BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game for me and my girlfriend rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colton L
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I've been looking at 2 player (not strictly) board and/or card games that me and my girlfriend would enjoy. She's a fairly light gamer. She does enjoy Settlers of Catan. We've also been playing a bit of rummikub lately. Besides that we've been playing some of the usual card games. We played forbidden island a while back but got bored of that one.

Some of the games I've been looking into closely include:
- Lost Cities
- Asante or Jambo
- Carcassonne
- The Rivals for Catan
- Citadels

I know the games I posted are probably all great choices for 2 players. I would like something a little light on the learning side and highly enjoyable for the both of us.

Does anyone recommend any particular one that's listed or have other recommendations you think would be a better fit?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyssa McCain
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just played it this weekend, I highly recommend Takenoko. It's a beautiful game with a fun theme. There is a nice variety of strategies and plays well with 2-4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Barrett
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is 2 players and went over well with my wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hoy
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend something like Guillotine if the theme appeals to the two of you. It is very light but there are some fun choices to be made in a 2 player game (as you add more players the game becomes far more random).

Pillars of the Earth Duel is an enjoyable but somewhat heavier 2 player game that has a really engaging mechanic for choosing your cards.

Jaipur, Blockus (or Blockus Duo), Dragonheart, and Aton I have had success with with my girlfriend. Of those Blockus is the easiest rule wise but depending on your skill levels could lead to one player dominating most of the games. Dragonheart is also very light on the rules and has enough luck in it to ensure that both parties will win at least some of the time. My only complaint is there isn't much theme to it so if that is important to you, you should probably skip it. Aton has a good bit of strategy to it but should be fairly straight forward after a single play. The only thing that can be a little tricky to get a grasp of is how the scoring will work, otherwise it is just draw 4 cards play 4 cards, and place a few pieces.

Of the games you've listed I think Lost Cities and Carcassonne are fairly safe bets. They aren't any harder to play than Catan. From the descriptions I've read (I have yet to play it) Jambo is probably going to be a bit heavier than you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew S.
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur is relatively easy to learn and involves trading despite being a 2-player game. So if she likes Catan, she may like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colt45az wrote:

- Lost Cities
- Asante or Jambo
- Carcassonne
- The Rivals for Catan
- Citadels

Rivals and Carcassonne will give you about an hour's worth of playing time. For Carcassonne I suggest one or both of these expansions: Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals and Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders. Rivals is good because you can add or eliminate various groups of the cards in the box. You can change the length and complexity of the game in that way.

Lost Cities takes only 15 minutes or so. I haven't played the Asante version, but I know Jambo. It takes about half an hour.

I haven't played Citadels.

My favorites are Carcassonne and The Rivals for Catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur is hard to get at the moment, not sure why!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes it is just my wife and I playing. Lost Cities, Jambo, and Carcassonne, fair bit of play. Carcassonne is probably the game we have played most often over time. Easy to learn and play. Even more replayable with some of the expansions that have been suggested already. Perhaps consider what themes you find more appealing...

A few more games on the lighter side, with varying themes and mechanics, that my wife and I enjoy regularly.

If you are looking for a little more challenge, and if the theme appeals, this is one of our favourite multi-player games that plays very well with only 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Leighty
Germany
Hildrizhausen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I enjoy Cold War: KGB vs. CIA. I wasn't sure she would go for it but she actually really likes it.
[url]
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/24742/cold-war-cia-vs-kgb[/url]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David P
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Battle Line to Lost Cities and I haven't seen it recommended yet, so there you go: check out Battle Line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rivals, Carcassonne and Citadels are all great choice for 2 players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan
Sweden
Mölnlycke
-
flag msg tools
badge
I would also recomend Jaipur. It has been a hit with my girlfriend and is a easy to tech set collection game with bright vibrant colors.

On the opposite side of that I 've also had success with The Castles of Burgundy. A quite dull looking euro with a dice mechanic that seems to be appreciated by my girldfriend. Might be on the heavier side if your looking for something easy.

Glen More is a tile laying game that works really well with two players, even though it uses a dummy player. Might work well if you've tried Carcassonne before ... and liked it.

The animeeples in Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small also seems to be winning concept when it comes to introducing euro style gameplay to friends and family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also support Takenoko and Jaipur, while I would would kick out Carcassonne and Lost Cities from your list.

There has been a comparison between Lost Cities and Jaipur recently, check it out here.

Dominion also plays very well and fast with 2 players and offers a lot of diversity and strategy. This game started the deck-building trend in boardgaming, won the Spiel des Jahres award 2009 and has many optional expansions if you want to take it to the next level.

Are you and your girlfriend up for coop games ?

If so:

A pretty easy to learn, dice-driven and theme-oozing game is Elder Sign. Yes, it may look intimidating with all its pieces, but really is a simple game with very high production quality.

