and then start exploring again from the chamber you are now in; the chamber that is two rooms away from the start chamber; the room where you were when you heard that soul-crushing sound of those doors shutting!

And, I'm going to agree with the other post that losing a die makes things very difficult. I generally try to hang onto them at all costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Massengale
United States
Bensenville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
How 'bout them Cowboys?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Late to the party, but I just wanted to clarify: if you're on an Illusion tile when the gong goes off you will be "teleported" back to the starting chamber AND lose a dice. You also may or may not be ridiculed by your fellow adventurers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.