BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 9 year-old daughter: Takenoko or King of Tokyo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This would be a gift for her 10th birthday, which is fast approaching.

Theme: She would love the theme of Takenoko and find it adorable, but might be repelled by the theme and vibe of KoT. This could be a deal-breaker for her, and I'm afraid she'll equate it to a "boy's game." (If you have a young daughter you know what I'm talking about.)

Interaction: She prefers tons of interaction and chaos in her games, which sounds more like KoT to me. She's very high-energy and loves acting and performing, so I'm not sure she would appreciate Takenoko past the look of it. She finds Ticket to Ride boring, for example, even though she seems to win every game we play. I DON'T want to give her another performance-based party game as we have plenty of those, so Telestrations, Say Anything, etc. are a no go.

Length: Anything approaching an hour of gameplay (like TtR) and she'd rather move on to something else, even if she's winning. So 30-45 minutes is about the max for her.

I think I have it narrowed down to these two games, but any other suggestions based on the above are appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo does have a pink cyber bunny... It also has a panda if you get the expansion.

Takenoko looks very cute, but probably isn't as much fun as KoT, especially if she is into chaos and all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of the games mentioned sound like winners.

There's more of a game to Takenoko, though luck remains significant - all in all an adult is more likely to win than a kid - particularly if the young ones are prone to more thematic or chaotic play.

KoT has the probability of Player Elimination (Generally it's short enough that it isn't hugely significant) and ganging up (or feeling your getting ganged up on). There is a rabbit character that IMO would appeal to the same crowd that like Pandas.

I'd probably go with Takenoko as a gift but look into KoT as a family filler game shortly after.

ninjaed on the Bunny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Petrison
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
Get King of Tokyo and the "Halloween" expansion, which has a rule where you can start off with a costume. She might not like King of Tokyo until she sees the costumes that she can start off with. Give her the Cheerleader, Princess, or Statue of Liberty costume and those will emasculate the boy-ness of the game enough that she would think it was funny.

And if you get the "Halloween" expansion, you may as well purchase "Evolution" as well. The basic game is a good game, but it is much improved with the two expansions, as silly as they may seem.

Takenoko may appeal a bit more in theme, but is a bit more complex as well. Just make sure you, yourself, know the rules very, very well. Watch Wil Wheaton's Tabletop episode of it, as they get through the basic rules that are necessary to enjoy the game.

I personally think King of Tokyo is more fun than Takenoko. Takenoko can take a long while too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
It my estimation, King of Tokyo is needlessly violent for the intended audience. It's a game representation of a japanese take on professional wrestling. I don't think that makes it a male theme necessarily, but I would imagine the game is substantially less enjoyable if you can't get into that theme as the gameplay is consistently infused with that kind of silly chaos, which I'd find annoying if I didn't laugh at it in principle.

Takenoko is warm and thoughtful and tons of fun to play - but you might need to handicap the adults to even the playing field. I'd definitely go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting aside my major dislike of KoT, if you're mostly playing 2 or 3 players then Takenoko for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Austin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an 8-year-old daughter who has enjoyed some games of Takenoko with me, but she's OK with the slow pace.

Would there be any interest in the game Terror in Meeple City?
That's one I've had my eye on. But maybe that's too chaotic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Walters
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 9 year old daughter (as well as a 6yo son, 5yo daughter and 2yo daughter for house dynamics perspective) and we play both games quite a bit. She likes pretty things, but she is anti-princess so it's not the most important thing to her by a mile. She is pretty active/wild but also likes to read a lot, so she is able to sit and focus on things she enjoys and not get too bored. That said, she resists TTR at our house as well because it doesn't keep her interest. I called her and asked her what she thought and these are her thoughts on the two games you mentioned (with my paraphrase):

King of Tokyo:
Likes - the artwork and function of the cards that can be bought, likes the monsters, likes being in Tokyo and attacking everyone else.

Doesn't like - getting knocked out and watching the rest of the game, and when she isn't knocked out she tends to gets bored by the end even though it isn't necessarily a long game. (I've played this game with neices and nephews, too, and past the first game it doesn't seem to hold everyone's interest as much as I thought it would).

