Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see more builds posted, so here's a little game: Post an army that you'd use to beat the last posted regiments. Use standard 2 regiment rules, and try to include the number of core sets you'd need for the build. Feel free to elaborate on how and why you'd beat the above regiment. Use https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag7Cn42nFnVJdGp... as a reference if you need to, I added command cards to the 2nd tab.

I'll start with an easy one:

Chaos - 2 core sets

32/33 pts
1x Kairos Fateweaver
1x Bloodthirster
1x Sorcerer of Tzeentch
2x Kurgan Marauders

31/33 pts
1x Valkia the Bloody
1x Bloodthirster
2x Flamers

Command cards:
1x 3 Nurgle's Rot Slow
1x 3 Eager Troops Steady
1x 3 Blood for the Blood God Bold
1x 3 Lure Devious

Pros: Bloodthirsters do their thing with eager troops helping their mobility out. If they start to get dog-piled Valkia the Bloody is great with swift and can join the melee. Kairos and Sorcerers of Tzeech and assassinate with 5 magic damage and nurgles rot if need be. +3 to initiative roll and lots of cheap cannon fodder to help out. Kairos and Lure help keep things empowered as needed, 1 of everything for command cards.

Cons: Pretty slow, might take a few hits getting to melee range.

Not the best build or most well thought out, but post something that would beat it and why. Then beat that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCormley
United States
SD
California
flag msg tools
OUCH!
mbmbmbmbmb
vdaoine wrote:
I'd like to see more builds posted, so here's a little game: Post an army that you'd use to beat the last posted regiments.

Ok...just for fun.

Order - 1 core set

34/33 pts
1x Teclis
1x Sun Dragon (15)
1x Maiden Guard (9)
1x Swordmasters of Hoeth (9)

35 pts
1x Alarielle the Radiant
1x Bolt Thrower (10)
1x Ellyrian Raiders (9)
1x High Mage (7)
1x Swordmasters of Hoeth (9)

Command Cards
Push (3 units/Steady) - Hero: Empower target disk within medium range
Rally (2 units/Slow) - Hero: Remove (activation) from target non-hero disk
Shield of Saphery (3 units/Devious) - Caster: Until end of round, target disk reduces damage d6-1.
Winds of Morai-Heg: (3 units/slow) - Increase maximum Elvish "missile" disk range by 1.

Pros: Say hello to my 'lil friend: "Sun Dragon + Alarrielle + Rally" combo of ultimate destruction. Using Rally, the Dragon pins 3 or 4 disks, perhaps your *entire* second regiment, breathes on itself and does d6 to everything. Alarielle moves up and pulls the wound counter off dragon (if necessary), hits whatever she feels like with her 2 magic and maybe even jumps in on the scrum, since she is 4 damage (swift) on her counter attack. She then uses Rally to pull the activation counter from the Dragon. Dragon flies away (to fight another day) or flips onto whatever looks interesting, or stays right where it is, and breathes again! Melee ensues, and, depending on dice rolls, you can kiss about 4 disks goodbye. The variant on this move is to use the Shield of Saphery on the Dragon (limiting damage) and then use Alarielle + Teclis + Dragon to lay down the hurt.

Cons: Hah! If anything actually survives SARcud (Reg US Pat Off), I'm sure the other 6 disks, along with the remnants of SARcud, will be more than capable of dealing with it.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
These are some scary armies. Although it would be a bloodbath, I think Chaos would win. Chaos has 3 unspent points while the High Elves have only one. Chaos has almost 80% likelihood to start with the Warhammer. The High Elves have an unbalanced hand of cards missing a Bold command card.

The game will be very close but when they arrive at a decisive point, maybe in the beginning of the fourth round, Chaos will only need to play a Steady card to guarantee going first and put the game out of reach for the High Elves.

I guess one can argue that the High Elves can guarantee going second by playing a Slow card and they could certainly play this to their advantage.

Great armies, 2 Bloodthirsters are very scary but you can't mess around a well supported Dragon. Fun. Great work, I wish we could see this battle happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo, what would you field to beat the High Elf army?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCormley
United States
SD
California
flag msg tools
OUCH!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
These are some scary armies. Although it would be a bloodbath, I think Chaos would win. Chaos has 3 unspent points while the High Elves have only one. Chaos has almost 80% likelihood to start with the Warhammer. The High Elves have an unbalanced hand of cards missing a Bold command card.