And to name a modern (coop) classic: Pandemic. This is one of the gateways games these days and still one of the very best coop-games.

Both games are as mentioned coop, so there is less pressure learning and playing those games as you have a common goal, helping/advising each other. Plus, they are can be damn exciting. surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colton L
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the great suggestions guys!

Carcassonne or Rivals is sounding like a safe bet. Based just on popularity these are ones I'm leaning a bit more towards. I think if I were to pick one of the two it'd be Carcassonne.

Agricola or Jaipur seem like they might be good ones too.

For some reason I keep looking at Asante and/or Jambo. I like the theme of these ones but haven't really heard much on the game play. Could some one tell me if theres a great deal of strategy on these ones? Some strategy is good but she's not much for full strategy based games.

I might have to end up grabbing a couple.

So, I think Carcassonne is a definite purchase. Second is still up in the air. Maybe I'll just end up getting Carcassonne and an expansion to go along with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colton L
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Kyur wrote:

Are you and your girlfriend up for coop games ?

If so:

A pretty easy to learn, dice-driven and theme-oozing game is Elder Sign. Yes, it may look intimidating with all its pieces, but really is a simple game with very high production quality.

And to name a modern (coop) classic: Pandemic. This is one of the gateways games these days and still one of the very best coop-games.

We've played a few co-op games. Zombicide and Forbidden Island. She's not huge on the co-op ones it seems. She usually doesn't like taking suggestions on moves to make during her turn. Although Elder sign looks pretty awesome...

Also, wanted to ask you why you would knock Carcassonne off the list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation seems a good fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne is fantastic for 2 players, and there are lots of standalone options to try as well. I really like Carcassonne: The Castle which is a strictly 2 player game where you lay down tiles within the confines of a castle wall. It has some interesting twists on basic Carcassonne because you sometimes will take less points in order to score useful bonus tiles from the score track. They're random and can do things like double the score of a road, give you an extra turn, etc.

You can also look into the brand new Carcassonne: South Seas. It's a standalone game with a different scoring mechanic that's pretty interesting.

If you go with basic Carcassonne, I'd recommend adding the Traders & Builders and Inns & Cathedrals expansions, as mentioned above.

My girlfriend likes Carcassonne and Lost Cities quite a bit. She seems to like Jaipur as well, but doesn't request it much.

I LOVE Glen More, but when I played it with my GF, she looked really confused. Afterwards she said she felt the game was too complicated, but is willing to try it again to see if it makes more sense. If I think back to my first game of Glen More, I probably felt the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colt45az wrote:
We've played a few co-op games. Zombicide and Forbidden Island. She's not huge on the co-op ones it seems. She usually doesn't like taking suggestions on moves to make during her turn.

I bought Forbidden Island after Pandemic (both games have the same designer), which was actually a step back as Pandemic is more challenging and feels more "mature". I haven't played Zombicide yet, is it good ?

Coop games sure can have the dilemma of an alpha gamer telling telling everybody what to do but I think if all players are aware of this, it really shouldn't be a problem. Still, I really can understand your girlfriend here - I guess it depends on the players at the table

Colt45az wrote:
Although Elder sign looks pretty awesome...

It is It's one of the games I used to introduce my girlfriend to boardgaming (and also H. P. Lovecraft). To my own surprise, I soon figured out that she actually even likes it a bit better than I do myself

Official trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krMnzY6tGWw
Tabletop showing Elder Sign: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh4nSpV2n4k

It was also our first step into Fantasy Flight's Arkham Files game series devil

Colt45az wrote:

Also, wanted to ask you why you would knock Carcassonne off the list?

I really enjoyed Carcassonne for about one month and played it very often at that time. Then I bought the first two expansion when they came out, and they were really disappointing as they don't really added much to the game and thus seemed fast produced for making a quick buck.

Overall, Carcassonne became very boring very fast, maybe because the mix of shallow theme and too light gameplay eventually broke it for me. There's something about the gameplay itself which always seemed underdeveloped to me... Maybe that's why they released a ton of expansions, giving the game more depth (?) - but I can't make a valid statement on that as I haven't played any expansions after second one. Still, expansions should't be necessary to make the base game enjoyable

This is of course a very personal experience and opinion. Carcassonne is very famous, popular (Spiel des Jahres 2001) and often a gateway title for new players to the hobby, which I am happy and thankful for
...just don't ask me for a round of this game.

Here's the tabletop episode of Carcassonne: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6VpW4Vljr8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis McCarthy
United States
Idelwylde
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the list of games my wife and I play often:

Castle Dice

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords

Legendary

Carcassonne with Inns & Cathedrals

Elder Sign

Chrononauts

King of Tokyo

Ticket To Ride
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bitch slap

The Absolute partygame for2 players.I dont know when it will be released but you and your girlfriend will enjoy it for sure and will have a lot of laughs together.If you find it take it,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Colt45az wrote:

Some of the games I've been looking into closely include:
- Lost Cities
- Asante or Jambo
- Carcassonne
- The Rivals for Catan
- Citadels

I played almost all of those games with my GF
Right now, we are really into The Rivals for Catan. Since you both already know the rules for the regular Catan, I think adjusting for Rivals will go smoothly. But it is mostly just the feeling of similarity (same resources, 3 ore & 2 wheat to build a city), the game itself plays different and I would say that it is heavier than regular Catan. It also feels lengthier than the rest of the games on your list.

