Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I created a "fun" list for an upcoming tournament. I won the last tournament so I decided this time I'd try something off the wall. Winning is not my primary concern, but we all know winning is fun. So how do I maximize my last 4 points?

So this list lets me go anywhere and do anything with Fett which is always fun. The shuttle is just a suicide hitter, allowing me to do at least 2 damage per turn guarenteed. That just sounds like fun. And then 2 TIEs to make sure I have some extra ships as a distraction.

Fett(39)
-Navigator(3)
-Veteran Instincts(1)
Shuttle(21 min, but which one?)
-Darth Vader(3)
-Gunner(5)
2x TIE - Academy Pilot(12 each)

4 points remaining, what do I do?

Upgrade a TIE to Dark Curse? Add something to Fett? Shield Upgrade on Shuttle or Fett? Better pilot for Shuttle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bomb on Fett and up the Academy to Obsidian to annoy those Rookie pilots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
1) engine upgrade on Fett or Shuttle

2) anti pursuit lasers on shuttle, bump TIEs into obsidians

3) bump TIEs into obsidians, seismic charge on Fett
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Duraham wrote:
2) anti pursuit lasers on shuttle, bump TIEs into obsidians

This is my current favorite. Anti-pursuit lasers?!?! This could be the most obnoxious list on earth!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saville
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The most obnoxious list i've played was this.

Scimitar Squadron Pilot + Concussion Missiles + Proton Bombs

Omicron Group Pilot + Darth Vader + Anti-Pursuit Lasers

Academy Pilot
Academy Pilot

Or possibly

Omicron Group Pilot + Darth Vader + Gunner + Anti-Pursuit Lasers

Dark Curse + Stealth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Proximity Mines add some fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remo Galvan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fire-Control System on shuttle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rgalvan wrote:
Fire-Control System on shuttle.

Interesting, this would work well with gunner. Wish I could put FCS on Fett, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kinney

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Honestly, I would consider taking VI off of Fett. That leaves you 5 points for:

1. Proton Bomb on fett. While your opponent is worried about where fett will drop his bomb, your OGP will be pounding away. Plus the bomb and vader both deal face-up cards, so lots of potential of pain.

2. Expert handling and seismic charge on fett. Upgrade 1 AP to an Obsidian. Fettigator with EH is extremely hard to pin down. Plus even more wacky potential of where your charge will drop. Upgrade the AP because you don't want to have init with fettigator.

3. Or possibly EH on Fett and upgrade OGP to Yorr to pull the stress off of him when he does roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvan 1138
msg tools
Engine.

Also drop gunner on the shuttle. Its just giving your enemy 5 points on a ship that is doomed to die. (as a matter of fact you want it to either but your own hand or your enemy wasting shots on it)

With those five points you could get backstabber and an obsidian or night beast and EH on fett. (thanks for letting me put fett on my smart phone's dictionary!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Huhtala
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Expert Handling is awesome on Fettigator for maximum positioning potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fyi, vader does not deal face up cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kinney

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:

Technically true, but if you use Vader to take away a shield, it kind of defeats the purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Option 1:

Boba + VI + Navigator + Seismic
Obsidian x 2
OGP + Darth Vader + Gunner

You can add seismic to Boba. I like seismic the most of the bombs, it's consistent, AoE, and cheap. If you're running Vader, I'd have him shoot last if you can, thus you can apply crits after your other ships have stripped shields. That said, Gunner is a bit of waste imho, the target you're focusing will most likely not have a focus or evade token, and gunner is, as kelvan mentioned, giving your opponent a free 5 pts.

Option 2:

Boba + Push the Limit + Proton Bomb + Navigator
Obsidian x 2
OGP + Darth Vader

You can boost Boba a bit with PtL and Proton Bomb. This gives you a bit more offense on your most defensible ship, which I like. I'm not crazy about PtL on big ships as you're a bit predictable, but navigator will help avoid this. Worst case scenario is if someone is going to block Boba's green maneuver after using PtL then you can always Navigator out of the way. Given the ships you're using, this is my favorite alternative.

Option 3:

Boba + Determination + Navigator + Heavy laser cannon
Obsidian x 2
OGP + Darth Vader

Pretty basic list. I'm not crazy about HLC on Boba as you'll be using your rear arc a lot with Navigator but more dice with your primary isn't a bad thing. I do like Determination on the firespray, as getting a pilot crit (most are VERY bad on named pilots) can be devastating.