Good point about the command cards. I hadn't really thought about the distribution. I was unsure if the "Winds of Morai-Heg" was really all that great. It *could* be great if the Bolt Thrower and Maid roll well on the 1st turn, which is when I would definitely play it. But I should probably swap it out for "Speed of Asuryan (3)" which allows my maid Maiden to shoot and move, and gives me a balanced command deck.

Also, (not that I want to turn this into a debate, since that's not the point!) bear in mind that Teclis is immune to arcane damage and the High Mage makes every friendly disk within short range resistant to arcane. That helps a lot against the flamers and, of course, all magic attacks.

Quote:
Great work, I wish we could see this battle happen.

I once played a game of "Flames of War" on a forum. It worked pretty well. I think we could do a play by forum, if people wanted to.

Now, speaking of "Great work..." get to work and post a list that trashes my elves.

Tim

Edit: Fix card name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
armor_11 wrote:
[q="Ronaldo"] Now, speaking of "Great work..." get to work and post a list that trashes my elves.

Tim

I don't think any of these armies can really be trashed. Good points on Teclis and the High Mage. I really like Speed of Asuryan. I would try to beat the Elves at their own game. One core set, I believe.

Alarielle
3 Militia Archers
Sun Dragon

Karl Franz
Helblaster
Knights Panther
Marienburg
Bright Wizard!

Winds of Morai-Heg
Shield of Saphery
Eager Troops
Inspire

I think that even if Tim's army brings Winds, I can out-Siege him. The goal would be to cause complete disarray in his army with strong Siege attacks slowing it down to a crawl and hopefully destroying some of his Dragon's support.

Considering that we can deploy on average 6 disks, I would bring out:
3 Militia Archers
Helblaster
Karl Franz
Alarielle

I have 3 unspent points therefore I am likely to have the Warhammer. I would not open with Winds since I am hoping to get a shot before he does. If I get to shoot first, I would use the Helblaster to shoot at the Bolt Thrower hoping that it will get activated. If the Helblaster wounds itself, Alarielle will heal it. If not, Karl Franz removes the Helblaster's activation giving it to Alarielle and it shoots again. Next turn, Winds and all the Militia Archers fire at Siege range. Total of 12 dice at Siege range. It is likely to at the very least slow his army down. Since I have the Warhammer, Tim may start to get a little uneasy and feel a little rushed. He will still get a shot with the Bolt Thrower because of Rally but not 2. I am hoping that being under heavy fire, and losing the game by not having the hammer, he will come to me and his army will be disorganized as I will likely get disks that he doesn't want activated and possibly destroyed.

Once he comes to my side, I will deal with his Dragon. I should have the upper hand since he is the one under pressure and I have a little better mobility with Eager Troops. Karl Franz probably out-Rallies Tim's Rally. I would plan to get the Panther to pin his Dragon, with Shield of Saphery if necessary. I would then have the Dragon pick his support apart starting with his casters. In addition, my strong Ranged/Siege support keeps hindering his army and the potential for damage increases as his army gets closer.

I think that the decisive point of the game will be his Dragon's approach as my Ranged units will tend to stick together, he could pin a lot of units at once but I am hoping that positioning and playing the Panther, Dragon, Karl Franz and Eager Troops correctly should prevent that from happening.

Diskwars is a highly tactical game and this battle could play very differently depending on Deployment Zones, Objectives but especially Scenario and Terrain available.

That's too much trash talking, already!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:

Diskwars is a highly tactical game and this battle could play very differently depending on Deployment Zones, Objectives but especially Scenario and Terrain available.

I think this highlights how important terrain is - if it were me, I'd drop a large forest right in front of your deployment zone - that hellblaster isn't shooting anything without line of sight! Course you can't count on it, but it's just another layer to the tactics.

Good army, now someone beat it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCormley
United States
SD
California
flag msg tools
OUCH!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
I think that even if Tim's army brings Winds, I can out-Siege him.

It never even occurred to me to bring a mixed force from two different factions. Doh!

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda like the idea of on faction armies, but this could be pretty fearsome. Gonna try to play some of these builds against each other this weekend hopefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.