Hide
11 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition): Shattered Empire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can i Sabotage my OWN actioncard? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristján Karl Kristjánsson
msg tools
As the Clan of Saar i have made an action in a game, taking over a system called Starpoint/Newalbion with my last action of: "In the silence of space" the L1z1x player asks people to sabatoge it, Can i offer to Sabotage my OWN AC with either a Sabotage AC or my Spy(Generals)
in return for his 6TG

Saar would stand to gain 4Resource +2TG thus gaining 6TG -2 resource at the cost of the CC used.

L1z1x would stand to lose 6TG however keep their planets(They have nothing, completely empty, not even Facilities)
Planets worth is 4Resource +1 Green Tech specialty and save them a cost of 1CC wich is 2Resources PLUS they used "Promissary note" to take 4TG from a different player so Tecnicly they stand to lose very little.

But my initial question is CAN i Sabotage my Own AC? ))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Allen
Australia
TERALBA
NSW
flag msg tools
The space left intentionally blank
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about playing sabotage on your own card (possibly yes?) but a more common strategy is to announce to your victim that you are going to play a certain card and they have the option of bribing you not to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
True, however in a Play by forum game it would take too long, and the action has already been made and this is the action i would like to take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
i could argue that as i am playing my own AC(In the silence of space), and the opponent would get a responce, his responce being "not playing an AC" would leave the initiative order "Ended" hence i could not play Sabotage from my hand even if i wanted, However Sacrificing a Spy is not playing an AC, however under the rules of the spy you can sacrifice him at any time to cancel a AC.

also the Xxcha Racial tech to cancel AC would not be able to cancel a Spy sacrifice as if a Sabatoge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Or Would he?

a Spy is used "as if it was a Sabotage AC" so Xxcha COULD cancel a Spy sacrifice.

Also the Spy follows all rules as if it was an AC

nowhere in the rulebook does it state that you can or cant sabotage your OWN ac apart from the initial Initiative order from 1-8 or does it go from 1-8-1-8 and so fourth ? as an open spiral of awesomesauce?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Both the wording of the Sabotage card and the Agent rules say "another player". Therefore, you cannot Sabotage or cancel with an Agent your own Action Card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What does the card text say?
If you have a rule question, it is generally good to make it easy on the rest of us in order to get an answer.

Trying to remember the exact wording on Sabotage Card....I know it says play at any time....but does it say:
1)to cancel another player's AC; or

2)to cancel an AC?

Literal reading of the rules, if it says 1) I would say definitely not. If it says 2) than I would say you could use it on yourself.

Personally, I think I would take the planets, but to each his own. Have you tried contacting the Moderator and seeing if you could withdraw the AC played for 6 TG?
If it was a face-2-face game I would allow that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aruze1989 wrote:
As the Clan of Saar i have made an action in a game, taking over a system called Starpoint/Newalbion with my last action of: "In the silence of space" the L1z1x player asks people to sabatoge it, Can i offer to Sabotage my OWN AC with either a Sabotage AC or my Spy(Generals)
in return for his 6TG

Saar would stand to gain 4Resource +2TG thus gaining 6TG -2 resource at the cost of the CC used.

L1z1x would stand to lose 6TG however keep their planets(They have nothing, completely empty, not even Facilities)
Planets worth is 4Resource +1 Green Tech specialty and save them a cost of 1CC wich is 2Resources PLUS they used "Promissary note" to take 4TG from a different player so Tecnicly they stand to lose very little.

Could you not just offer to move no ships into the system even though ItSoS was played? I don't remember the wording of the card, but it seems to me that playing (and sabotaging) the card would happen before your move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Dulkal wrote:
Aruze1989 wrote:
in return for his 6TG

Could you not just offer to move no ships into the system even though ItSoS was played? I don't remember the wording of the card, but it seems to me that playing (and sabotaging) the card would happen before your move.

I agree with this, this would be the better play even if you can sabotage your own cards (I'd have to read the text, but if it does say "another player" as stated above, which I'm sure it does, then I would say you can't).

When you activate a system, there is nothing forcing you to actually move anything, and if you play In the Silence of Space, you can still just choose to move nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
akinfantryman wrote:
What does the card text say?

It says "another player".

That is perhaps why I posted, just above you, saying it says "another player". What did you think that meant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Armentia
Spain
flag msg tools
Aruze1989 wrote:
Or Would he?

a Spy is used "as if it was a Sabotage AC" so Xxcha COULD cancel a Spy sacrifice.

Also the Spy follows all rules as if it was an AC

nowhere in the rulebook does it state that you can or cant sabotage your OWN ac apart from the initial Initiative order from 1-8 or does it go from 1-8-1-8 and so fourth ? as an open spiral of awesomesauce?

No he wouldn't, it's posted here: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8914487#8914487

In addition:

Text of Sabotage card: "Play: Immediately after another player plays an Action Card"

Text of Agent: "An Agent may be sacrificed at any time to act as a
Sabotage action card. Simply announce the action after another player plays an Action Card."

Finally, the Sabotage card (and the agent acting as such card) does not follow the normal rules of action cards, thus it does not follow the initiative order of playing but it's played any time its "Play" text allows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.