Option 4:

Boba + PtL + Navigator + Engine Upgrade + Seismic
Obsidian x 1
Academy x 1
OGP + Darth Vader

This emphasizes Boba's mobility with Engine Upgrade and Navigator. He'll definitely be fun to play as he will be very mobile, and not lose any bite on his attack due to PtL.

Of the 3, again I like option 2. It works Boba's strengths of maneuvering the most with PtL + Navigator while still maintaining good synergy with everything shooting before Vader.
I would consider adding Expert Handling too, as Hothie suggests, this make Boba very unpredictable. My only concern with EH though is that you lose offense when you reposition as you don't have a focus token. Your mobility gains may compensate for this, personal preference I suppose. Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played last night against a beefed up Han. Was interesting but I think it could have gone better.

I went with upgrading to obsidian and adding Anti-Pursuit Lasers.

His list
Han
-Gunner
-Expose
X-Wing - Rookie Pilot
A-Wing - Prototype Pilot
-Concussion missiles
-Stealth Device

I picked apart his X-Wing and A-Wing pretty fast. Vader was key in taking the last hit on each one. Han was concentrating on vader so I used my last 2 hit points to take off a shield and get him out of the way of Fett. Prolly wasnt the best idea but I figured he was dead next anyways (in hindsight, should have just left him there forcing Han to use his next attack up). He took out the TIEs, but at this point Fett was firmly on his 6 and just picked him apart. Fett + Navigator isn't very useful against a Falcon, but it worked out ok.

Gunner and Anti Pursuit Lasers didn't make much of a difference in this game. Thinking of getting rid of them.

Quote:
Boba + Push the Limit + Proton Bomb + Navigator
Obsidian x 2
OGP + Darth Vader

You can boost Boba a bit with PtL and Proton Bomb. This gives you a bit more offense on your most defensible ship, which I like. I'm not crazy about PtL on big ships as you're a bit predictable, but navigator will help avoid this. Worst case scenario is if someone is going to block Boba's green maneuver after using PtL then you can always Navigator out of the way. Given the ships you're using, this is my favorite alternative.

Thinking this is what I'll try for the tournament. I've never used bombs too much so I think it would be fun. Plus PTL would fix my problem of "do I pick target lock or focus???" which plagued me this last game, or would let me have evade to survive a bit longer. Also like option 4. That engine upgrade just sounds sick with Fett, but without time to try it out I think I'm going to pass just because it seems like overkill given Navigator.

Thanks for the advise guys, I'll post some time Saturday or Sunday to let you know how the tournament went!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last tine I played I ran a Vader+gunner shuttle with a mini swarm backing it up against Chewie+rookie+dagger. I made a mistake by having the shuttle shoot at chewie for two turns while the rookie was at range 3 of it- I should have let Vader+gunner take down the X Wing, as it would have allowed the most use of Vader. In my opinion the best use of a Vader+Gunner combo is taking down the hardest to hit ships, and leave the 1 agility for your TIEs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
Last tine I played I ran a Vader+gunner shuttle with a mini swarm backing it up against Chewie+rookie+dagger. I made a mistake by having the shuttle shoot at chewie for two turns while the rookie was at range 3 of it- I should have let Vader+gunner take down the X Wing, as it would have allowed the most use of Vader. In my opinion the best use of a Vader+Gunner combo is taking down the hardest to hit ships, and leave the 1 agility for your TIEs.

I agree somewhat with your assesment. My only modification would be that if you have a ship that has no sheilds that is pretty beefy, sinking a possibly ship crippling crit into it is much more valuable then plinking a pesky naked interceptor or a-wing. A "han shoots first" that suddenly has a PS 0 or "ignore all pilot abilities" or "sorry no actions" is a huge hit to a player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I forget not everyone plays against my friend who builds every squad around Chewie piloting the falcon. I taught you the game, stop beating me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb

Good to know you're getting some practice games in prior to the tourney. This is often just as important as the list as it'll help identify what's strong and what's weak, as you did with Vader + shuttle. It might not seem like much, but yeah, letting your opponent finish off the shuttle, especially if he only has 1 shot a turn via Han might be preferable.

