Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

I'm a new Descent 2.0 player and so is the rest of my game group. I'd like to ask everybody's opinion on how best to enjoy this game. It is obviously through some form of campaign format but there seems to be several variations on how one can go about with this.

I actually have tried to open up the Shadow Rune campaign but with slight tweaks. I thought I could try allowing the switching of heroes in between missions to allow for more variety in between games. I thought I'd just keep track of the total XP gained throughout the campaign and allow any new heroes to claim the skills before the start of each mission.. but I think that may have been a mistake. It led to a lot of mental upkeep and unecessary decision making at the start of missions.

Right before I was about to restart the campaign, my Secret Santa sent me Labyrinth of Ruin and The Trollfens (woot!) So suddenly my options have grown! Now I can consider rumors, side missions, secret rooms, mini campaigns, new heroes, new classes, new OL cards, new monsters.. whoa!

So that's why I'm going to you guys for advice. I am obviously going to throw in the new heroes as part of the choices to run a campaign.. but will stick with a consistent group of 4 heroes, and then just draft a new group of heroes in a new campaign. But I have some questions off the bat:

1) Run the Shadow Rune (long but epic, maybe simpler, might take a while to see the other heroes) or the other campaigns (shorter to finish in entirety, but perhaps an incomplete experience, more variety)?
2) Stick with basic OL deck, or try starting with the other OL base decks?
3) Throw in all of the new stuff?

What else should I be asking? What is the best campaign format to run for a bunch of first timers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I'd evaluate what sort of staying power you and your players have. The full campaigns can be long, which is great if you have a group willing to play it, but it sucks when you get three quests in and everyone has had enough.

If your players are unsure of playing a long-running game (8 quests, i think around 15 encounters) you may want to try running Trollfens as a mini-campaign. I've done that with Lair of the Wyrm with a decent amount of success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil J.
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jake

If you have a number of new players I recommend playing the Shadow Rune campaign in its entirety as designed, use the standard Overlord #1 deck for starters, and include the new heroes, monsters and equipment from your other expansions (for added variety). The game really shines best as a full campaign, but if you are worried that your new players will get overwhelmed with too much "chrome" and/or too long of a campaign I would exclude the mini expansion quests for now.

Just my two cents. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! Those are excellent advice! You are both correct in pointing out I am worried about the staying power of my game group to slog through a campaign. However, I also don't want to compromise the Descent experience by cutting it short. I will consider your suggestions. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Doctor
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify: LoR also includes a full campaign, similiar in length to that of the Shadow Rune, so that's a third option. Although I would consider starting with the Trollfens mini campaign if I was in your place. If the players like it, I would move on to the Shadow Rune, and then Labyrinth of Ruin.

I hope you'll have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
The first campaign we did we allowed for changing heroes in between quests, but you kept your skills and eqpt. It was fun to try many characters and geta feel for how different hero aabilities actually worked. Plus with the conv. Kit we knew we would never use most of them long term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.