Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried Cursed Island last weekend.
I see it this way: you must build five crosses, so you need to explore four spaces, which makes five with the beach. If they all have Mystery symbols, the fourth will have a fog marker, the others will be clear. You get one free wood each turn in the Production phase. You have three action pawns (I was playing solo with Friday): you can easily grab an extra wood and build a cross for two woods. There are ten cards in the Event deck, half of them bring more fog to the island, which you can place on the five unexplored spaces: you should be fine, you don't need to worry about the Sacred Bell. Weather is not even a concern before the sixth turn. Yes, you will take some wounds, but so what?
What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Cursed Island: I must be missing something.
I'm not with the game right now, but I think the event
cards add 2 fog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van M.
Netherlands
Tilburg
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dekedagger wrote:
I'm not with the game right now, but I think the event
cards add 2 fog.

That's true.

It sounds so simple, but I never succeed in this scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
With five island tiles, that leaves you with five empty spaces. Which means two cards with book symbols for free. The third "book" card will impact an island tile where there is no fog yet. If they come in rapid succession (and the fourth and fifth quickly afterwards), then you could be in a little trouble.
Trouble can also come from adventure cards you draw (which you will need to do in order to get through your objective quickly). That, and the fact that you will probably not build shelter in order to make it to goal quickly, can do you in.

However, in general, you have just spoilered the scenario for everyone who reads your OP. There is a reason why this scenario is mentioned as "the easiest of the lot".

The scenario is a bit harder with more players, but even then only a bit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I would certainly argue against any claims that this analysis "spoils" the game.

My first play of RC was this scenario, just last week. The four of us obliterated the objective by round six. Two of the three experienced players are BGG (rules forum) addicts and rules sticklers, so I guarantee we did everything by the book.

Nobody told me that this was an "easy" scenario, so I just assumed that this was another easy (and not too interesting) co-OP game. This discussion has inspired me to at least try it again

Good question, OP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While it might help you to give the game another shot, it certainly provides other players with a blueprint on how to succeed in this scenario.

I know that this was done unintentionally by the OP, but would still appreciate it if the OP could mark the Thread itself and the first post accordingly. That way, each user can choose whether or not to read the thread based on the knowledge that it COULD spoiler it for him...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the book events add two fog cubes. Still, unless you are pretty unlucky, you will have time to complete your objective before that is a problem. It seems opposite to Castaways, where I felt like I actually needed luck to make it through.

Also, I'm no expert at the game, and this was the first time I played that particular scenario. I didn't have to think about anything in particular, and the above description presented itself naturally through gameplay, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are, of course, right. And thank you for including the spoiler alert...

However, it is a different approach to the first scenario, in that you have to deliberately do something differently (explore LESS), due to it being better than the other way around.
This will increase gradually throughout following scenarios.

It came naturally to a first-time player I played this scenario with (except #1), too. But still, there are quite a few who have to find their own feet - and WANT to find their own feet. I for one would be really annoyed if anyone handed me the map to scenario 3 (havent won it yet, and I have won every other scenario so far).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prasant Moorthy
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get why this required Spoiler tags unless I'm playing the game incorrectly...

Isn't all the info on the scenario card public knowledge to all the players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, that is true.
But if you follow what the OP stated, basically to the letter, you only lose due to bad luck. Which will happen about 20% of the time, or less...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arnaud roussel
Canada
st Leonard
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Chaz wrote:
I would certainly argue against any claims that this analysis "spoils" the game.

My first play of RC was this scenario, just last week. The four of us obliterated the objective by round six. Two of the three experienced players are BGG (rules forum) addicts and rules sticklers, so I guarantee we did everything by the book.

Nobody told me that this was an "easy" scenario, so I just assumed that this was another easy (and not too interesting) co-OP game. This discussion has inspired me to at least try it again

Good question, OP!

It's by far the easiest one.
Explore, get your food sorted.
Build 5 crosses and a shelter, win.

I probably won't really play this one again. Or only with the variant where you cannot put fog in unexplored tiles. Now it gets more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
acken wrote:
The Chaz wrote:

Good question, OP!

It's by far the easiest one.
Explore, get your food sorted.
Build 5 crosses and a shelter, win.

I probably won't really play this one again. Or only with the variant where you cannot put fog in unexplored tiles. Now it gets more interesting.

we played the fog on explored tiles only rule on our first couple of games (accidentally) and still found the scenario to be significantly easier than scenario 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
femgoth wrote:

we played the fog on explored tiles only rule on our first couple of games (accidentally) and still found the scenario to be significantly easier than scenario 1.

I made the same mistake, and got crushed. I found it much harder than scenario 1, which I beat solo almost every time. But I haven't had a chance to get back to it and try again.

Hard to see how it could be easier than "win almost every time", but that's specifically solo. The first scenario is much harder with more players, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arnaud roussel
Canada
st Leonard
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
The rule "variant" for scenario 2 where you'd put fog on explored tile certainly is harder solo than for multiplayer.
It's also very luck based, the firsts event draw influencing the whole game. You will have ten times an easier game if you first 2 draws are a ? than if they are both books.

Easiest as in most scenarios is probably 2 or 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.