You noticed the gunner wasn't that useful but you were flying vs. rebels, so it won't proc as often. I'd say it might be handy vs. Imps but having a gunner shooting at the END of your firing order is kinda bad. Whatever target you're focus-firing most likely won't have any foci or evade tokens, so again gunner won't proc as often. I prefer gunner on a ship that'll have the first shot every round (i.e. Han or another high PS pilot).

I have considered the downside to running a lone vader on a shuttle is that your 3 dice attacks on your shuttle stall are pretty poor. Rolling dice without a focus or TL sucks, period. I often wonder if Adv Sensors + the hp you keep on the shuttle might be worth more than suicide vader shuttle. Have considered running:

Option 5:
OGP Shuttle + Adv Sensors + Vader
Obsidian TIE x 2
Boba + PtL + Navigator + Seismic

You still get a bomb, and Vader's shuttle will have a much better attack with Adv Sensors providing a focus when he stalls or crashes into your own obsidians. I haven't decided yet. It seems you used Vader very well without much gunner or Adv Sensors' help, especially if he finished off 2 ships via their last hp, that's gotta be satisfying!

As far as option 2 vs 4, yeah the engine upgrade is pretty awesome but having an academy TIE doesn't meld well with Vader. Sure he can be used for blocking but I just would rather have Vader shooting last to ensure those crits take effect as soon in the match as possible. That, and as you mentioned, spending THAT much on maneuverability can be wasted against some builds (3 pts for navigator, 4 pts for engine, 1 pt for boba ability).

Oh sorry for the long rant, but if you're running bombs, don't be too eager to drop them. Sure if he's focusing you then drop it before ya die but PtL with focus + evade should make Boba a good tank. If your opponent is not focus firing Boba, having a bomb in your back pocket can be really useful in simply disrupting your opponents movement decisions in the mid-late game. Very few people will Koigran behind you if you have a proton bomb, that is a great advantage right there.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
Sometimes I forget not everyone plays against my friend who builds every squad around Chewie piloting the falcon. I taught you the game, stop beating me!

A build that involves double B-Wing with HLC smoke Chewie. Give it a shot and teach your friend some variety!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyD144 wrote:
especially if he finished off 2 ships via their last hp, that's gotta be satisfying!

You have no idea. When he rolled just enough evaded to live then I say "yeah....no, he's dead. VADER!!!" Those moments are wonderful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
killerardvark wrote:
JohnnyD144 wrote:
especially if he finished off 2 ships via their last hp, that's gotta be satisfying!

You have no idea. When he rolled just enough evaded to live then I say "yeah....no, he's dead. VADER!!!" Those moments are wonderful.

Haha, being able to mockingly force choke your opponents to death is pretty amazing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvan 1138
msg tools
hothie wrote:
killerardvark wrote:

Technically true, but if you use Vader to take away a shield, it kind of defeats the purpose.

When I fly true Suicicide Vader, I actually do deal the damage to a shield if that's my only option. The point is to try to kill off the shuttle either by Vader Crew or being shot at. It's easier to draw fire if you're lower hp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently the only person in my group of 4 friends I regularly play with who even owned Imperial ships, so I've been trying to carry the glorious flag of the Empire. Since we last played a few of them have picked up a couple Imperial ships.

I do have a pretty nasty Kath+Bomber squad I have specifically to prey on Falcons planned for a tournament Saturday. My only goal is to Alpha any Falcon to pieces then hope the bombers can stay alive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
I'm currently the only person in my group of 4 friends I regularly play with who even owned Imperial ships, so I've been trying to carry the glorious flag of the Empire. Since we last played a few of them have picked up a couple Imperial ships.

I do have a pretty nasty Kath+Bomber squad I have specifically to prey on Falcons planned for a tournament Saturday. My only goal is to Alpha any Falcon to pieces then hope the bombers can stay alive.

Are we in the same tournament?!?!?! This would be an interesting match up for my list. Fett+Navigator is extremely hard to hit with secondary weapons I've found. If you're flying him right you can pretty much pick whatever range you want to attack at. You got Advanced Proton Torpedoes, I'm staying away. You got long range secondaries? I'm getting in close. Kath is always an interesting wildcard. I really like these matchups that really arent made to go against each other. A true test for any list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.