Takenoko:

Likes - everything: the art, the pieces, the cards you collect, rolling the weather die and having potentially different options for actions on each turn. Likes the suspense of drawing new plot tiles and seeing how other people accidentally help your objectives. She said that there is nothing about the game she doesn't like, and that she never gets bored becaused turns go quick enough and there is enough action on the table affecting her choices that she likes to watch what others do. She also said this is the one game she doesn't mind losing because it's fun to play the whole time we're playing, even if it is clear she is behind on points.

Hope that helps - good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 2 or 3, no question Takenoko is far better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Between Takenoko and King of Tokyo, I'd probably go with Takenoko for a girl who might be concerned about playing a "boy's game". My daughter who just turned ten loved the panda.

For someone who likes chaos... maybe Galaxy Trucker? The chaos of the ship-building is always a lot of fun, and the games go pretty quick.

Another suggestion would be Escape: Curse of the Temple. Co-op, timed 10-minute game. Lots of chaos and dice rolling for the active kid. Although my daughter actually finds this game a bit too stressful, so YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
Between the two, I would give the advantage to Takenoko. The increased choices over TtR might help, even though it ends up being a similar set collection type game.

My daughter (4) enjoys playing King of Tokyo and prefers the monkey to the bunny.

Have you considered any storytelling based games like Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game or Gloom?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Meyer
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Takenoko it is such a beautiful game especially for kids
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prince Adam The Coward
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
How does this work?
badge
Ah, now I see!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 7 y/o and a 5 y/o and they both play KoT. In their mind there are no boy / girl games. The older one is actually pretty interested in Shogun and was also pissed that we didn't let her play BSG the other night - but that might be because she didn't want to go to bed.

Other suggestions might be:

Tsuro / Tsuro of the Seas: My girls ask about this game a lot, as my brother got it for Christmas and we played it a lot over the holidays.

Flying Carpet: This is a forgotten little gem, with a theme that might suit your daughter.

Fearsome Floors: maybe not a theme she fancies...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SilhouetteLie wrote:
I called her and asked her what she thought

Wow, thanks for doing that! And thanks to your daughter as well...it helps to have her perspective. Great comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Takenoko seems to be highly regarded on BGG...I'm kind of surprised it's not ranked a bit higher .

Most of the time we'll probably be playing 2-3 players, so it sounds like Takenoko has the leg up there. Seems like player elimination in KoT might be an issue as well, especially for kids.

I'll look into some of the other games mentioned: Galaxy Trucker and Tsuro sound like possibilities.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
everett hall
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko

and check out Forbidden Island, so good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyssa McCain
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While my five year old daughter LOVES King of Tokyo, it really sounds to me like Takenoko is the way to go for your daughter when you take into consideration her preferences. It is so fun to play, absolutely lovely to look at, and plays well with 2 or 3.

You can always pick up KoT as a family game some other time. For a gift, I think Takenoko would be very well received.

Happy birthday to your little girl!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Takenoko, but also wanted to add that you don't HAVE to play to the full number of goals if you are worried about the game running long. My 7 year old son and I play Takenoko to 5 goals instead of 9 in the 2 player game because it's just a tad too long the regular way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
karana21 wrote:
Happy birthday to your little girl!

Thanks! I think you're right, KoT feels better suited as a family/party game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis da Ponte Alayza
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Takenoko with my 10y/o daughter, and she loved everything. Can't say the same about KoT. Easy to see why though. Takenoko has a very cute theme, graphics, kind of a relaxing gameplay and its about a Panda! can't beat that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B

Minnesota
msg tools
mb
I have both games and play them with my sons.

I could go into to great length, but i'll keep it simple: Takenoko

KoT lacks its potential when only played with 2 or 3 players. It becomes the game everyone raves about at 4, 5, and 6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I've only played it with 5+ players, and I'd hardly rave about it.

Lots of fun, sure. But ultimately nothing special.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamien wrote:
Takenoko seems to be highly regarded on BGG...I'm kind of surprised it's not ranked a bit higher .

Probably just slips through the net. Too light and lucky for some, too cute for other and too euroish for everyone else.

I wouldn't pay too much need to the ranks - they're really just a bit of fun - any game in the top 1000 will be someones favourite game. Takenoko did win the Golden Geek award for best overall presentation in 2012 and was included in this years gift guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Enns
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would give a 10 year old girl Takenoko over King of Tokyo any day. Heck, I would give any age female Takenoko over King of Tokyo. Like a previous commentor, KoT loses it's novelty after the first couple of plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Thanks for the advice, I've decided to give Takenoko a shot.

Thanks everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.