Carcassonne is an all-time great that will play up to 5 or even 6 players. Game without expansions feels bland though, I feel that Inns & Cathedrals expansion is needed even though it is not as flashy as other expansions - but among other things it gives every player big meeple that can be strategically placed to gain control over opponent's structures.
We play with Inns & Cathedrals, Traders & Builders, The Princess & the Dragon and with Count, King & Robber without The Count. It still feels easy and light and very enjoyable.
We seldom play (but still do) with Base+Inns & Cathedrals+The Tower - The Tower is just too cutthroat. And doesn't mix well with other expansions.
If you want just one box, I would recommend you green Carcassonne instead. It is not as bland as blue base game w/o other boxes. There is also two player only Carcassonne.

Citadels? Some people hate two player Citadels, it plays vastly different than in 4-5 players. It is much lighter game in 5 players. In 2 it feels like heads-up poker and I loved it, my girlfriend liked it a lot too. But there is a lot of plotting, bluffing, second-guessing, metagaming - your brain will burn a few calories and assassinating your SO is not for everyone whistle

Lost Cities feels lightest of them all. Almost an abstract game, really does not need theme at all. We like it, but if most of what are you playing right now are card games, maybe you want to try something new and daring meeple

Does your GF like Sherlock tv series that is now running on tv? Mine does, what about Mr. Jack or Mr. Jack Pocket? It does not have anything to do with the modern tv series, but it is Sherlock Holmes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colt45az wrote:
Thanks for all the great suggestions guys!

Carcassonne or Rivals is sounding like a safe bet. Based just on popularity these are ones I'm leaning a bit more towards. I think if I were to pick one of the two it'd be Carcassonne.

Agricola or Jaipur seem like they might be good ones too.

For some reason I keep looking at Asante and/or Jambo. I like the theme of these ones but haven't really heard much on the game play. Could some one tell me if theres a great deal of strategy on these ones? Some strategy is good but she's not much for full strategy based games.

I might have to end up grabbing a couple.

So, I think Carcassonne is a definite purchase. Second is still up in the air. Maybe I'll just end up getting Carcassonne and an expansion to go along with it.

I have never played Jambo or Asante, though I'm considering ordering one of them. From what I've read, many people really love Jambo, but you have to be okay with some attacks/take that game play. So if you think you two would enjoy occasionally destroying the other's progress in the game or stealing something from the other player, than I think you should be fine. And honestly, if the theme is calling to you, why not give it a shot? If you already know that style of play wouldn't go over well, you might be better off looking elsewhere.

To offer other suggestions that my boyfriend and I have enjoyed playing together: Seeland, Battle Line, Dominion, Jaipur, Agricola (probably our favorite!)

We own Carcassonne and played once, but it just never seems to get requested. Not to say it isn't a good game...maybe we just need to play it more. I guess you could say it doesn't capture us like some of the others do.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolfman69 wrote:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/116309/bitch-slap

The Absolute partygame for2 players.I dont know when it will be released but you and your girlfriend will enjoy it for sure and will have a lot of laughs together.If you find it take it,

wow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lester
United States
SANTA MONICA
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for TICKET TO RIDE. I like heavier games, but my girlfriend likes lighter ones and this is her favorite.

LOST CITIES is a little too simple for me, but my girlfriend likes this one too.

Personally, I think CARCOSONNE is really boring and don't understand why people like it so much. That being said, I will play the app version every once in a while.

I'd also recommend TARGI. It might be slightly harder to learn but plays very easily once you get the hang of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colton L
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Kyur wrote:
I haven't played Zombicide yet, is it good ?

I love zombicide, personally. I think its a great co-op game. I own the expansion and season 2 and can say it's definitely one of my favorite co-op games I've played so far (but I haven't played pandemic.) The base game is fun but with the contents of the expansion and season 2 all added in with each other I think it adds more strategy and more items to have fun with. I also really like creating my own missions in this game. Very fun. The rulebook is a bit grueling... I found myself looking up a lot of things, but once you got it down it's a pretty fun experience.

Kyur wrote:

It is It's one of the games I used to introduce my girlfriend to boardgaming (and also H. P. Lovecraft). To my own surprise, I soon figured out that she actually even likes it a bit better than I do myself

I'll definitely have to check that one out. Thanks for suggestion.

Thanks for the valuable feedback on Carcassonne as well. I'll definitely take all that into consideration when making my purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.